2001 929 stripped bolt stator cover HELP - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 4:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2001 929 stripped bolt stator cover HELP

I searched but could not find a solution to my specific problem.

I purchased the bike last November and just did some "Spring cleaning" yesterday. This involved a deep dry cleaning treatment, oil/filter change, new air filter, chain cleaning etc. Well anyway, a couple of months after I bought her, I noticed a small oil leak which appeared to be coming from the stator cover. I checked torque on bolt and all appeared to be correct so I assumed the gasket needed replacing. I noticed this was a very common part carried by many online retailers so I picked one up.

Yesterday, once I drained all of the old oil, I removed the stator cover. To my great dismay, I noticed that the center, bottom most bolt of the cover had an excess amount of thread locker and there was large amount of pinkish gasket glue in the general area. So I cleaned off all of the old gasket and thread locker, get the new gasket in place, and replaced the cover. I began to insert and tighten down the bolts and then, when I got to this particular bolt, it wouldn't tighten. The threads were stripped out in the case. Mind blown, threw stuff, etc. Obviously the previous owner did the dirt deed and rigged it so it would be okay until after I purchased it.

So, of course, all of my fresh Redline synthetic 10w40 is now dripping out at a much higher rate than before and I can't think of a good solution. I was thinking of buying a longer bolt, cutting the head off and maybe JB Welding it into place. Then I could tighten a separate nut on the outside of the cover. I know this is a cheap and likely crappy fix so I am open to any ideas. Thanks in advance for all of your wisdom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 4:30 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: 2001 929 stripped bolt stator cover HELP

Chase the threads with a tap one size bigger. What size bolt is it?
post #3 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 4:40 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin929 View Post
I searched but could not find a solution to my specific problem.

I purchased the bike last November and just did some "Spring cleaning" yesterday. This involved a deep dry cleaning treatment, oil/filter change, new air filter, chain cleaning etc. Well anyway, a couple of months after I bought her, I noticed a small oil leak which appeared to be coming from the stator cover. I checked torque on bolt and all appeared to be correct so I assumed the gasket needed replacing. I noticed this was a very common part carried by many online retailers so I picked one up.

Yesterday, once I drained all of the old oil, I removed the stator cover. To my great dismay, I noticed that the center, bottom most bolt of the cover had an excess amount of thread locker and there was large amount of pinkish gasket glue in the general area. So I cleaned off all of the old gasket and thread locker, get the new gasket in place, and replaced the cover. I began to insert and tighten down the bolts and then, when I got to this particular bolt, it wouldn't tighten. The threads were stripped out in the case. Mind blown, threw stuff, etc. Obviously the previous owner did the dirt deed and rigged it so it would be okay until after I purchased it.

So, of course, all of my fresh Redline synthetic 10w40 is now dripping out at a much higher rate than before and I can't think of a good solution. I was thinking of buying a longer bolt, cutting the head off and maybe JB Welding it into place. Then I could tighten a separate nut on the outside of the cover. I know this is a cheap and likely crappy fix so I am open to any ideas. Thanks in advance for all of your wisdom!

Helicoil it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 4:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeskinner1 View Post
Chase the threads with a tap one size bigger. What size bolt is it?
It is an 8mm I believe. I would go out there and look but, as sad as this is, My knees are so swollen from working on the bike for 8 hours yesterday that I haven't been able to convince myself to walk out to my garage yet. ACL replacement acts up from time to time.

How would that work just get the next size up and try to screw it into place? Also the clearances are pretty tight on the case side of things. Though I am fairly certain I could get a larger bolt through the cover.

Bladeracer: I had never heard of helicoil 'til you mentioned it but after looking it up I am intrigued. There are several kits and parts on their website. Which would you recommend? I have fairly decent mechanical inclination but not so much with this area of expertise.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 5:04 PM

I was going to recommend helicoil but didn't figure you would know what im talking about

Chase it with a 3/8-24 fine thread tap
post #6 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 5:05 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
It is an 8mm I believe. I would go out there and look but, as sad as this is, My knees are so swollen from working on the bike for 8 hours yesterday that I haven't been able to convince myself to walk out to my garage yet. ACL replacement acts up from time to time.

How would that work just get the next size up and try to screw it into place?

Bladeracer: I had never heard of helicoil 'til you mentioned it but after looking it up I am intrigued. There are several kits and parts on their website. Which would you recommend? I have fairly decent mechanical inclination but not so much with this area of expertise.

