Honda CBR 954RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 9:09 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-22-2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Honda CBR 954RR

Hello, I am new here on forum, so I hope I write in the right topic... I apologize for my bad english, sometimes I write in Google Translate..

I'm Jan, I come from Slovenia and I recently became the owner of the Honda CBR 954RR, year 2002.

The tail is painted black because it was slightly damaged, but I am a fan of black, so sooner or later it will all be black ... with original label in a conspicuous color ....
I replaced the taillight and blinkers, do holder and plate lights .... still waiting the front blinkers, because we have one broken off during transport... I have to change the tires, brake pads, brake fluid, coolant, steering bearings, and of course, oil filter and spark plugs ...
*
Oh, and also sports exhaust is already on the way....






I have the first problem: In the front sprocket a little oil leaks. Not much, but it bothers me and would like to arrange pre-season!
Obviously descend seal. I wonder whether it be replaced from the outside, or I need to open the engine?

Thank you for your answers ...
Greetings, Jan
chelichni is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 9:46 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelichni View Post
Hello, I am new here on forum, so I hope I write in the right topic... I apologize for my bad english, sometimes I write in Google Translate..

I'm Jan, I come from Slovenia and I recently became the owner of the Honda CBR 954RR, year 2002.

The tail is painted black because it was slightly damaged, but I am a fan of black, so sooner or later it will all be black ... with original label in a conspicuous color ....
I replaced the taillight and blinkers, do holder and plate lights .... still waiting the front blinkers, because we have one broken off during transport... I have to change the tires, brake pads, brake fluid, coolant, steering bearings, and of course, oil filter and spark plugs ...
*
Oh, and also sports exhaust is already on the way....






I have the first problem: In the front sprocket a little oil leaks. Not much, but it bothers me and would like to arrange pre-season!
Obviously descend seal. I wonder whether it be replaced from the outside, or I need to open the engine?

Thank you for your answers ...
Greetings, Jan

You sure it's engine oil and not just chain lube?
Cases need to be split to do the countershaft seal as it has a retaining lip on it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 9:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-22-2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Yeah, I'm sure that it is oil ....
chelichni is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 03-22-2014, 3:21 PM
 
Join Date: 01-06-2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
               
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Consider it a chain lubrication system if it is not dripping too much.

2001 Erion 929 Race Bike
1998 Ducati 748
2002 CR125/CR500 Aluminum Conversion
1994 CR500 Completely Built
2000CR250/CR500 Conversion In Process
1950 Indian Warrior 500cc Vertical Twin
1995 Mustang Cobra Turbo Built 820rwhp/879ftlbs
zfrilly3 is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 6:20 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-22-2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

haha, no seriously .... can anyone answer me?

Otherwise, today I took off the sprocket and probably see if the seal is inside or outside.
chelichni is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 6:22 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelichni View Post
haha, no seriously .... can anyone answer me?

Otherwise, today I took off the sprocket and probably see if the seal is inside or outside.

Answer you about what?
The seal has a retaining lip to prevent it blowing out due to crankcase pressure. To replace it you need to split the cases. If it had an external seal retainer bolted across it then you would know it didn't have a lip.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 03-23-2014, 6:45 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-22-2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Okay, thanks for the reply. So I'll take a mechanic .... Too much work for me ..
chelichni is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 03-26-2014, 7:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-22-2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Obviously a mechanic will have a lot of work ... And I'll pay a lot
chelichni is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 03-26-2014, 8:03 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelichni View Post
Obviously a mechanic will have a lot of work ... And I'll pay a lot

Did you determine that it's definitely the seal that's leaking?
You would probably save a significant amount if you remove the engine yourself.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 03-26-2014, 8:13 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-22-2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Nothing else can bee I think. Engine is dry elsewhere. Around the gear it is dry. I've cleaned the engine with brake cleaner and oil comes out of the front sprocket ..
About opening the engine .... I do not have enough experience with it. I can do a service, replace brake pads, fluid, paint things and much more ... But I haven't done that before...
chelichni is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-22-2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Okay, a pro Honda mechanic told me to replace the seal for about 120€ + oil and filter about 45€.
I was expecting a higher price .... And, I removed the plastic itself, because I changed the spark plug, air filter, steering bearings ....
chelichni is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelichni View Post
Okay, a pro Honda mechanic told me to replace the seal for about 120 + oil and filter about 45.
I was expecting a higher price .... And, I removed the plastic itself, because I changed the spark plug, air filter, steering bearings ....

Wow, that's a great price.
Did he say the engine has to be opened up to do it?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 03-26-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-22-2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

He said that there is a way that you can cut old seal, take it out, and then insert and glued new back .... about 40 €. As he says, it's already done a few times, and it works ...

Second, (the right) way is to open the engine and change the gasket ... Given the fact that I just bought a motorcycle, and I'm doing quite a lot of kilometers .... And I do not want to check if there is an oil under the bike, every time when I go to ride... I chose the second option.
chelichni is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelichni View Post
He said that there is a way that you can cut old seal, take it out, and then insert and glued new back .... about 40 . As he says, it's already done a few times, and it works ...

Second, (the right) way is to open the engine and change the gasket ... Given the fact that I just bought a motorcycle, and I'm doing quite a lot of kilometers .... And I do not want to check if there is an oil under the bike, every time when I go to ride... I chose the second option.

Yes, that can work, but as you know, it's not the right way to do it.
But 120E to split the engine is an excellent price.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 03-26-2014, 1:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-22-2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Honda CBR 954RR

But otherwise generally, any tips on what to keep an eye on this motorcycle? What special?

They told me that steering stabilizer is "must have" on that bike....... Any other similar thing?
chelichni is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
03 Honda 954rr fs Lucian954 Motorcycles For Sale 8 04-09-2012 7:30 PM
Custom Honda 954rr racin12jason Motorcycles For Sale 0 03-09-2011 7:16 PM
TRE for Honda 954rr este02954rr Honda FireBlade 7 02-25-2010 10:58 PM
02 Honda 954rr in MN honda3x23 Motorcycles For Sale 0 09-23-2009 2:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome