1993 CBR 900rr weak spark. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-15-2014, 2:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1993 CBR 900rr weak spark.

Hi,

Looking for some feedback on the weak spark issue.

Bike was lying up for 7 years. Done a full service, new plugs, new battery, flushed the tank, replacing fuel lines and carb strip and clean. Lots of other work completed below.

The spark is orange instead of the nice blue colour. Tried different plugs: no change.
Bike sometimes backfires and refuses to start. Also think Iíve killed the battery with all the charging cycles.

Was getting high resistance on electrical connections, including earths. All connections cleaned and WD40íd. Now resistance 0.2 to 1 Ohmís. Even added extra earths.
Rectifier/Regulator is good. All readings match the Haynes manual. (ordered new R/R anyway).
Stator is ~0.4 Ohmís between yellow wires and nothing to ground.
Voltage on B/W wires at coils is reading what the battery voltage is.

Coil resistance:
Coil (1+4) 3 Ohmís and HT side 25.1 K Ohms with spark plug caps on.
Coil (2+3) 2.9 Ohmís and HT side 26.2 k Ohmís.
Nonetheless I took the caps off and cleaned them and WD40íd them. The caps have around 5k Ohm's.
Pulse Generator: 440 Ohmís
Plugs are CR9EH-9
Reading ~0.2 Ohms between the other coil wires to ICM.
Good ground to ICU.

Exhausted manifold on cylinder 2+3 had holes in them. Removed them and got repaired I tuned the engine over (Ign off) and watched a fine petrol mist come out of each exhaust port. So happy with the carbsÖ.somewhat. The choke was stuck when I stripped the carbs. I didnít strip the choke on the rebuild, so I think I may have missed something.

Thanks,

Declan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2014, 5:23 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 1993 CBR 900rr weak spark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declanx View Post
Hi,

Looking for some feedback on the weak spark issue.

Bike was lying up for 7 years. Done a full service, new plugs, new battery, flushed the tank, replacing fuel lines and carb strip and clean. Lots of other work completed below.

The spark is orange instead of the nice blue colour. Tried different plugs: no change.
Bike sometimes backfires and refuses to start. Also think Iíve killed the battery with all the charging cycles.

Was getting high resistance on electrical connections, including earths. All connections cleaned and WD40íd. Now resistance 0.2 to 1 Ohmís. Even added extra earths.
Rectifier/Regulator is good. All readings match the Haynes manual. (ordered new R/R anyway).
Stator is ~0.4 Ohmís between yellow wires and nothing to ground.
Voltage on B/W wires at coils is reading what the battery voltage is.

Coil resistance:
Coil (1+4) 3 Ohmís and HT side 25.1 K Ohms with spark plug caps on.
Coil (2+3) 2.9 Ohmís and HT side 26.2 k Ohmís.
Nonetheless I took the caps off and cleaned them and WD40íd them. The caps have around 5k Ohm's.
Pulse Generator: 440 Ohmís
Plugs are CR9EH-9
Reading ~0.2 Ohms between the other coil wires to ICM.
Good ground to ICU.

Exhausted manifold on cylinder 2+3 had holes in them. Removed them and got repaired I tuned the engine over (Ign off) and watched a fine petrol mist come out of each exhaust port. So happy with the carbsÖ.somewhat. The choke was stuck when I stripped the carbs. I didnít strip the choke on the rebuild, so I think I may have missed something.

Thanks,

Declan.

Turn off the fuel, drain the float bowls, try starter fluid. If she fires and runs then the problem is fuel supply.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 03-19-2014, 9:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks bladeracer. The carb bowls are full. Waiting on a new rectifier and will stick in a new battery. Will update when I get them.
Would the ICM cause a weak spark?

Dec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-01-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Hello,

Just to update: Issue was the carbs. I used a "inert" vacuum grease on the rubber seals on my last carb rebuild. Turn out the "inert" grease turned into gel when mixed with petrol. So stripped and cleaned the carbs again and made a cheap ultrasonic bath with cheap cola, plastic tub and sander to clean the carbs in.

Upon rebuild the bike fired into life on all cylinders. Balanced the carbs and now is running sweet.

Moral of the story: Don't use fancy grease.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2015, 3:13 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declanx View Post
Hello,

Just to update: Issue was the carbs. I used a "inert" vacuum grease on the rubber seals on my last carb rebuild. Turn out the "inert" grease turned into gel when mixed with petrol. So stripped and cleaned the carbs again and made a cheap ultrasonic bath with cheap cola, plastic tub and sander to clean the carbs in.

Upon rebuild the bike fired into life on all cylinders. Balanced the carbs and now is running sweet.

Moral of the story: Don't use fancy grease.

Thanks for the update! Coils going bad on these models is pretty few and far between. In fact a friend of mine just used my spare 1993 RRP coils to get his 96 YZEDF750 back to life after a few years. Anyway thanks for coming back with the results!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page