Need Help Bike Wont Start (occasionally) Fuel Pump Not Priming - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 9:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Need Help Bike Wont Start (occasionally) Fuel Pump Not Priming

Alright latest issue, If you dont feel like reading my long story heres the short version

Short Version
Bike started off by having trouble starting sometimes, would turn over but not fire, usually id give it some time and try again and it would fire up.. (Happened the day i bought it about last weekend, and a few other times) Now yesterday it stalled on me while I was riding and wouldn't start back up again turned over but wouldn't fire... Eventually I realized my fuel pump wasn't priming, so im guessing it wasn't running while I was riding that's why it stalled also.. Since its stalled now my blinkers aren't working either.. any ideas, Skip the story if you want and my questions and ideas are below it...

If you think you can help maybe read the story too so you get a better idea..

Long Version
So the night i bought my bike a 03 Honda CBR 954 rr, I stopped at the gas station to fill up, and it wouldn't start (turning over but not firing) I tryed and checked everything I could think of, Kill Switch, In gear, in neutral, kickstand, ect... eventually after a little while of sitting there looking like an idiot i tried it one more time and it eventually fired up. Like it was nothing rode home and it was fine.. Then later that night it happened again same thing it would turn over but wouldn't fire up, let it sit for a little while and bam it fired up... I cant remember if it happened anymore after that, I think i charged the battery, and it stopped (or so i thought)

So last night i was riding home, at a stop light my horn starts faintly going off by itself (I thought i heard the bike doing this before but this is the first time I noticed it for-sure) then i make it to the last turn to my street a red light, im sitting there sweating my but off cause its so hot and humid and i just got done running around.. I was first at the light with a line of people behind me, so when the light turns green i start to release the clutch and give it some gas to take off but to my surprise the bike stalled, i thought it was because i had let the clutch out to fast (which i hardly ever do) but then i go to start it back up quick because i got a bunch of dummys behind me in a hurry to get home yelling crap.. and the thing wont fire just turns over but not starting (it started a couple time but would just stall real quick) So I walk my bike out of the lane so they can get around me (middle of a 6 lane road with a divider in the middle, and i was right in front of the divider, but anyway) i let it sit there for a minute tried it a few times still nothing so i say screw it and walk it over to an empty parking lot across the street, tried it a couple more times still nothing.. let it sit for a few minutes still nothing.... so i decided since i was close to home ill just walk it home... (tried it a few times on the way down the road still nothing) would just turn over but not fire up... By the time i got it home the battery was dead, (Probably from trying to start it so many times.) so i hooked it up to the charger. Went inside, came back a little while after tried it again and it starts right up..... So i turned it off and let it finish charging thinking it was just a dead battery or something.. (Obviously not the case)

So today i pull it off the charger me and my brother were going to go somewhere started up fine no problems, except now i notice my blinkers are no longer working (I have integrated taillights, and flush mounts up front) the blinker light on the dash comes on but it comes in faint not the bright orange, its not blinking on the dash either, just stays there the dim orange... When we stopped for gas i shut it off or it stalled cant remember, i think i shut it off then i started it and went to take off and it stalled (pretty sure thats how it happened) so me being the smart person i am try jumping it with jumper cables cause charging it seemed to fix it last night.. but nothing just doing the same thing turning over but not firing.. I put gas in because it was low after that figuring might as well rule out that im out of gas... go to start it and same thing... but after a couple trys it started up... Then we continue on our way to where we were headed get about half way there and as im coming to a stop sign it stalls....! So we pull over look at each other like were idiots thinking to myself i should have just turned around and went home.. but this time I figured out the problem!!!! The damn fuel pump wasnt priming there fore the engine isnt getting any fuel.... So to make this long drawn out story short I turned around after that and headed home! Having to stop and wait for the stupid pump to start working 2 more times....

So my question is.. WHAT IS CAUSING THIS???

Im not very mechanical I mean I can do something if im given good instructions but I dont know how to figure out whats causing this..

My ideas, It must be something electrical, because that would explain why the blinkers arent working and the horn randomly went off (which hasnt happened since)

Or maybe its just the fuel pump? but then why arent the blinkers working all the sudden?

Could my power commander be causing some sort of problem?

The guy i bought it from wired something wrong and its causing things to short out? (Has HID head lights, Integrated taillights, Flush mount blinkers, Power Commander, and i think theres a couple other things im forgetting to name but yeah you get the idea..) If thats the case where would i even begin to fix that mistake and or how would i trace where the mistake is?

I thought it might be the batterys bad but im pretty sure thats not the problem now?

Or maybe its something with the ignition?

I've checked all the fuses that I could see at least (under the seat) They all looked fine.

I dont really know how to check weather or not things are getting power to them so...

Please help me figure this out because this really sucks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-16-2014, 9:59 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Need Help Bike Wont Start (occasionally) Fuel Pump Not Priming

Quote:
Originally Posted by spossey View Post
Alright latest issue, If you dont feel like reading my long story heres the short version

Short Version
Bike started off by having trouble starting sometimes, would turn over but not fire, usually id give it some time and try again and it would fire up.. (Happened the day i bought it about last weekend, and a few other times) Now yesterday it stalled on me while I was riding and wouldn't start back up again turned over but wouldn't fire... Eventually I realized my fuel pump wasn't priming, so im guessing it wasn't running while I was riding that's why it stalled also.. Since its stalled now my blinkers aren't working either.. any ideas, Skip the story if you want and my questions and ideas are below it...

If you think you can help maybe read the story too so you get a better idea..

Long Version
So the night i bought my bike a 03 Honda CBR 954 rr, I stopped at the gas station to fill up, and it wouldn't start (turning over but not firing) I tryed and checked everything I could think of, Kill Switch, In gear, in neutral, kickstand, ect... eventually after a little while of sitting there looking like an idiot i tried it one more time and it eventually fired up. Like it was nothing rode home and it was fine.. Then later that night it happened again same thing it would turn over but wouldn't fire up, let it sit for a little while and bam it fired up... I cant remember if it happened anymore after that, I think i charged the battery, and it stopped (or so i thought)

So last night i was riding home, at a stop light my horn starts faintly going off by itself (I thought i heard the bike doing this before but this is the first time I noticed it for-sure) then i make it to the last turn to my street a red light, im sitting there sweating my but off cause its so hot and humid and i just got done running around.. I was first at the light with a line of people behind me, so when the light turns green i start to release the clutch and give it some gas to take off but to my surprise the bike stalled, i thought it was because i had let the clutch out to fast (which i hardly ever do) but then i go to start it back up quick because i got a bunch of dummys behind me in a hurry to get home yelling crap.. and the thing wont fire just turns over but not starting (it started a couple time but would just stall real quick) So I walk my bike out of the lane so they can get around me (middle of a 6 lane road with a divider in the middle, and i was right in front of the divider, but anyway) i let it sit there for a minute tried it a few times still nothing so i say screw it and walk it over to an empty parking lot across the street, tried it a couple more times still nothing.. let it sit for a few minutes still nothing.... so i decided since i was close to home ill just walk it home... (tried it a few times on the way down the road still nothing) would just turn over but not fire up... By the time i got it home the battery was dead, (Probably from trying to start it so many times.) so i hooked it up to the charger. Went inside, came back a little while after tried it again and it starts right up..... So i turned it off and let it finish charging thinking it was just a dead battery or something.. (Obviously not the case)

So today i pull it off the charger me and my brother were going to go somewhere started up fine no problems, except now i notice my blinkers are no longer working (I have integrated taillights, and flush mounts up front) the blinker light on the dash comes on but it comes in faint not the bright orange, its not blinking on the dash either, just stays there the dim orange... When we stopped for gas i shut it off or it stalled cant remember, i think i shut it off then i started it and went to take off and it stalled (pretty sure thats how it happened) so me being the smart person i am try jumping it with jumper cables cause charging it seemed to fix it last night.. but nothing just doing the same thing turning over but not firing.. I put gas in because it was low after that figuring might as well rule out that im out of gas... go to start it and same thing... but after a couple trys it started up... Then we continue on our way to where we were headed get about half way there and as im coming to a stop sign it stalls....! So we pull over look at each other like were idiots thinking to myself i should have just turned around and went home.. but this time I figured out the problem!!!! The damn fuel pump wasnt priming there fore the engine isnt getting any fuel.... So to make this long drawn out story short I turned around after that and headed home! Having to stop and wait for the stupid pump to start working 2 more times....

So my question is.. WHAT IS CAUSING THIS???

Im not very mechanical I mean I can do something if im given good instructions but I dont know how to figure out whats causing this..

My ideas, It must be something electrical, because that would explain why the blinkers arent working and the horn randomly went off (which hasnt happened since)

Or maybe its just the fuel pump? but then why arent the blinkers working all the sudden?

Could my power commander be causing some sort of problem?

The guy i bought it from wired something wrong and its causing things to short out? (Has HID head lights, Integrated taillights, Flush mount blinkers, Power Commander, and i think theres a couple other things im forgetting to name but yeah you get the idea..) If thats the case where would i even begin to fix that mistake and or how would i trace where the mistake is?

I thought it might be the batterys bad but im pretty sure thats not the problem now?

Or maybe its something with the ignition?

I've checked all the fuses that I could see at least (under the seat) They all looked fine.

I dont really know how to check weather or not things are getting power to them so...

