Clutch release - cable won't reach after rebuild - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2014, 7:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Clutch release - cable won't reach after rebuild

Hi everyone,
If anyone can help with this I'd be much obliged..
I've just completed a rebuild of my 954RR 02 due to a nikasil failure on one barrel. I'm the 2nd owner and I guess the bike was run too hot at some point. I've put iron sleeves in keeping the same bore and once it's running I'll keep you all posted on the result as I gather this is rarely done. Ok, my problem is that on replacing the engine and re-attaching all components I've found that the clutch cable won't reach the clutch release - mounted atop the clutch housing. The release turns clockwise and stops at 180 deg so even if the cable did reach there'd be no more pull from the handlebar lever to disengage the clutch. I've obviously done something daft on putting the bottom end back together but if I have to disassemble the engine again I think I'll be kicking myself so hard that I'll probably ditch the bike - which I love more than any bike I've ridden. So, if anyone has any insights, please write. BTW I have looked in my manual but there is no mention of how the mechanism should be set. So knowing me I would have put it back the same way it came out (or not)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-05-2014, 1:09 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: Clutch release - cable won't reach after rebuild

Pics would help

2001 Erion 929 Race Bike
1998 Ducati 748
2002 CR125/CR500 Aluminum Conversion
1994 CR500 Completely Built
2000CR250/CR500 Conversion In Process
1950 Indian Warrior 500cc Vertical Twin
1995 Mustang Cobra Turbo Built 820rwhp/879ftlbs
post #3 of 7 Old 03-05-2014, 5:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 56

Garage

Section 9 of the service manual covers every step for installing the clutch and clutch cable. Maybe you have the cable routed wrong from the handlebar to the clutch side of the motor.

Pics would be helpful.

SOLD: 03 CBR954
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 2:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. A friend reckons this is a simple cam issue and I need to crack the clutch cover and turn the thing around. I'll try this afternoon and if it doesn't work I'll be back with picks of internals too. Thanks chaps.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 6:46 AM Thread Starter

So, I can't get a photo up cos my pic isn't on an external URL. If anyone knows of another way let me know please - I've got quite a few pics of the rebuild.
I've taken the clutch cover off and am trying to seat it back so the cam clutch pull engages with the pull rod. It does do this but I'm not getting enough turn on the cam to either engage the clutch cable let alone pull the rod. Also, would one be able to pull by hand the pull rod, if so I can't which is leading me to believe I'll have to delve deeper. Thanks
post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 8:59 AM Thread Starter

Problem solved! Just in case anyone has same... Make sure the last clutch plate is set to the shallower slots in the clutch basket - easily overlooked at 2am and slightly inebriated! Also refitting a clutch doesn't seem to have the same cable play as originally so I needed to play out the cable and will probably need to trim in when all set up.
If anyone can advise on how to post photos without a url link please write.
Thanks backdoc and zfrilly3 for your interest.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 8:46 AM Thread Starter

New problem if anyone can help please?!!
With the rear wheel off the ground, clutch cover off and the bike in gear, if I turn the inner clutch basket the rear wheel turns as it should, same thing when I hand crank the engine over - outer, inner clutch basket and rear wheel turn - so all is connected up ok. My question and what's bothering me before I put the cover the back on (and finally run out of Honda Bond) is that with the bike in gear I can move the inner basket around still - is this right, do the plates all kind of bind up when the bikes running, maybe the clutch plates expand with the oil soak they get but I can't see how this freewheeling inner basket when the bikes in gear is going to work. Please help, anyone?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
clutch release , rebuild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page