melting fairings? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-10-2014, 8:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

melting fairings?

Just bought a 05 cbr 1000 rr and installed a two brothers slip on exhaust on it. Found on another site that someone had the lower fairings start to melt on him. I never rode the bike stock, took it out today for about a half hour ride and was smelling something funny, figured it was the new exhaust breaking in, came home and checked the fairings, no melting but very hot, any one have any issues? I had a 954 before but never really checked the lower fairings. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-11-2014, 1:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: melting fairings?

Search ebay for fairing heat shield. They sell for like $5-$10 and solve that concern. Cut the shield to size and affix it along where the exhaust pipe is close to the plastic.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-09-2014, 3:19 PM

Hi there,
Would this material work in place of the heat shield on an 07 blade as I've taken
Off the rear indicators / rego mount & also the heat shield, there seems to be plenty of space between the stock pipe & the under tail area.
No more road riding, getting it ready for track days only- can't keep my licence
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.7C685965-3C33-419F-B849-40F573BEB5C9.MOV‎ (17.90 MB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-09-2014, 3:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Factory fairings, or Chinese?
At any rate, any hardware store has an assortment of rolls of heat shielding tape. Works great.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-09-2014, 3:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

For what it's worth, I bought some of that self sticking heat tape, the kind that looks like that heat wrap at AutoZone, it stuck great, for a day, then I think the heat got to it and it fell off...
post #6 of 10 Old 11-09-2014, 4:09 PM

Couple things you could do That i'd recommend is a heat shield, not running cheap fairings, and wrapping your headers in exhaust wrap. Might cost a little extra money to wrap the headers but it's definitely worth it in my opinion. I've had it done on all my bikes and it's helped with excess heat
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD954 View Post
Couple things you could do That i'd recommend is a heat shield, not running cheap fairings, and wrapping your headers in exhaust wrap. Might cost a little extra money to wrap the headers but it's definitely worth it in my opinion. I've had it done on all my bikes and it's helped with excess heat
That is always an option, but only if you are not running Titanium exhaust, if it is just a steel exhaust then you can get the wrap with SS ties on Ebay for pretty cheap.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-09-2014, 5:53 PM

Thank you fellas, there's obviously many things to prepare for a track day?
As I mentioned, I'm far from ready, there's questions about what size chain & sprokets to use? Suspension set up? Without getting ahead of myself..
So any advice is much appreciated.
Kev
post #9 of 10 Old 11-09-2014, 7:15 PM

You need to talk to someone with a similar bike that rides the track you're going to regularly, they would know what gearing you would need. Some tracks I ride i use stock gearing and another I ride at I use 2 down 4 up, so that really is going to come down to track. As far as suspension goes, well, find a shop that does that and have them set it up, you can set sag yourself with a couple friends, but the rest, I always leave to professionals.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 AM

I've set the suspension firm for a putty rd ride once upon a time & it was too stiff for that old road, while it felt great on the turns, it bounced like hell in the fast stuff.
Now living in QLD & I'm sure it's willowbank I'll be first timing with, I'll look for a forum closer who may also have advice, if anyone has a 07 blade1000 please advise, thanks again fellas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page