Please help me figure this out because this really sucks...

Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 13 Old 05-16-2014, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Could be your Fuel relay or the Bank Angle relay. They both have to work properly to get the fuel pump working right.
I assume your not getting any codes from the FI light?
I know this sounds obvious, but make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-16-2014, 3:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

check the voltage on the pink wire coming from your ignition with the key turned on. If the voltage is above 9volts the diode in your ignition has gone bad. You can wire a 2.2k resistor in line to the pink wire and it will drop the voltage to the correct level. Do a search on here for "pink wire" and you will find a bunch of info on it. Its not hard, my diode went bad and im running a resistor in it as we speak.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-16-2014, 3:49 PM

you can get the a 5 pack of the resistors from radio shack for just a buck or so.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-16-2014, 9:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose?
Have not, dont really even know what that is, Tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Could be your Fuel relay or the Bank Angle relay. They both have to work properly to get the fuel pump working right.
I assume your not getting any codes from the FI light?
I know this sounds obvious, but make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.
Is there a simple way to check them?
The FI light comes on when i turn the key for a second aswell as the oil light the FI light goes off though figured that was normal is it not suppose to do that??
And the connections are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msf0002 View Post
check the voltage on the pink wire coming from your ignition with the key turned on. If the voltage is above 9volts the diode in your ignition has gone bad. You can wire a 2.2k resistor in line to the pink wire and it will drop the voltage to the correct level. Do a search on here for "pink wire" and you will find a bunch of info on it. Its not hard, my diode went bad and im running a resistor in it as we speak.
Could you point me in to the right direction of how i would check this? kinda an idiot when it comes to all this electrical stuff.. Any info would help.. Either someone else explaining it on another topic or yourself... I tried looking but couldnt really find anything to helpful

Quote:
you can get the a 5 pack of the resistors from radio shack for just a buck or so.
Good to know hopefully its a easy fix! (Could you possibly link me to what i would need if this turns out to be the problem)

Thank you all so much for your input hopefully I can get this figured out.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-17-2014, 1:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Read this thread

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...cal-issue.html
post #8 of 13 Old 05-17-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

So not sure where to find this pink wire.. but i did unplug the wire that plugs into the fuel pump, and it was getting 10.88 or something close is that too much? and would that plug be causing the blinkers not to work? (Currently the fuel pump is actutally working) soooo
post #9 of 13 Old 05-18-2014, 4:15 PM

the pink wire goes from the ignition(where you put your key in to start your bike) to the ecu I believe. It is an antitheft device so you cant just direct hot wire a bike, you would have to hot wire it through a resistor to drop the voltage to 9 or below to allow the ecu to prime your fuel pump(and create spark if my memory serves me correctly.) There is a tiny diode in the bottom of the ignition column that is drops the voltage to the correct level but they are known to go bad(mine did about 5 years ago that's how I know about it.) Just put "pink wire" in the search on here or even on google probably if you put "929rr pink wire". I found a great article on here I believe when I had to do it, I think it even had pictures showing you how to do it. I think the trick is just to drop the voltage anywhere below 9 volts, I think mine is sending like 4-5 volts to the ecu through the pink wire now and it works just fine. I would definitely do the search though, if you can find the article I used it explained it all perfectly. Feel free to hit me up I will take some pictures of how I did it if you need me to but there are some other things I need to take care of under the gas tank right now and I would like to do it all at the same time, and I have gas in my bike right now which makes it a pain in the ass. So test the voltage across the pink wire, if its more than 9 volts I will send you some pics on how to do it.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-18-2014, 4:18 PM

I just reread you last comment, I think you should be getting 12volts at least to your fuel pump, make sure your battery/connections are good! Try to borrow a battery from some one.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-18-2014, 4:20 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by spossey View Post
So not sure where to find this pink wire.. but i did unplug the wire that plugs into the fuel pump, and it was getting 10.88 or something close is that too much? and would that plug be causing the blinkers not to work? (Currently the fuel pump is actutally working) soooo

Is the battery putting out the same 10.88V though?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #12 of 13 Old 05-18-2014, 4:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Is the battery putting out the same 10.88V though?
Nope battery is reading 12.85v

Then I redid it a minute or few later and it dropped about .10v

And I redid it again and it dropped another .05v

(Im guessing thats normal though because I had the key "on" the whole time?

And the pink wire is putting out 8.94v so im guessing that that isnt the problem? Its the pink wire that goes into the grey plug to the ecu correct?
post #13 of 13 Old 05-19-2014, 2:37 AM

If your getting less than 9 volts to the ecu on the pink wire the diode probably isn't the problem. Less than 12 volts to the pump still sounds a little strange to me though? Shouldn't all the accessories be getting 12 volts?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page