98 cbr 900 not running right - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-09-2014, 4:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

98 cbr 900 not running right

I bought a 98 cbr 900 with 24k miles on it. Bike had been sitting up for a while. I rode it home after I purchased it. Rode about 40 miles. The bike had a little sputter when taking off from a dead stop at low rpms. Ran smooth after 3000 rpm. I assumed it was the carbs. So I removed the carbs and cleaned them well. The jets were very gunky along with lots of other gunk in the float area. It ran a lot better after that. I also replaced the plugs. I put another 20 miles on it and it ran great. Left one night to go to the gym and within a mile it lost power like it was only running on 2 or 3 cylinders. It wouldn't rev past 10000 rpm. I barely made it back home. I suspect it was a bad coil or plug wire. All the wires ohmed good. I started the bike and check the temp on the exhaust manifold and 2 and 3 were hotter than my heat gun can read. 1 and 4 was only about 170 Fahrenheit. I was certain it was a coil so I purchased a new coil and put in on. Started it up and now it runs worse. Barely keep it running with the choke. Check the exhaust manifold. 1, 2, &3 were only like 60 degrees and 4 was 170. Going to check the plugs next but need some input. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-09-2014, 6:47 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: 98 cbr 900 not running right

I've learned it's become customary when writing your first post looking for help to hit the newbie/introductory and give us some background and history. We also like to see lots of pics, and in your case it may help us help you. Originally I was going to have you revisit the carbs. Ones version of a good cleaning is different from another's. Make sure you get all the jets out and cleaned, as well as the fuel screws. Spray carb cleaner through EVERY passageway and make sure it comes out the other end. Take the choke ie the fuel enrichener's out and toss carb cleaner through them as well. And now that you have changed out a coil and it runs worse I would check and recheck that they are wired correctly. Also, be sure the tank is clean and that the fuel is fresh. You also may want to run a fuel cleaner like Seafoam or similar. Usually these bikes are pretty bullet proof electrically. Being that this was your first post, stay on it and let us know what happens.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 25 Old 02-10-2014, 9:00 PM Thread Starter

Didn't know I needed an introduction. Let's see I'm a 33 yr old manager of operations and maintenance of mechanical coal sampling equipment. I have taking things apart since I was a kid to see how they work. I do all my own auto maintenance. This is my first motorcycle. I can fix anything that needs a replacement part to get it going again. I use google and YouTube when ever I trouble shoot something with no previous knowledge of the item. I refuse to pay someone for something I can do myself with a little guidance.

Well I did some work yesterday evening on it. Check the plugs. 1 & 4 were black. I cleaned up and did a spark test on all cylinders. Spark at every wire. Put it back together and still ran bad. The gas was fresh 93 octane but kind of low. I switched to reserve and it actually seemed to run better and this time it seemed like 3 cylinders firing. #4 cylinder exhaust manifold read at 170 degrees other manifolds off the chart. I'm thinking maybe a bad plug wire on #4. When I originally ohmed the wires 4 gave me a crazy all over the place reading. After I checked 1,2,3 and the 4 again. The wire ohmed the same as the others. This seemed strange because I was certain that it made sense that I had a bad wire. I order a new wire yesterday. Should be here by Thursday. I'll let you know how it runs then.
I'm sure it is wired right. I have the manual for the schematic. I cleaned the carb spotless when I first bought the bike and it ran better than when I first bought it. I took it completely apart. I removed some old pieces of the deteriorated air cleaner filter in the diaphragms. Cleaned floats and jets spotless. Blew it all out with compressed air.

I think it is a spark problem.

See photos in next post

Last edited by Natedogbra; 02-10-2014 at 9:02 PM. Reason: Wrong word used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 02-10-2014, 9:18 PM Thread Starter

Here she is
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg‎  
post #5 of 25 Old 02-10-2014, 9:42 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogbra View Post
Here she is
Looks really clean. Nice, I always liked the solid red. Keep us up on the progress with the coil wire. Sounds like you got it dialed in.

Same reason I learned to do stuff myself, didn't want to pay someone to do something I could do just as well or better.

Keep us updated.

post #6 of 25 Old 02-16-2014, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Got it running now. Wasn't the coil or the plug wire. 1 and 4 plugs were black from no fuel. I think one was a clogged jet and and the other cylinder was the diaphragm not seated properly.

