Odd Shifter problem (not slipping out of gear) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-24-2014, 3:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Odd Shifter problem (not slipping out of gear)

So I picked up a 96 900rr ran great once I replaced the carb boot the genius before me decided it didn't need it. I'm going along and I down shift at the light and the shifter shifts down but then goes past the gear, that the best way I can describe it almost like the shifter itself is spinning on the shaft which it doesn't I checked, still shifts fine but if I shift down to hard or up to hard it will move the shift to a new position as in the actual shift arm. Any ideas what this could be? I already plan on splitting the case and doing a full rebuild minus new pistons because it has good compression, so any thoughts would be great so I can somewhat start pricing before I pull it apart.

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-24-2014, 9:58 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Odd Shifter problem (not slipping out of gear)

Slipping internally? Not just the peg on the shaft where it could be loose and/or the splines worn down?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-25-2014, 8:19 AM Thread Starter

I couldn't see any splines other than where the shifter arm connects in the parts fiche, guess I'll have to crack it open soon and take a look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-25-2014, 8:36 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz2190 View Post
So I picked up a 96 900rr ran great once I replaced the carb boot the genius before me decided it didn't need it. I'm going along and I down shift at the light and the shifter shifts down but then goes past the gear, that the best way I can describe it almost like the shifter itself is spinning on the shaft which it doesn't I checked, still shifts fine but if I shift down to hard or up to hard it will move the shift to a new position as in the actual shift arm. Any ideas what this could be? I already plan on splitting the case and doing a full rebuild minus new pistons because it has good compression, so any thoughts would be great so I can somewhat start pricing before I pull it apart.

Thanks in advanced.

Is there any slack or movement in the linkage or rearset?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 5 Old 03-25-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

none, no slack and the rearsets are solid, I actually drove it all last summer like this. It's a new one on me I've worked on quite a few bike, but the cbr is new to me so I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page