newbie question about front sprocket - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 1:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

newbie question about front sprocket

Hello, everyone. I've been referring to this forum sense I bought my 01 929 a few months ago. You've all helped tremendously, and I want to say thank you.

There has been a few problems that I've mostly corrected, and the chain/sprocket is really just maintenance.

I'm putting a 17 tooth front 43 rear with the 530 chain. However, the front sprocket won't fit. That is - there is not enough clearance. It hits the swing arm.

I first saw this sprocket offered on ebay for this bike and then as a front choice sprocket when "custom" ordering.

I then called up my local Honda Performance shop and they ordered a front/rear sprocket from PBI. His computer said this sprocket would fit.

So, now i'm thinking something could, somehow, be wrong with my bike. Why is there not enough clearance for the sprocket?

I've found one post on here where a 954 owner put the 17t on his. He said there was plenty of clearance.

Any help would be great. Thanks again to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 4:50 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: newbie question about front sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnstntvigilance View Post
Hello, everyone. I've been referring to this forum sense I bought my 01 929 a few months ago. You've all helped tremendously, and I want to say thank you.

There has been a few problems that I've mostly corrected, and the chain/sprocket is really just maintenance.

I'm putting a 17 tooth front 43 rear with the 530 chain. However, the front sprocket won't fit. That is - there is not enough clearance. It hits the swing arm.

I first saw this sprocket offered on ebay for this bike and then as a front choice sprocket when "custom" ordering.

I then called up my local Honda Performance shop and they ordered a front/rear sprocket from PBI. His computer said this sprocket would fit.

So, now i'm thinking something could, somehow, be wrong with my bike. Why is there not enough clearance for the sprocket?

I've found one post on here where a 954 owner put the 17t on his. He said there was plenty of clearance.

Can you post photos?
Are you sure it's a 17 and not something bigger, or a 630 sprocket perhaps?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 5:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Do you mean the sprocket hits the swinging arm or the chain touches it now?

Cant see the sprocket touching the swinger seems very odd..

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 5:49 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:

I just realised that you said you only ordered the sprocket?
You will need a longer chain to run a 17-tooth front, or go down at least two teeth on the rear as well.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for such a fast response -

I'll take a photo today....

I haven't tried fitting the chain yet. I read on some site that if i go one up or down on the front, i would not need the longer chain. Only if i go 2 + up or down on the rear.

As for the sprocket - I counted the teeth, but it does say 17 on it. (374-17)

I also noticed that the pinch bolt is missing. I planned on buying one (or ordering it) today... It's the pinch bolt for the swing arm. But looking at the way they have the swing arm attached, i don't see how it would affect it

I'll take a pic, ASAP.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Update:

I put the pinch bolt in and there was no change in clearance.

I lifted the bike with a hoist and had the rear tire removed so I could get the weight off the rear and check for any play in the swing arm. There WAS some play, but that was with both the pinch bolts removed. The book says it shouldn't have "too much" play. It don't seem like much.

So - I don't know. Perhaps a 17t DOESN'T fit. Has anyone actually put one on there 929? I read on here it would fit on the 954 and everything i've read says they are the same.

I can't be the first one to want to do this to their 929

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
sprocket.jpg‎  
post #7 of 35 Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mystery solved!!! I was thinking something must be wrong with my bike. Turns out, they gave me the wrong sprocket.
post #8 of 35 Old 05-14-2014, 2:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

What was wrong about it? Not 17t

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #9 of 35 Old 05-14-2014, 5:06 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
What was wrong about it? Not 17t

Would have to be 6-series to be that big in 17 teeth.

post #10 of 35 Old 05-14-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I haven't actually received the other sprocket yet - so I won't know for sure until I can actually put it on.

I went to PBI's website and downloaded their catalog. According to their catalog, there is no part number 374-17 c/s . but the part number for the CBR929RR is 374-16. You then order it with 17 teeth.

I searched Google for this part number (374-17) and came up with only one hit in Amazon. A reviewer commented that it worked great on their Honda Magna.

Whats still confusing is that the part number in the PBI catagloge for the 94-03 Magna is ALSO 374-16.

But the same catalog doesn't even have the 374-17. I'm guessing this is a newer catalog and they changed some part numbers.

NOTE: the magna on Amazon has a stock front sprocket of 15 tooth.

I've ordered a Pro-tek sprocket from an eBay seller. He assures it will fit. And that it will ALSO fit a VF750 Magna.

I could still be very wrong about all this. This sprocket I have could have been miss-labeled, or my swing arm is really messed up.

I've looked as best I can - but I would think that something that wrong would be easy to see. Maybe excess play or missing bolts.. ??

Last edited by cnstntvigilance; 05-14-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: clarify information
post #11 of 35 Old 05-14-2014, 2:58 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I haven't actually received the other sprocket yet - so I won't know for sure until I can actually put it on.

I went to PBI's website and downloaded their catalog. According to their catalog, there is no part number 374-17 c/s . but the part number for the CBR929RR is 374-16. You then order it with 17 teeth.

I searched Google for this part number (374-17) and came up with only one hit in Amazon. A reviewer commented that it worked great on their Honda Magna.

Whats still confusing is that the part number in the PBI catagloge for the 94-03 Magna is ALSO 374-16.

But the same catalog doesn't even have the 374-17. I'm guessing this is a newer catalog and they changed some part numbers.

NOTE: the magna on Amazon has a stock front sprocket of 15 tooth.

I've ordered a Pro-tek sprocket from an eBay seller. He assures it will fit. And that it will ALSO fit a VF750 Magna.

I could still be very wrong about all this. This sprocket I have could have been miss-labeled, or my swing arm is really messed up.

I've looked as best I can - but I would think that something that wrong would be easy to see. Maybe excess play or missing bolts.. ??

Have you compared the new sprocket with the one you took off? Are the teeth the same size?

post #12 of 35 Old 05-14-2014, 5:07 PM Thread Starter

Hmm... I've put them side by side, but no, I've not looked specifically at the teeth. I removed a 15 tooth. I will put the 15 tooth back on and post a pic of the clearance.
post #13 of 35 Old 05-14-2014, 5:12 PM

Reputation Power: 36

Throw that oversize thing away and get right one. Clearly dont fit.
Why are you wanting jump out to a 17? It still wont do 200mph lol

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #14 of 35 Old 05-14-2014, 5:34 PM Thread Starter

Lol - my sphincter gets puckerd at 115, and the bike hits that too easy for my taste. Im slowly turning the bike into a long hauler. Using it for long road trips. I want the lower rpm at hwy speeds. I've put an LSL handle bar kit on her (with a 3 inch ROX riser). I'll be lowering the rear sets and adding another wind screen. (Like those zero gravity types that bolt to the existing screen. )I've already added some better padding to the seat - but will keep working on that.

Also, putting on the Continental Trail Attack tires. They're a 90/10 tire.

I get 50mpg with the current 15t sprocket. The 17t and 5mm taller rear tire will help the mpg.
post #15 of 35 Old 05-14-2014, 5:47 PM

Reputation Power: 36

Geez id be happy enough with 50. I usually get about 30mpg if im lucky. Lol

why not start with a blackbird if you want highway longdistance cruiser?

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page