RRV Bottom-end noises - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-13-2014, 5:37 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-13-2014
Location: Camberley, UK
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
RRV Bottom-end noises

Hello all, (a new forum for me)

I have a 97 RRV which has been running rather nicely of late, until the drive to work this morning where I became aware of a deep sounding clunking noise. The noise feels like it's right next to my left foot, and I think it's engine speed related.

I'm thinking bottom end bearings or possibly something front sprocket related. What's the general thoughts? What should I be looking for / checking?

The bike doesn't do much millage, perhaps only a couple of thousand a year TOPS, and generally not used for the work run (unless car is broken, again ).

*If there is anyone in Camberley/Reading/Guildford/Basingstoke/Farnham area who is knowledgeable and wouldn't mind having a listen, I would be very grateful (happy to come to you).

Thank you.
derek_bartram is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-13-2014, 8:57 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_bartram View Post
Hello all, (a new forum for me)

I have a 97 RRV which has been running rather nicely of late, until the drive to work this morning where I became aware of a deep sounding clunking noise. The noise feels like it's right next to my left foot, and I think it's engine speed related.

I'm thinking bottom end bearings or possibly something front sprocket related. What's the general thoughts? What should I be looking for / checking?

The bike doesn't do much millage, perhaps only a couple of thousand a year TOPS, and generally not used for the work run (unless car is broken, again ).

*If there is anyone in Camberley/Reading/Guildford/Basingstoke/Farnham area who is knowledgeable and wouldn't mind having a listen, I would be very grateful (happy to come to you).

Thank you.

Can you video it (with a bunch of rags over the muffler outlet)?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-13-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-13-2014
Location: Camberley, UK
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

I will do my best to video it... but it's as much feel as it is noise... will give it a go when I get home (if I make it :S)
derek_bartram is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 02-13-2014, 5:07 PM
 
Join Date: 09-28-2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
         
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Is the noise there in neutral or when in gear? Could the chain need proper lube and adjustment? Some strange noises can be heard from the chain when out of adjustment.
Kevo954 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-13-2014, 7:05 PM
 
Join Date: 08-08-2013
Location: Sarasota Florida
Age: 52
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
           
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Could it be a loose engine mount? Sounds like something is loose and moving under torque!
1999BladeMan is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-14-2014, 5:43 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-13-2014
Location: Camberley, UK
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo954 View Post
Is the noise there in neutral or when in gear? Could the chain need proper lube and adjustment? Some strange noises can be heard from the chain when out of adjustment.
10 points for that man - spot on.

I couldn't reproduce it when I got home, so I went around a checked the basic things (including engine mounts - also a good idea, 5 points to you ) such as chain. The chain was very very slack; all tightened up and so far so good (only 5 miles to work and clear on a Friday).

Thank you all, help much appreciated!
derek_bartram is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 02-21-2014, 5:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-13-2014
Location: Camberley, UK
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Oh dear... I may need to rescind a few of those points... the chain was a red herring.

Over the last week of doing slightly longer journeys, and the engine getting a bit warmer in the 'less' rain, the noise is back

I've done some careful driving to try and find exactly when and not the sound occurs;
  • It does NOT occur while stationary ever, even if in gear
  • It occurs while moving, and is far more pronounced under acceleration from low speed
  • It appears to be more pronounced at lower speed, although I cannot rule out there is more torque being applied at this point
  • It doesn't appear to change much if I pull the clutch in slightly - unless enough to reduce power to the wheel
  • The noise frequency increases with road speed, I believe even across gears (i.e. 2nd gear at 5000 rpm has a higher frequency than 1st gear at 5000 rpm)
  • There is an audible and physical element to the problem; under 4000rpm you can very clearly hear it, but it can heard right up until 6000+rpm and you can certainly feel a slight sensation in the left hand footrest
  • The source feels like it's on the left-hand side of the bike; I cannot feel anything on the right hand side
I'm now thinking it's got to be something drive train or clutch output end of gearbox - what do you think? what would you check?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

*I add, I'm reasonably mechanical so can handle moderately complex things although problem not removing the engine on account of my back - for example, I'm currently rebuilding a clutch and gearbox end of my car.

**If you're in Surrey, Farnham and would come take a look/ride, then please give me a message. I'm sure I could find some cake from the missus
derek_bartram is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 02-21-2014, 7:13 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_bartram View Post
Oh dear... I may need to rescind a few of those points... the chain was a red herring.

