Pulsating Brakes After Caliper Rebuilt/New Pads - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Pulsating Brakes After Caliper Rebuilt/New Pads

So I noticed when replacing my pads this winter that the bottom piston in both front calipers were seized. They were both pretty much completely pressed in. I took the calipers apart and cleaned out all the gunk and fixed the pistons. I put in my new pads, bleed the brakes, and put my old rotors back on. I measured the rotors and found they are in tolerance, but honestly not by much. I only measured one spot though assuming they were not warped because the bike did not make any vibration or pulsating before I changed the pads.

Now at any high speed braking there is violent pulsating in my front brakes. At low speeds it only happens when I put a good amount of pressure on the brakes for a quick stop. At very low speeds there is no pulsating when stopping. No matter when it happens I do NOT feel it in my brake lever. I was under the assumption that if the rotors were warped I would feel it in my lever.

Could air bubbles in my fluid cause this? I bleed them, but maybe not good enough. Could the seized pistons have caused uneven wear of my rotors from last season, and now that I have both pistons pressing on the pads this is the problem? Any input is apprecaited.

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-14-2014, 2:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Re: Pulsating Brakes After Caliper Rebuilt/New Pads

My suggestion would be to pull out the pads and give the rotors and pads a spray of brake cleaner and then run the pads across some sandpaper in a figure eight motion to level out the surface.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2014, 3:15 AM Thread Starter

So you think the problem is dirty rotors? The pads are only a day old so the level can't be that bad, but I'll def check it out. I wiped the rotors down, but didn't hit them with brake cleaner on install.

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2014, 12:10 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Did you remove the wheels I assume you did if so it will almost certainly be fork alignment. Undo the bolts that clamp the axle, apply breaks' pump forks hard' get a mate to tighten axle bolts check alignment... job done
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkoff View Post
Did you remove the wheels I assume you did if so it will almost certainly be fork alignment. Undo the bolts that clamp the axle, apply breaks' pump forks hard' get a mate to tighten axle bolts check alignment... job done
Alright so all I have to do is loose and the pinch bolts, apply the brakes hard, and then tighten the axle bolt more? Do I loosen the axle bolt first or leave it tight and just tighten it down more? I did take the wheel off and this time I didn't have it raised enough so I had to jack one fork up, put in the axle then jack the other side and continue to slide the axle through. I just figured once the axle was all the way in the works would self adjust. How do I check fork alignment?

Appreciate the help. My comprehension is a lil off had some drinks tonight, but would love to tackle this in the AM

01 929

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page