WHEN TO CHECK VALVE SHIMS - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-22-2014, 6:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

WHEN TO CHECK VALVE SHIMS

I have a 99 900rr. I don't know if the valve shims have ever been checked or anything. It has 22k miles, and was somewhat abused when I bought it. I have no issues, accept a very light valve noise that can be heard, and I mean light, but nothing crazy at all. Just wondering if it would be a waste of time to open her up and check the clearances. Are there any indicators of when the valve shims need to be redone? Also, I have a set of 135 main jets I have been holding onto and I want to put them in. I think I would need to drop the needle to #4 position, but what about the air mixture screws. How many turns out? What real gain would I see from these change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-22-2014, 8:05 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: WHEN TO CHECK VALVE SHIMS

Well it doesn't take an extremely long time to check the valves and at 22000 miles I recommend you bite the bullet. It can save you thousands of $ compared to waiting for them to be wrong and tear up cams and valves.

2001 Erion 929 Race Bike
1998 Ducati 748
2002 CR125/CR500 Aluminum Conversion
1994 CR500 Completely Built
2000CR250/CR500 Conversion In Process
1950 Indian Warrior 500cc Vertical Twin
1995 Mustang Cobra Turbo Built 820rwhp/879ftlbs
post #3 of 13 Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999BladeMan View Post
I have a 99 900rr. I don't know if the valve shims have ever been checked or anything. It has 22k miles, and was somewhat abused when I bought it. I have no issues, accept a very light valve noise that can be heard, and I mean light, but nothing crazy at all. Just wondering if it would be a waste of time to open her up and check the clearances. Are there any indicators of when the valve shims need to be redone? Also, I have a set of 135 main jets I have been holding onto and I want to put them in. I think I would need to drop the needle to #4 position, but what about the air mixture screws. How many turns out? What real gain would I see from these change?
Pretty sure the maintenance interval to inspect the clearances is 16k. And even if you inspect them doesn't mean you'll be changing any out, but it's possible. The 135 mains probably won't net you much, especially if she's running well right now without them. And by dropping the needle ( that means your leaning it out) vs dropping the clip which would raise the needle and richen it up. Can't say that will be good or bad either. I had 142 mains in my original 93 build but I had the Factory Pro Airbox Plus kit, ported/flowed head and a 5mm over bore. Unless you have serious mods to the engine I would leave as is. IMHO.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-23-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfrilly3 View Post
Well it doesn't take an extremely long time to check the valves and at 22000 miles I recommend you bite the bullet. It can save you thousands of $ compared to waiting for them to be wrong and tear up cams and valves.
Thanks zfrilly! I think I am going to bite the bullet! I really don't want anything to happen to my baby!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-23-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Pretty sure the maintenance interval to inspect the clearances is 16k. And even if you inspect them doesn't mean you'll be changing any out, but it's possible. The 135 mains probably won't net you much, especially if she's running well right now without them. And by dropping the needle ( that means your leaning it out) vs dropping the clip which would raise the needle and richen it up. Can't say that will be good or bad either. I had 142 mains in my original 93 build but I had the Factory Pro Airbox Plus kit, ported/flowed head and a 5mm over bore. Unless you have serious mods to the engine I would leave as is. IMHO.
Dr. Doohan! I have no idea why "Doctor" comes to mind when I see your name. When I go to check the shims, if I have to replace any, what size shims would I need? Also, what manufacture? Does the manufacture make a difference? I have seen HotShims before, but really what is the difference? I have never done this, but I am very mechanically inclined. ALso, while the cover is off, any mods I can do that is relatively inexpensive? I would love to bore that that thing out, but out my realm of funds for now! Also, when I pull the cover off, should I get an OEM gasket to put back on, or should I use the gasket stuff from an auto parts store? I don't want to buy cheap sh!t.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 AM

Reputation Power: 0

you would select a replacement shim based on the clearance measured and the existing shim. get a workshop manual - the process is described in there.

a shim is a shim is a shim.... it just has to be the right diameter and thickness.

if you are hearing a valve noise this would indicate healthy valves. on a bucket over shim motor the clearances will tighten with wear, not loosen like your old OHV V8s.