Over the last week of doing slightly longer journeys, and the engine getting a bit warmer in the 'less' rain, the noise is back

I've done some careful driving to try and find exactly when and not the sound occurs;
  • It does NOT occur while stationary ever, even if in gear
  • It occurs while moving, and is far more pronounced under acceleration from low speed
  • It appears to be more pronounced at lower speed, although I cannot rule out there is more torque being applied at this point
  • It doesn't appear to change much if I pull the clutch in slightly - unless enough to reduce power to the wheel
  • The noise frequency increases with road speed, I believe even across gears (i.e. 2nd gear at 5000 rpm has a higher frequency than 1st gear at 5000 rpm)
  • There is an audible and physical element to the problem; under 4000rpm you can very clearly hear it, but it can heard right up until 6000+rpm and you can certainly feel a slight sensation in the left hand footrest
  • The source feels like it's on the left-hand side of the bike; I cannot feel anything on the right hand side
I'm now thinking it's got to be something drive train or clutch output end of gearbox - what do you think? what would you check?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

*I add, I'm reasonably mechanical so can handle moderately complex things although problem not removing the engine on account of my back - for example, I'm currently rebuilding a clutch and gearbox end of my car.

**If you're in Surrey, Farnham and would come take a look/ride, then please give me a message. I'm sure I could find some cake from the missus

Still sounds chain related.
How worn are the chain and sprockets?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-21-2014, 9:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-13-2014
Location: Camberley, UK
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Still sounds chain related.
How worn are the chain and sprockets?
The adjuster for chain tension is almost at the limit of 'ok' condition now and close to entering the 'replace' section.

How do I check the chain / sprocket condition? i.e. what am I looking for (I know how to physically find/access/see them)

Thanks.
derek_bartram is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-21-2014, 6:45 PM
 
Join Date: 08-08-2013
Location: Sarasota Florida
Age: 52
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
           
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_bartram View Post
The adjuster for chain tension is almost at the limit of 'ok' condition now and close to entering the 'replace' section.

How do I check the chain / sprocket condition? i.e. what am I looking for (I know how to physically find/access/see them)

Thanks.
If you are that close to replacing the CMT, then I would just replace it now before you end up with real issues. As far as the sprockets, check for "rounding" of the teeth on the front and rear sprocket. The front sprocket has a cover you are going to have to remove to see it. Also check to make sure that the chain that is on the bike matches the sprocket size, 520, 525 or 530! Also look down the chain to make sure it is not going at an angle due to someone not adjusting correctly.
1999BladeMan is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-13-2014
Location: Camberley, UK
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999BladeMan View Post
If you are that close to replacing the CMT, then I would just replace it now before you end up with real issues. As far as the sprockets, check for "rounding" of the teeth on the front and rear sprocket. The front sprocket has a cover you are going to have to remove to see it. Also check to make sure that the chain that is on the bike matches the sprocket size, 520, 525 or 530! Also look down the chain to make sure it is not going at an angle due to someone not adjusting correctly.
Thanks - trying to hold off doing stuff if I can... it's been a really bad year for things breaking and getting a bit tight on cash now (only using the bike at the moment because the car is in pieces which I fix the clutch issues).

I would like to be sure it's a chain/sprocket issue before shelling out for a new chain - if there are serious gearbox/clutch issues I don't want to start buying other bits until I have the cash to get it completely roadworthy (if that makes sense).

What's a CMT?

Nice weather - I'll go take a look though (and probably take a few snaps for your expert eyes please)
derek_bartram is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 02-22-2014, 7:02 PM
 
Join Date: 08-08-2013
Location: Sarasota Florida
Age: 52
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
           
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

I am going to have to agree with Bladeracer. I read your last quote again and it does sound like a chain issue. I understand the money thing, if we were rich we would have mechanics fix everything for us. I happen to have a front sprocket in great condition if you need it. I went with a smaller sprocket. Just pay shipping and you can have it!
1999BladeMan is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 02-23-2014, 8:01 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-13-2014
Location: Camberley, UK
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: RRV Bottom-end noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999BladeMan View Post
I am going to have to agree with Bladeracer. I read your last quote again and it does sound like a chain issue. I understand the money thing, if we were rich we would have mechanics fix everything for us. I happen to have a front sprocket in great condition if you need it. I went with a smaller sprocket. Just pay shipping and you can have it!
Thank you that's a very kind offer - I should be ok to wait until payday and get a new cheap chain & sprocket combo though. *My post wasn't a 'I need help' but rather more a 'need to be sure before spending money' remark

I haven't managed to get out and look yet - I've been doing a lot of lifting of car bits recently and I've put my back out (so that's a 'you can move a gearbox by yourself, but only if you don't like your back).

On the plus side, I'm out of country on work for a few days, so the bike can wait (which is handy as I don't think I could ride it anyway ).

Thank you all --- I'll let you know how I get on!
derek_bartram is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
900RR Bad Noises... Help! keithb Honda FireBlade 14 02-08-2013 4:38 PM
954's engine noises ASA Honda FireBlade 13 01-15-2013 8:37 AM
common noises? TwI$$t3dDR3 Honda FireBlade 0 05-09-2009 12:34 AM
929 noises! gilessav Honda FireBlade 12 04-04-2008 1:01 AM
Two new noises (954) Chekman Honda FireBlade 11 07-27-2004 11:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome