APE manual tensioner help please - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2014, 3:43 PM Thread Starter
FNG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

APE manual tensioner help please

Hi guys, well the weekend is upon me and since I have my new torque wrench I reckon it's time to replace the CCT with the APE.

now am I better removing the valve cover to do this (the rad and exhaust are off anyway) or should I just remove the old CCT and replace without disturbing any of the components?

I know removing the cover would allow me to keep an eye on the chain incase it jumps but I'm a little unsure as I'm not exactly a confident mech so disturbing the valve cover is a quandary for me............

FNG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-08-2014, 4:08 PM

Reputation Power: 6

Re: APE manual tensioner help please

it should be fine. there is no way your cam chain should ever be loose enough to jump a tooth without removing a cam or gear. i just went though a cam chain problem... it was TO TIGHT lol.

anyway you should be completely fine. dont go turning the motor over though when you have the tensioner out.

honestly i never understood why people would want a take that tensioner out for a manual one. its more of a hassle IMHO. but whatever makes you happy i guess
post #3 of 6 Old 02-08-2014, 5:02 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrayford View Post
it should be fine. there is no way your cam chain should ever be loose enough to jump a tooth without removing a cam or gear. i just went though a cam chain problem... it was TO TIGHT lol.

anyway you should be completely fine. dont go turning the motor over though when you have the tensioner out.

honestly i never understood why people would want a take that tensioner out for a manual one. its more of a hassle IMHO. but whatever makes you happy i guess
They can and do fail. Not as often as on bikes like the VTR1000f, but still it can be a problem.
Here's one I took apart to find out why - turns out the insides were a bit rusty, and the spring was also maybe a bit compressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-08-2014, 6:27 PM

Reputation Power: 6

well anything can fail i guess, manuel or automatic.

i just look at it like this 1. you cant put to much pressure on the chain with auto tensioner. 2 you don't have to maintenance the auto tensioner.

if the auto tensioner does fail the chain will become loose over time and you will start to hear the "ticking" cam chain noise.

if the manual tensioner needs to be adjusted your going to still know its time by the same ticking noise. but instead of replacing the auto tensioner.( maybe once, ever in the race case) every time the manual tensioner becomes loose you have to get your hands in there and to me the easiest way is lift the tank and air box. and i don't know about you but i don't like taking my tank off any more then i have too.

again this is just my opinion and not to thread jack. but remove the auto tensioner and go ahead and put your manuel one in. you'll be fine with out removing the valve cover like i said.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2014, 9:22 PM Thread Starter
FNG

Reputation Power: 7

thanks, I should have mentioned, it's not a CBR600 I have but a CB900RR-S 900 (95).............

FNG
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM

Reputation Power: 34

On the 900 it's a piece of cake to get to the tensioner. You will get better access if you remove the RHS mid panel, but it's not required.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page