Bollox...................HELP - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 8:25 AM Thread Starter
FNG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Bollox...................HELP

ADVICE...................SCRAP IT OR SORT IT........................................

I have developed a knock (pretty damn audible) that sounds to be coming from the valve train............having spoke to a few guys over the phone it has been suggested that my timing has jumped a tooth and possibly bent a valve or 2 which would be a very costly job

now I have a dilemma..............do I scrap it or do I sort it.........

THE HISTORY.....................

Fitted a manual tensioner a few weeks back, seemed to run fine, pulled like a train, last 2 days the engine has started to give out this highly audible tick, clatter, knock, seems to come from the valve train, gets hot quick, I swear I can smell fuel from the engine oil, no funny idle, idles fine, was getting vibrations, put screwdriver to my ear and went over the engine............definate knocking in the vale train/cylinder head, no loss of oil pressure, still starts and runs but was running funny, getting to high revs but loss of power I would say..............

what say you?

FNG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 8:32 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: Bollox...................HELP

Put the old CCT back in and see what happens, maybe the noise will go away.

Sometimes the chain will skip one, and the valves can open incorrectly causing pinking or detonation, but without hitting the pistons. You might be lucky enough that it just needs the timing reset. And a proper CCT.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 8:37 AM Thread Starter
FNG

well I thought that it could be CCT needing adjusted, but I adjusted it ever so slightly and it is still knocking its head off, definite top end, would say over a few valves, bit hard to pin point with an aftermarket can, but it is highly audible, and definite knock, knock, knock................

FNG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 8:46 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Might just be detonating.

IF you really had a valve knocking, I doubt the engine would run, it certainly wouldn't run on 4 cylinders.

STOP running the engine with the manual tensioner in it.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 9:27 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
ADVICE...................SCRAP IT OR SORT IT........................................

I have developed a knock (pretty damn audible) that sounds to be coming from the valve train............having spoke to a few guys over the phone it has been suggested that my timing has jumped a tooth and possibly bent a valve or 2 which would be a very costly job

now I have a dilemma..............do I scrap it or do I sort it.........

THE HISTORY.....................

Fitted a manual tensioner a few weeks back, seemed to run fine, pulled like a train, last 2 days the engine has started to give out this highly audible tick, clatter, knock, seems to come from the valve train, gets hot quick, I swear I can smell fuel from the engine oil, no funny idle, idles fine, was getting vibrations, put screwdriver to my ear and went over the engine............definate knocking in the vale train/cylinder head, no loss of oil pressure, still starts and runs but was running funny, getting to high revs but loss of power I would say..............

what say you?

At least do some diagnostics.
Check compression.
Are all four headers at similar temperatures?
Is there fuel in the crankcase?
Has the tensioner come loose?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
FNG

all four headers are cooking hot, small smell of fuel (I believe from the dipstick), oil looks kind of thin but is brand new, was burping cooling system this morning, some bubbles but not a lot, have a recording (audio), just back from a very knowledgeable and experienced bike tech (33 yrs all bikes, ducati certified), going in next week for diagnostics, will have to wait and see......

the tap seems to be on #3 cylinder valves, just hoping it's not big end bearing creating play and piston kissing the valve, but guy reckons it could be as simple as poor carbs/synch, I don't have any experience so it's a waiting game, fingers crossed it's not going to be bad............I love my blade, breaking my heart this...............

FNG
post #7 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 AM

Reputation Power: 291

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Hope its an easy(ish) fix for you....where ru?

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #8 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Reputation Power: 16

What bike is it?

2001 Erion 929 Race Bike
1998 Ducati 748
2002 CR125/CR500 Aluminum Conversion
1994 CR500 Completely Built
2000CR250/CR500 Conversion In Process
1950 Indian Warrior 500cc Vertical Twin
1995 Mustang Cobra Turbo Built 820rwhp/879ftlbs
post #9 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
FNG

95 blade (RRS)

FNG
post #10 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
FNG

rec_140304_134453.mp3 this is the audio...............sorry about the quality, I had the mic sitting at the cylinder head, above the headers

FNG
post #11 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 3:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

try holding your hand with a rag over the outlet of the exhaust so all we can hear is the motor.
post #12 of 30 Old 03-04-2014, 3:14 PM Thread Starter
FNG

lol tried that, aftermarket can, but what your hearing is the engine,

FNG
post #13 of 30 Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
FNG

this waiting is doing my head in, I've been hammering the sites and info, so I have a few questions...............

I've already sourced a engine, although it is in a bike and is gonna cost me in the region of 1500 to buy the bike but its only done 15k miles so I'm thinking buy that take what I need and punt the rest to cover some of the costs...... anyway the questions,

if my head gasket was knackered would it cause the noise I'm hearing, as if either water was getting into the oil thereby thinning it out, or if oil was getting past the gasket and somehow clogging the plugs and/or getting onto the valves?

I'm doing somersaults in my sleep and my butt is doing cartwheels trying to figure this out, I'm not good at waiting, esp when I have a small window of opportunity on what seems to be an ideal solution......................

FNG
post #14 of 30 Old 03-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
Attachment 58834 this is the audio...............sorry about the quality, I had the mic sitting at the cylinder head, above the headers

I can't hear anything that sounds like there's a dramatic problem.
If you block the muffler perhaps I might hear better, but I wouldn't be concerned.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #15 of 30 Old 03-05-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
FNG

M8 I can't tell you the stress I'm encountering, i would get another recording but I'm laying off running her (damage limitation), i just have to make it to tues when the tech picks her up, have heard nothing but great things about this guy, real proper tech, pricey, but genius when it comes to bikes, a real old hand with loads of marques, really knows his tech.

I just have serious paranoia and nightmares over this, shes my everyday transport, work is a fair bit away, trying to strike a balance between cost and outcome.............more damage limitation lol...........examining all options with a very fine toothcomb.........i hate waiting lol

FNG

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page