1 HID Bulb Flickers and Goes Out 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-28-2014, 6:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

1 HID Bulb Flickers and Goes Out 929

I installed an HID kit, everything seems to be wired correctly. The angel/demon eyes work and they are running off the of same ground that the bulbs run off of. My problem is my right bulb flickers at startup and then shuts off. Both ballast and bulbs are good, tested them both. I get 11.16 volts from the plug that goes into the ballast on both sides. Both sides give me 10.xx volts on start up then settle around the 11.16. Considering the plug to the right side bulb has teh same output as the working side bulb I cannot figure out the problem. My kit came with a H/L relay, but do I need another relay for a 929? I saw somethign else called cancellers that are for daytime running lights. Would either of these solve my problem, or is it somehow bad wiring?

Thanks

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-28-2014, 7:47 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: 1 HID Bulb Flickers and Goes Out 929

Id put it down to a bad earth. Try running independent earths for each light
post #3 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 2:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Is this a constant thing or intermittent? I have low beam HID on mine (single ballast, single bulb) for now and it will sometimes give a small buzz at key-on and not fire off. Not sure if it is the same problem as yours, but mine has something to do with the starter-switch (push to start button) that occasionally triggers as if I were starting the bike. A jiggle sometimes works, if not I restart completely and it fires up.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 9:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

This is with your bike off I hope, as 11.16V is pretty darn low.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 6:16 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz_RS View Post
This is with your bike off I hope, as 11.16V is pretty darn low.
Yea the bike was off. It might have been 11.66, I wasnt positive when I wrote that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_lip View Post
Id put it down to a bad earth. Try running independent earths for each light
That fixed the problem. I appreciate the help. I just assumed the grounds were good since both bulbs used the same ground and one worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
Is this a constant thing or intermittent? I have low beam HID on mine (single ballast, single bulb) for now and it will sometimes give a small buzz at key-on and not fire off. Not sure if it is the same problem as yours, but mine has something to do with the starter-switch (push to start button) that occasionally triggers as if I were starting the bike. A jiggle sometimes works, if not I restart completely and it fires up.
It was constant. Both bulbs worked for a few cycles, then once I zip tied everything together the right side bulb would just flicker a few times and they die every time.

The lights look awesome now that they are working. I painted my housing black and retro fitted 2 3 inch projectors with white angel and blue demon eyes. I wont have any pictures until I put the bike back together but the blue demon eyes look great. I wired a switch in to shut off my low beams which allows me to just run the eyes during the day. The eyes seemed like they are still going to be bright in direct sunlight.

Fender isnt buttoned up at all, but I just wanted to get an idea.

01 929
post #6 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 1:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Glad it only turned out to be a ground! I do love the look of the projectors. There's a company that does a lot of headlight work on an exchange basis (I think KT cycle... JT....erm yeah something). I've been considering this as a mod for my 54.. just haven't decided to take the leap since I still want to sort the suspension all the way and get a good set of rear sets before I dive into any cosmetics.... so far everything (I think) has been functional =) I did the low-beam HID too as it was much brighter and nicer at night.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page