Tired 900rr-r gearbox and engine rebuild (?) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 04-04-2014, 8:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Tired 900rr-r gearbox and engine rebuild (?)

Hi All,

My '94 rr-r has a pretty tired grearbox... and the engine is not quite what was was either. Massive play at the final drive sprocket (almost a quarter turn), loud transmission whine, bad gear changes and jumps out of gear occasionally, usually when I'm giving it the beans on a motorway slip road.

I have a spare engine which looks to be in good order (engine oil really clean, cam lobes barely marked, etc...) which seems to have a much better gearbox, just by playing with the final drive sprocket when it's in gear the play is MUCH less. One tooth's worth of play.

BUT the engine is really dirty... not just greasy, which would be easy, but very tarnished, especially at the front. The bike is very tidy cosmetically so I want to clean the engine up before swapping it but don't have the time or patience to do it by hand. Tried walnut shell blasting, but it's not doing it.

Can anyone recommend someone (in the UK) who can clean the whole engine without having to strip it? By 'clean' I mean make it look like new!!

OR can anyone recommend a decent engine builder. I may take the opportunity to throw some money at having the head ported out, new cams, valves, big bore, Keihin flat slides... the whole hog basically. Would like everything superfinished too. Every time I find a company, they seem to go bust or just don't reply to my email enquiry. Anyone recommend someone?

Would be in the market for a complete engine that's had all this done (or similar) if anyone has one...

As I'm in the mood for questions, anyone know where I could get one of those EVO close-ratio gearboxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page