Fireblade speedos - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 6:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Fireblade speedos

Hi there,

I have just taken ownership of a 94 honda Fireblade. It was in very nice condition, but on the first ride, the speedo just went haywire. On closer inspection, it seems the previous owner had snapped the chain taking the top bolt hole of the sprocket cover where the speedo drive sits. I have attempted a repair, and it works well, the cover now sits solid on the bike and the speedo drive sits centrally in the hole.

The speedo is much better now, but still is not completely stable. After some testing, grease as opposed to oil seemed the best lube for the little plastic part that sits between the speedo drive and the sprocket bolt, and is much better. My question is are these speedos just badly designed, or is it just one of these old bike syndromes, all the bikes I have ever had was just a cable from the front wheel, this always seemed to work rather well?

Kind regards

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 7:50 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Fireblade speedos

Hey Rob, well done on getting an oldie but a goodie. I'm biased towards the old dogs, having owned 2 USA 1993 models. I am in the process of adding that same speedo sensor set up to my 93. I just have a couple questions in regards to your issue. What exactly is the problem? Is it that the sensor in the sprocket cover becomes loose over time, or is it the actual needle on the speedo dial that seems "jumpy" or "bouncy"? It's an electrical pulse now that gets sent to the speedo dial, no more mechanical cable as you said. If the white plastic bushing isn't nice and square like the top of the bolt head (or vice versa) it will waver its signal. It's possible that one or both may need replacing. Toss up a couple photos of each so we can take a look. Check out my cafe build thread in my signature, there is a photo of my sprocket cover and speed sensor. They are apart and I can post better pictures to show you what it should look like with no damage. Good luck mate!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 3:49 PM Thread Starter

Hi there, Ian, and thanks for your reply, here are a couple of photos of it as best as I could get right now. There is also a picture of the bike, just cos I had space.

the thing I have noticed about this bush is that there does seem to be about 4 mm of end float on this, in that it sits quite deep into the hole in the cover. As I mentioned in the original post, I am unable to work out exactly where the old bolt hole was, and had to fashion my own using JB Weld. As a result I have a feeling this is not helping my problem. However, to get as accurate placing as I could, I fitted the cover with the bottom bolt and tightened it up, the assumption is that it will sit square on the casing, any gap would be the missing casing, I then placed the putty, and used the same technique to get the surface and the hole alignment using an imprint from the tightened fitted cover. It looks square to me, I just have way to many unknowns going on here to know where to start.

Your help is much appreciated. You can see by the look of the bike why I think this worth pursuing.

Kind regards

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Bush1.jpg‎   bush2.jpg‎   bush3.jpg‎   bush4.jpg‎  

Bike.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 5:06 PM

Garage

Rob, your first two pics show a missing support or "web" to hold the bushing in place on the spindle. Also, it looks from your next photo that the inside of the bushing that fits around the front sprocket bolt is worn. I can't tell if it's the grease or what, but it looks well worn. Here is a pic of mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	661.3 KB
ID:	59035

Mine also has some thrust movement, but I would find a replacement for your bushing. You might be able to order just the bushing from Honda, or it might be the whole unit. I got mine from fleabay. You might be able to find one there. Also, do you have the metal spacer that goes between the sprocket cover and the engine case?

And yes, the bike looks well worth it!

Cheers, Ian

Last edited by IanDoohan; 03-31-2014 at 5:07 PM. Reason: Typo
post #5 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 1:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks very much, I suspected as much, compared to yours, the one on my bike is completely mangled. I'll get on to it.

Metal spacer, Lol, no, but I am starting to get a picture of why my speedo isn't working, and it is very heart warming. Could you please post a picture of what is supposed to be involved in this underneath the cover. All I have is this bush, the cover and the sensor. As I mentioned, it looks suspiciously like the chain snapped, as it damaged the crankcase and the cover. I have done a repair on both, and I think with the correct parts, I should be able to get this working again.

Thanks very much for your input.

Rob
post #6 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 6:13 PM

Garage

Here you go Rob:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	59061

post #7 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that, at least I know what I'm working with now. As for the metal spacer... well, I don't even have the casing for it to attach to, I had to remake what I could with JB weld, and working blind also, it's held quite nicely, but it's never going to be brilliant. . Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a garage or spare transport, this was bought as a running bike fit for purpose supposedly, though I am starting to find some cracks in it's armour.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page