slipping out of 1st gear. Looks like shift fork. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 3:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

slipping out of 1st gear. Looks like shift fork.

My 2001 929 was difficult to get into 2nd gear and kept slipping out of 1st gear and 2nd gear. I pulled it apart and all I can see wrong with it is the shift fork on the left side (closest to the small sprocket) is worn down on one side.
Here's a picture of it next to one that isn't worn down.

If I don't see any visible wear on any of the gears can I assume they are OK?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140330_143421436_HDR.jpg‎  

-Sly-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 5:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: slipping out of 1st gear. Looks like shift fork.

It looks well worn compared to the other shift fork, also check that the synchro rings and the gear dog teeth are in good condition.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

if you've got it apart and there is no wear on the gears then you can leave them i would say. When i did mine the fork looked like yours and the 2nd gear dogs had a visible shine to them. also, the inside of 6 was rounded and worn. i replaced 2nd, 6th, and the shift fork when i did mine since they all showed signs of wear. they would probably have been ok with just a new fork, for a while, but the gears were not very expensive so i just did them while i was there.

and these transmissions do not have synchros, they are constant mesh so all the gears turn all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2014, 4:03 PM

Had a similar issue on a vfr750 a good while back.

If the shift fork is damaged (and it looks like may be to me) there is a good chance there may be damage to the gears.

#Edit# if the box is apart check all gears and shift forks carefully.......

You can see the wear on the shift fork here (the profile will not be the same on both sides) , and the rounding on the dogs that bite the gears (and a little of the wear where the dogs seat - shiny areas) that causes the jumping out of gear...

( I know - they are normally on display in my living room along with my "Crash lid" )

Last edited by saxonblade; 11-30-2015 at 5:35 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 4:58 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Looking at the wear on the fork you'll be very lucky if there is no wear on the gears. I had a similar problem with my 929 slipping out of 4th gear, changed the fork (similar damage to yours) and it still slipped out, had to change the gears out in the end, no more slipping gears since.

Oh, by the way Kevo, bikes don't have synchromesh gearboxes so there won't be any synchro rings.

GG
post #6 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 9:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzeegeezer View Post
Looking at the wear on the fork you'll be very lucky if there is no wear on the gears. I had a similar problem with my 929 slipping out of 4th gear, changed the fork (similar damage to yours) and it still slipped out, had to change the gears out in the end, no more slipping gears since.

Oh, by the way Kevo, bikes don't have synchromesh gearboxes so there won't be any synchro rings.

GG
Thanks for that info, never gave it a thought.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page