Tips on changing gear under hard acceleration - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 8:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Tips on changing gear under hard acceleration

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to change gear under hard acceleration without the revs rising and making a little blip - it sounds crap! This used to be easy on my previous bike - a Hornet and I had the clutch lever adjustment set to it engages without much travel.

I just can't seem to get the sweet spot on the blade - no matter how much clutch lever/cable adjustment I make. Also my throttle free play is bang on.

Any tips welcome - getting pretty frustrated with this now!

Cheers

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 9:46 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Tips on changing gear under hard acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex350r View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to change gear under hard acceleration without the revs rising and making a little blip - it sounds crap! This used to be easy on my previous bike - a Hornet and I had the clutch lever adjustment set to it engages without much travel.

I just can't seem to get the sweet spot on the blade - no matter how much clutch lever/cable adjustment I make. Also my throttle free play is bang on.

Any tips welcome - getting pretty frustrated with this now!

Cheers

Alex

With or without the clutch?
It's virtually impossible to have this problem if you shift clutchlessly.
Would probably also help if you shorten the lever throw - standard Honda throw is too far.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 5:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 36

I upshift downshift clutchless works just fine once you learn the engine rpm for flawless shifts.
Only use clutch for take off and stopping at light

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 6:34 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

to both ^^However if you both want to clutch it it should come with getting used to a new bike.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #5 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 8:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Get a quickshifter problem solved. And fun as hell
post #6 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 9:03 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
Still on my list of things to do, right under new brake lines which I'm ordering next week, that'll move it to the top.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Personally, I find it's tons of fun learning to change gears properly.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 14 Old 05-11-2014, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Personally, I find it's tons of fun learning to change gears properly.
I agree, learning to properly shift is great but using a quick shifter for me is accomplishing a different task. my goal when i use it is to get down a straight as fast as possible, which will always be faster if everything remains status quo. Even though I have a quick shifter, I still use the clutch most of the time to not lose the art of shifting. Plus, I mentioned the QS to Alex because its great to know how perfect shifting should feel like, kind of give you something to gage your ability.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-11-2014, 4:53 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree, learning to properly shift is great but using a quick shifter for me is accomplishing a different task. my goal when i use it is to get down a straight as fast as possible, which will always be faster if everything remains status quo. Even though I have a quick shifter, I still use the clutch most of the time to not lose the art of shifting. Plus, I mentioned the QS to Alex because its great to know how perfect shifting should feel like, kind of give you something to gage your ability.

Perfect shifting comes with practise, not with a quickshifter, if anything I would expect your shifting to be poorer after relying on a quickshifter.
This is without a quickshifter, and without the clutch.

post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Perfect shifting comes with practise, not with a quickshifter
Have you ever tried a QS. The thing is perfect up shift in a box for $170 and up. You can be leaned over full throttle and up shift to the next gear with no ill effects, that's how smooth and fast it is. This is just an option for the OP. he can keep trying and one day get it perfect or pull out his credit card and have it perfect tomorrow. I used to think I had it perfect after 15 years of practicing then I tried a QS and was blown away. Technology is going to continue to come out with things that made skills we used to have to work so hard to get right, to just get it right with a part. Look at the BMW 1000 with all the technology, a monkey can ride that thing fast. Now put a man with skills and he is untouchable
post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-2014, 1:45 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Have you ever tried a QS. The thing is perfect up shift in a box for $170 and up. You can be leaned over full throttle and up shift to the next gear with no ill effects, that's how smooth and fast it is. This is just an option for the OP. he can keep trying and one day get it perfect or pull out his credit card and have it perfect tomorrow. I used to think I had it perfect after 15 years of practicing then I tried a QS and was blown away. Technology is going to continue to come out with things that made skills we used to have to work so hard to get right, to just get it right with a part. Look at the BMW 1000 with all the technology, a monkey can ride that thing fast. Now put a man with skills and he is untouchable

No, I can't recall ever using a QS, but why would I want to? Do you actually believe I could make faster shifts than I already do?
I can be leaned over at full throttle and shift clutchlessly as well. It doesn't take years of practise, I was shifting clutchless with my very first bike simply because I didn't know any other riders, so nobody could tell me how bad it was for the bike. I simply discovered for myself that it's the best way to use a constant mesh transmission :-) When I did start meeting other riders I never met anybody else shifting clutchlessly, nowadays many more riders are discovering it. I've ridden several hundred different bikes now, all without the clutch, and haven't found a single one that shifts better with the clutch than it does without.

Yes, that's right, the new bikes are made for monkeys to ride, that's why I have no interest in them. MotoGP now sucks due to the seamless boxes, in my opinion.

post #12 of 14 Old 05-11-2014, 3:32 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Thanks for the tips guys - I've adjusted the clutch lever some more and it seems a bit better but we'll see as I'll be out on some longer rides this week. Probably doesn't help that the screw on my clutch adjuster seems to have perished! Nice new gold one should be here tomorrow so I'll get that fitted and I can adjust it up properly.

Used to do clutchless shifting years ago when I had an RD350 so might have to do it on the blade, always rev match/blip on the downshift. Would also love the try a quickshifter!!
post #13 of 14 Old 05-11-2014, 6:42 PM

Reputation Power: 291

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Quote:
Perfect shifting comes with practise, not with a quickshifter, if anything I would expect your shifting to be poorer after relying on a quickshifter.
This is without a quickshifter, and without the clutch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwIp...ature=youtu.be
Oh you little show off you but I like it

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #14 of 14 Old 05-11-2014, 10:31 PM

Reputation Power: 36

Quote:
Even though I have a quick shifter, I still use the clutch most of the time to not lose the art of shifting.
err wouldnt you using clutch using quick shifter slow you down. By having clucth disengauged a slit second to long. Which youd lose e.t. On the strip. Spending cash to shift faster then still using clutch seems to work against yourself.?

I dont particularly care for techno gizmos to help dummies ride faster. Some guys have no business on a bike much less getting to 170mph even faster lmao... Not callin any yall who posted dummies or saying any yall dont belong on bikes. But who knos :-)

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page