Questions about my new to me 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Questions about my new to me 954

So i purchased a 03 Cbr954RR this past weekend and ive got a couple questions/concerns that i was hoping someone could help me with.

1. My engine fan comes on but only when the key is turned to on, is this normal or no, because my other bike i could turn it off and the fan would still kick on. If this isnt normal any ideas how I could fix this?

2. Sometimes when i shift in to second it doesnt go in to gear (mostly high rpms), sometimes it sounds like its chewing on something when i tryto put it in gear (Mid range rpms), sometimes it works fine with no problem, so I was wondering am i doing something wrong, or is it normal for the bike? Again any ideas what could be the problem? And how would i go about getting it fixed?

*EDIT*
3.Once in a while it doest start right up, it hesitates, ill press the start button and it will try to turn over but wont fire up.. Dont have a clue what causes this because after a minute it starts fine... any ideas..

4. Under the gas cap there is a little hole, in which i presume is suppose to let fluid drain out of it, but its not draining so water just gets trapped in there causing it to spill in the gas tank, any idea how i could get it to drain?

i know theres other things that i cannot think of at the moment so ill probably be updating again..

BTW if anyone has any tips or input or valuable information to help me out with owning this bike all input is appreciated! Thanks

If its needed the bike isnt stock previous owner listed some of the following on his ad

Arata full titanium exhaust wrapped with black exhaust wrap
Power commander 3R
Custom DYNO tune
Speedo DRD

Maintenance: (over this winter about 1500 miles on everything preformed)
New chain and sprockets Vortex 520 kit
New all balls wheel bearings front and rear
New spark plugs
New clutch
New fork seals & oil
New Michelin pilot road 3 tires
New fully synthetic Motul oil
New antifreeze and flushed system
New brake fluid front and rear
Valve adjustment

Last edited by spossey; 05-08-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-09-2014, 6:07 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Questions about my new to me 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by spossey View Post
So i purchased a 03 Cbr954RR this past weekend and ive got a couple questions/concerns that i was hoping someone could help me with.

1. My engine fan comes on but only when the key is turned to on, is this normal or no, because my other bike i could turn it off and the fan would still kick on. If this isnt normal any ideas how I could fix this?

2. Sometimes when i shift in to second it doesnt go in to gear (mostly high rpms), sometimes it sounds like its chewing on something when i tryto put it in gear (Mid range rpms), sometimes it works fine with no problem, so I was wondering am i doing something wrong, or is it normal for the bike? Again any ideas what could be the problem? And how would i go about getting it fixed?

*EDIT*
3.Once in a while it doest start right up, it hesitates, ill press the start button and it will try to turn over but wont fire up.. Dont have a clue what causes this because after a minute it starts fine... any ideas..

4. Under the gas cap there is a little hole, in which i presume is suppose to let fluid drain out of it, but its not draining so water just gets trapped in there causing it to spill in the gas tank, any idea how i could get it to drain?

i know theres other things that i cannot think of at the moment so ill probably be updating again..

BTW if anyone has any tips or input or valuable information to help me out with owning this bike all input is appreciated! Thanks

If its needed the bike isnt stock previous owner listed some of the following on his ad

Arata full titanium exhaust wrapped with black exhaust wrap
Power commander 3R
Custom DYNO tune
Speedo DRD

Maintenance: (over this winter about 1500 miles on everything preformed)
New chain and sprockets Vortex 520 kit
New all balls wheel bearings front and rear
New spark plugs
New clutch
New fork seals & oil
New Michelin pilot road 3 tires
New fully synthetic Motul oil
New antifreeze and flushed system
New brake fluid front and rear
Valve adjustment

Not sure what you're asking exactly, but the thermo fan _only_ comes on when the engine temperature exceeds about 102C. It should not come on with the ignition. The only time you'll hear it come on is sitting in traffic in hot weather.

You may have a bent shift fork, but that banging you're hearing is the dogs smashing together - most likely going to need to replace some gears.

Maybe a bad earth, weak battery or the solenoid is weak. Does it start better if you short across the solenoid?

The drain in the fuel filler well is probably blocked. You can try pushing a wire through to clear it, or perhaps compressed air. If it's been blocked for a while though, it may be corroded and might rupture when you try to clear it.

Common problems with the 929/954 are charging system failures and hidden damage to the left side of the crankcase behind the stator cover. Also, the headlight and instrument clusters commonly break their bayonet mounts off.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2014, 9:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

The fan does shut off with the key. If you are above the ~212F (or so) when the fan is on and shut the key off, the fan will go off. I usually just turn the key back on and let it cool down until fan is off.

Had my 02 since new and its been like this from day one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-13-2014, 5:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

The fan on the 954 will only operate through the ignition being on when it reaches the set temp so it is normal.
2nd gear as per Bladeracer so maybe try to be a little more definite when selecting the gear and see if that helps.
Regarding the overflow drain as per BR but maybe the hose is crimped so unbolt the front of the tank and have a look at the hose.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page