Do I pulled the intake air filter box off. It started a lot easier this way. Pulled the 1 & 4 spark plug caps and it didn't make a difference. Verified it was only running on cylinder 2&3. Pulled the carbs and loosened each float drain and fuel came out of each carb. So I became more puzzled. Thought maybe I needed to rebuild carbs 1&4. So I tried something that the manual tells you not to do when cleaning and disassembling the carbs. I switch everything inside the float bowls and diaphragm from 1&2 then switched 3&4. Figured if 1&4 were now firing and 2&3 weren't then I would have singled out the need to rebuild the carbs.

During this process I found one the jets in carb 1 could not see through it. Found the diaphragm in carb 4 not seated properly. Switched everything and put it back together and now she runs like a champ.

Next I'll put the old coil back on and see if it was ever bad. I could have sworn this would have the initial problem since when I checked the carbs when this originally happened the diaphragms were all seated properly and I didn't see a clogged jet.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-16-2014, 2:09 AM

Garage

Well, at least you dove back in and found an issue. Better to have found a problem then bang your head on the wall finding nothing. Let us know about the coil wire.

post #8 of 25 Old 02-16-2014, 5:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Check the fuel strainer in the tank, as you've cleaned the carbs once already my guess is lots of crap in the tank still... If you don't may just happen again!

Oh and welcome

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #9 of 25 Old 02-16-2014, 4:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi, I had a similar problem, i put in a inline filter, it saves keep taking off the carbs.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-16-2014, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm going install the inline filter since I have already purchased one and found out the 98's don't have them. I will clean the fuel strainer in the next day or so. So today I went to the gym which is only a few miles away. Bike started right up with the choke and then unchoked it. Let it warm up then went and came back home. No problems. Bike does have a slight stutter under 3000rpm. After that she pulls hard fast and smooth. I think it needs some tuning maybe. So a little later I went to the autopart store which is only a like 2 miles away. 100 feet from pulling it dies at the red light. Started it back up and rode into the parking lot. Bought something to fix my aunts car and decided to try and make it home. Got 200-300 yards down the road and she died. Felt like it was running on 2 cylinders again. Call the wife and had her bring me some tools and plugs. I thought they may be fouled. Checked them real quick and they were good. Switched to reserve on the tank and she fired up and ran fine. I had just put 1 gallon of premium gas in the tank.
I am definitely gonna clean the strainer before I ride anywheres again. And put more gas in it than a gallon. Maybe the strainer might fix the low rpm sputter.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-25-2014, 3:57 PM

sounds like its overloading with fuel, the fuel petcock could be bad and flooding it out bad like mine was doing. the fuel petcock is a common problem with dumping fuel into the carbs, etc. I would start there could be a good start.
post #12 of 25 Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I put the inline filter in and cleaned the fuel strainer. Didn't make a difference. Still sputters until 3000 rpms and runs fast and fine. I took apart the petcock assembly and the diaphragm looked fine. I don't know what to do next. I did just buy a 2008 cbr 1000. Man it is so much more nimble. Check this bad girl out.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg‎  
post #13 of 25 Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Ain't got no garage cbrs live inside my wife is awesome #cbr problems
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg‎  
post #14 of 25 Old 03-07-2014, 5:36 PM

I Have a very clean 1998 RRW which has just developed EXACTLY the faults as yours -

I have drained & cleaned the tank. stripped the carbs thoroughly TWICE (completely stripped) , changed all 4 spark plugs with iridium ones, swapped both coils for new ones.

Still the problem persists.. gonna take the fairing off, chase the wires back to the sender unit, then take a peek at what awaits on the other end of the wires.. I seem to remember my nc23 had a problem in there.

Gonna sort this sucker out !!!

Will keep you posted..

Last edited by fireblade4444; 03-07-2014 at 5:38 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
post #15 of 25 Old 04-20-2014, 6:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Had the same problem with mine after it had been standing for a few years after stripping the carbs numerous times I went the whole hog and had the ultrasonically cleaned also cleaned the fuel tank as mine had rust in it which just bloked everything up again so I put in a hand full of small stones in the tank with some washing liquid and water and lashed it to my cement mixer for an hour or so came out like new never had a problem since

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page