boring out the 918 is not simple as the bores are plated.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

At 22K miles, I wouldn't wait any longer. Chances are you will need to swap some around, or even buy one or two shims to get to spec. You REALLY need to use a manual for this. Then It will become clear what shims you need to buy or swap based on your measurements of clearance.
If you have to remove the buckets and shims, use a magnet on top of the bucket, that will help hold the shim and keep it from falling down into the head.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-23-2014, 2:57 PM

Garage

The Dr. is in. hahahha Anyhow, just to give you an idea as to whats involved, I'm attempting to upload the procedure. I was always able to talk my dealer into swapping their service shims with shims I was taking out. The Honda shims are expensive, but as said above a shim is a shim is a shim. There is a formula to figure out what shim size you need, based on what the clearance measures at, what the limit is, and what shim you already have in there. As far as mods go, you are only removing the cam cover (obvious other parts need to come out to get to the cam cover, but nothing you will be replacing as upgrades). The gasket is rubber and can be reused with sealant used in specific areas, basically the half moon jobs on either end of the gasket. Please be aware that this is representation from American Honda and not me, there is a whole section on how to remove the cams, etc that is not in here. This strictly shows how to check and adjust. And now I know why guys don't like scanning this stuff in, it takes forever!!!! Good luck Blademan! Let me know if you need more info, but right now I have to run to the ER for an emergency tire change........... Here we go:

99 Valve Inspection.pdf

post #9 of 13 Old 03-24-2014, 6:41 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=IanDoohan;1157952]The Dr. is in. hahahha Anyhow, just to give you an idea as to whats involved, I'm attempting to upload the procedure. I was always able to talk my dealer into swapping their service shims with shims I was taking out. The Honda shims are expensive, but as said above a shim is a shim is a shim. There is a formula to figure out what shim size you need, based on what the clearance measures at, what the limit is, and what shim you already have in there. As far as mods go, you are only removing the cam cover (obvious other parts need to come out to get to the cam cover, but nothing you will be replacing as upgrades). The gasket is rubber and can be reused with sealant used in specific areas, basically the half moon jobs on either end of the gasket. Please be aware that this is representation from American Honda and not me, there is a whole section on how to remove the cams, etc that is not in here. This strictly shows how to check and adjust. And now I know why guys don't like scanning this stuff in, it takes forever!!!! Good luck Blademan! Let me know if you need more info, but right now I have to run to the ER for an emergency tire change........... Here we go:

Good Morning Dr. Doohan, . Thank you very much for uploading all of that information, you rock! I am going to order some shims this week and maybe do this in the next couple of weekends. Still not sure which shims to order before hand? I will keep you posted, and thanks again for your help!
post #10 of 13 Old 03-24-2014, 6:47 AM

Garage

No problem, you won't know what to order until you pull the cams and see what's already in there. That's the crapy part, if you need to order shims you can't until you get your measurement, pull the old shim and get the size, do the equation, and then that's when you know what the new shim size will be. Sucks, I know.

post #11 of 13 Old 03-24-2014, 6:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
No problem, you won't know what to order until you pull the cams and see what's already in there. That's the crapy part, if you need to order shims you can't until you get your measurement, pull the old shim and get the size, do the equation, and then that's when you know what the new shim size will be. Sucks, I know.

Man that does suck! That will drive me crazy! I love riding my bike.Hey this 135 jets, I will never use them, do you want them? They are brand new in the package. If you want them, just PM me your address and I will send them to you! The least I can do for helping me out!
post #12 of 13 Old 04-03-2014, 4:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I checked my shims at 21k miles and I had to replace 4, its a crap job to do but make sure you write down what shims you have in what bucket then next time it will be easy.worst job was lining up the inlet cam marks with the frame in the way
post #13 of 13 Old 04-03-2014, 7:56 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by warloks38 View Post
I checked my shims at 21k miles and I had to replace 4, its a crap job to do but make sure you write down what shims you have in what bucket then next time it will be easy.worst job was lining up the inlet cam marks with the frame in the way

Use a mirror.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page