More progress on Serenity
Hey chaps! Finally got around to doing my winter clean and maintenance.... albeit a tad bit after winter =) I had some stuff about the house that needed to be put on still as well, so knocked some of those random loose-ends out whilst I was at it. All-in Serenity enjoyed the living room with a great view of the T.V. while she got dismembered... I mean dismantled.
I ended up pulling to upper off (first time actually) and re-mounted my HID ballast elsewhere while wiping everything down in there (also got a good look at the clocks/connectors for a swap to '14 1krr clocks in consideration). Basically just went through her and cleaned up a tad whilst checking bolts for security as I recently started loosing bolts while riding... luckily the only ones to come out were to the heel-guards (on order now). Found many many bolts that seemed a tad unsnug though, so was not a wasted effort.
Changed the spark plugs finally at 25.6k miles. I am pretty sure they were the original plugs as they were Denso's..... They didn't look terrible, but certainly were ready to come out. Tossed in some laser iridium NGK IMR9C-9H plugs and called it a day. If you haven't done the plugs on the 954 yet, they are pretty fun to get to. The cross-brace behind the steering-head likes to be in the way of everything. Pulling the coils out was fairly easy, but getting to the plugs was fun. I would recommend a length (8-10") of fuel hose to get to the plugs. Just loosen them a tad with your socket and insert your fuel hose to finish removal. This will facilitate the removal and insertion of the plugs with greater-ease than the coil =)
Other than that, installed my stomp-grip side-panels finally. They work out pretty good at giving you more bite on the tank while accelerating and braking instead of a slippery tank =) Put on the red rim-tape that I've had for around months lol. For some reason I didn't have enough to do all 4 sides though. Everything I read said there should be enough for both sides of each rim with enough to spare to mess one side up, yet I had enough to do the rear (completely) and one side of the front with only about 8" of messed-up tape tossed out.
Also tightened up the throttle cable as she worked loose (more play than I liked before actually opening the TBs). The plugs and throttle were great to finally get knocked out. She was peppy to begin with, but now she really wants to pick the front end up more. First gear just requires a good twist (not even 70% throttle applied quickly from 10-15mph). Second gear is a bit tougher, but noticeably lighter front end under moderate throttle at mid-level revs. She'll also pull up in third easier than she used to (w/o clutch). I didn't think that the plugs were too bad (pics to come), but changing them out made a noticeable change for the better.
Guess that's about it for now. I took some pics of where the plug was inside the head along with a few other shots that I'll upload and get posted soon.
/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade
"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."