1998 17" wheel conversion - sticking front brake? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 6:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1998 17" wheel conversion - sticking front brake?

Hey,

I have a 1998 900RR I've been trying to get road legal for a while now. Have had a few issues with bike shops along the way which have delayed it by 6 months or so >.<

However I've now run into an issue and I was wondering if someone here can help.

The front wheel was munted when I bought it, so I've put in a 17" instead of the stock 16". I have the axle spacers etc and the wheel is centered fine. My reading online suggested that you should:
  • Use a 600 F3 wheel
  • Use disks from a 1999 1100XX Blackbird
And that this works fine (source 1, source 2).

Done that but the front brakes stick/drag to the point where the bike can't even easily be pushed anywhere. The disk offset is too much, compressing the calipers even without the brake lever pulled.

Anyone run into this problem and know the solution? Any suggestions gratefully received... having not had a bike all summer I'm now just hoping to have it running for a track day next month! Carbs are on the kitchen table to be cleaned before then, most of the rest of the bike is back together... but it ain't going nowhere without brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 8:03 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 1998 17" wheel conversion - sticking front brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milts View Post
Hey,

I have a 1998 900RR I've been trying to get road legal for a while now. Have had a few issues with bike shops along the way which have delayed it by 6 months or so >.<

However I've now run into an issue and I was wondering if someone here can help.

The front wheel was munted when I bought it, so I've put in a 17" instead of the stock 16". I have the axle spacers etc and the wheel is centered fine. My reading online suggested that you should:
  • Use a 600 F3 wheel
  • Use disks from a 1999 1100XX Blackbird
And that this works fine (source 1, source 2).

Done that but the front brakes stick/drag to the point where the bike can't even easily be pushed anywhere. The disk offset is too much, compressing the calipers even without the brake lever pulled.

Anyone run into this problem and know the solution? Any suggestions gratefully received... having not had a bike all summer I'm now just hoping to have it running for a track day next month! Carbs are on the kitchen table to be cleaned before then, most of the rest of the bike is back together... but it ain't going nowhere without brakes.
If you loosen the axle does the wheel free up?
If you loosen off the calipers does the wheel spin freely?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 8:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Also, did you clean the callipers before you did the mods? It's possible the pistons are just sticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 8:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys. It's definitely the offset of the disks rather than sticky calipers or anything else. If you take the calipers off the wheel spins freely.... I'm thinking of using washers to bring the disks further out, I'll have to experiment and see what happens. However I am worried about messing with the front brakes of a 130hp bike....
*edit* meant to say to bring the calipers further out.

Last edited by milts; 03-18-2014 at 1:20 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 8:50 PM

Reputation Power: 34

You're better bet is to space the calipers in than the discs out. Longer bolts and a few m8 washers, or better yet some lathed flat spacers in one piece.

Spacing the discs out runs the risk they won't sit flat, then you get warped discs. Remember the "Flat" is flat to within 0.2mm of runout, I dobut washers are made that accurately when you need to add the error over a stack of them.

But you're even better bet would be the VFR800 wheel with later Fi-type blackbird discs, which appear to fit without spacers or mods, just new wheel spacers, or existing ones with some m20 washers if you're feeling really cheap.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
You're better bet is to space the calipers in than the discs out. Longer bolts and a few m8 washers, or better yet some lathed flat spacers in one piece.

Spacing the discs out runs the risk they won't sit flat, then you get warped discs. Remember the "Flat" is flat to within 0.2mm of runout, I dobut washers are made that accurately when you need to add the error over a stack of them.

But you're even better bet would be the VFR800 wheel with later Fi-type blackbird discs, which appear to fit without spacers or mods, just new wheel spacers, or existing ones with some m20 washers if you're feeling really cheap.
Unfortunately getting parts out here in NZ is a right pain - but I'll see if there's a VFR800 wheel sitting around 2nd hand.

I'd need to space the calipers out rather than the disks. The disk offset is too great rather than too little. This might be a bit safer?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

You should be alright spacing out the calliper with a washer or two.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-22-2014, 4:40 AM Thread Starter

Had a look at the bike today.
A washer will not work. Turns out the calipers are on the inside of the fork, so adding washers will just move them in closer instead of out further.

Frustrating. Not sure where to go next.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-22-2014, 5:34 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by milts View Post
Had a look at the bike today.
A washer will not work. Turns out the calipers are on the inside of the fork, so adding washers will just move them in closer instead of out further.

Frustrating. Not sure where to go next.

Had the same problem with my '90 GSXR750, had to grind a couple mm off each caliper to set them out a bit to fit the 1000RR wheel and discs.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page