The bolt is M6, if it's M8 then it's already been tapped over-size.
Thread inserts basically work like a hollow bolt with a thread inside it to fit the bolt you're installing.
There are lots of different brands and designs - Google "thread repair".
You run the provided tap into the hole to cut an over-size thread, then you screw the insert into the hole which provides a thread of the original size.
With an M6 hole you can also try filling the hole with an epoxy after thoroughly cleaning out all the debris and oil, then drill and tap a new thread. M6 does not take a lot of torque so it should be adequate.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 5:11 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I was going to recommend helicoil but didn't figure you would know what im talking about

Chase it with a 3/8-24 fine thread tap

I would suggest tapping it with an M6 metric tap myself, or an M8 if you want to go to a bigger bolt.

post #8 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I would suggest tapping it with an M6 metric tap myself, or an M8 if you want to go to a bigger bolt.
We are in the states, last country to cling to standard instead of metric lol
post #9 of 17 Old 03-27-2014, 6:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes the stubborn states of America. I have never owned anything but metric cars and motorcycles so imperial measurements don't mean much to me. Even when I was working on medical imaging equipment like MRI and CT it was all metric. I don't see how any logical person could compare the two systems side by side and decide that inches and feet are superior to millimeters and meters. The only thing I do prefer is miles just for the purposes of speed measurement.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys. It appears that this will be a pretty simple solution. Sorry for my ignorance. I know I could have found a solution on Google but I always prefer to get my answers from people that have experience with similar machines.

Oh and Bladeracer, I love the Flight of the Intruder quote. That has always been one of my favorite movies since I was younger.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-28-2014, 3:26 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:

You are allowed to be smarter than your country ;-)
If you're smart enough to own a non-US bike then you're easily smart enough to use Metric tools :-)

post #11 of 17 Old 04-01-2014, 5:45 AM Thread Starter

Alright I picked up the helicoil kit and I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. I'm just hoping there is enough breathing room to drill it out to a 1/4 inch and tap it. It looks like it should be fine. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice. It's a pretty ingenious fix. Wish I had known about it in the past.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to post about the results but it worked great. The new gasket I had bought was already ruined though so I had to order a new one from Fort Worth. Now, next step is to get the valves shimmed. It's running fine but I just want to make sure. Thanks again for your help.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-11-2014, 3:26 PM Thread Starter

It's still leaking but at a much slower rate than before. The stator cover is scratched from a low speed low-side a few months ago. I can only assume it is warped. Is this a normal issue post-crash? I am fairly certain it is aluminum so it makes sense to me. Any easy fix ideas? It is seeping out of the bottom region of the cover. Bolts are correctly torqued. One bolt has a smaller diameter washer on the nut(all one bolt I just don't know what to call the rounded region below the nut) and is maybe a millimeter longer. Can't see that it belongs there according to microfiche so I assume it is a replacement. I put it in an area where the bolt threads through to an open back so it shouldn't be the issue. All M6 per spec. Anyway, any advice is appreciated. I can still ride the piss out of her for now so it's not ruining my spring. Bladeracer...I'm looking towards Ozzyland from Texas, brother...Lol
post #14 of 17 Old 04-13-2014, 5:33 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
It's still leaking but at a much slower rate than before. The stator cover is scratched from a low speed low-side a few months ago. I can only assume it is warped. Is this a normal issue post-crash? I am fairly certain it is aluminum so it makes sense to me. Any easy fix ideas? It is seeping out of the bottom region of the cover. Bolts are correctly torqued. One bolt has a smaller diameter washer on the nut(all one bolt I just don't know what to call the rounded region below the nut) and is maybe a millimeter longer. Can't see that it belongs there according to microfiche so I assume it is a replacement. I put it in an area where the bolt threads through to an open back so it shouldn't be the issue. All M6 per spec. Anyway, any advice is appreciated. I can still ride the piss out of her for now so it's not ruining my spring. Bladeracer...I'm looking towards Ozzyland from Texas, brother...Lol
If I read your post correctly you said washer below the nut. The stator cover shouldn't have any nuts. Also, these bikes were notorious for cracking engine cases on left hand crashes. You would be able to tell if the cover was tweaked enough to leak. I would check the bottom of the engine case for signs of damage. If that one bolt hole was boogered up maybe it was from it cracking at one point. I have a 99 that lost a chunk of engine case at the stator cover from a get off (not mine, previous owner).

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #15 of 17 Old 04-13-2014, 5:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

If you can't spot anything obvious try loosening all the cover bolts and re-torquing them in the correct sequence to ensure it pulls from the middle and works to the outer.

Do these cover bolts have sealing washers under the head of the bolts or are the heads the sealing surface?
Maybe some sealing washers fitted or some sealing compound on each of the bolts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page