HELP! High mileage 954-looking to possibly purchase/ rebuild - *NOOB*! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 3:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

HELP! High mileage 954-looking to possibly purchase/ rebuild - *NOOB*!

Hey everyone, let me start by saying I am new to the bike scene and this is my first post. I am looking to possibly buy a 2002 954RR. It wont be my starter bike so dont worry, it would be more of a project. I have been wanting to rebuild an engine for some time now for fun and learning experience, I am a mechanical engineering student, and love everything with motors and wheels.

So my friends dad has a 2002 cbr 954RR and it has been through a lot! About 4 years ago was the last time I saw it and it had 80,000 miles on it and he was trying to sell it for $1,000! SINCE then he gave it to his co-worker/friend to use since he got an '09 1000rr and that guy used it to commute as well. Then THAT guy gave it to HIS friend to use and commute on and that guy (third "owner") dropped the bike. Im estimating the bike has at least 100,000 miles on it by now, and im pretty sure it still runs.

The bike is now back at the original owners house (my friends dad) just sitting in the garage. His dad is about to get a BMW s1000RR. so this 954 is far in the past to to him.

Im wondering:

A) what is this thing worth?
B) How much would a full rebuild of the engine cost? im assuming it would need just about everything with all its been through.
C) would there be any other ESSENTIAL items to replace besides motor internals? IE. tranny stuff, clutch stuff, shocks, fork?

Thanks in advance everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 4:13 PM

Re: HELP! High mileage 954-looking to possibly purchase/ rebuild - *NOOB*!

That just sounds like more trouble than it's worth. If you're not going to be riding it why not try getting your engine rebuild skills on something more simple. A nice project would be something like a suzuki drz. Small engine less expensive and CHEAP. plus you can learn to ride on it and probably get all your money back when you want to upgrade.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 4:54 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyboi92 View Post
Hey everyone, let me start by saying I am new to the bike scene and this is my first post. I am looking to possibly buy a 2002 954RR. It wont be my starter bike so dont worry, it would be more of a project. I have been wanting to rebuild an engine for some time now for fun and learning experience, I am a mechanical engineering student, and love everything with motors and wheels.

So my friends dad has a 2002 cbr 954RR and it has been through a lot! About 4 years ago was the last time I saw it and it had 80,000 miles on it and he was trying to sell it for $1,000! SINCE then he gave it to his co-worker/friend to use since he got an '09 1000rr and that guy used it to commute as well. Then THAT guy gave it to HIS friend to use and commute on and that guy (third "owner") dropped the bike. Im estimating the bike has at least 100,000 miles on it by now, and im pretty sure it still runs.

The bike is now back at the original owners house (my friends dad) just sitting in the garage. His dad is about to get a BMW s1000RR. so this 954 is far in the past to to him.

Im wondering:

A) what is this thing worth?
B) How much would a full rebuild of the engine cost? im assuming it would need just about everything with all its been through.
C) would there be any other ESSENTIAL items to replace besides motor internals? IE. tranny stuff, clutch stuff, shocks, fork?

Thanks in advance everybody!

You didn't actually mention any problems that indicate the engine needs rebuilding so it's impossible to give you a costing.
Have you done wet and dry compression tests to see if the rings or valve seats are worn?
Do the clutch and transmission have problems?
Same with brakes and suspension, inspect and repair/replace anything that's worn or damaged.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 5:36 PM

Reputation Power: 6

In all honesty, you could easily spend a $1000 on getting a 100 k bike up to scratch, that then wouldn't be worth half what it has cost you.

My advice would be to look for something older, air cooled, that should be worth at least what it cost you by the time you've finished.

Also they're easier to 'learn' on, lower tolerances so you will get away with more and parts generally are cheaper!

Besides you have she'd loads to choose from I the US of A...
post #5 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 9:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
You didn't actually mention any problems that indicate the engine needs rebuilding so it's impossible to give you a costing.
Have you done wet and dry compression tests to see if the rings or valve seats are worn?
Do the clutch and transmission have problems?
Same with brakes and suspension, inspect and repair/replace anything that's worn or damaged.
From reading around I know youre the cbr guru! I havent done any of those tests but I am just speculating that it is more than likely the engine could use some freshening up....I have read the pistons scar the cylinder walls often....but you are the guru so if you had to guess what parts would need replacing on a 954 with at least 100K miles, what would they be? FYI im trying to get more info on the bike from my friends dad, as of now im just speculating because i dont know if things have been having issues or been replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSagan View Post
That just sounds like more trouble than it's worth. If you're not going to be riding it why not try getting your engine rebuild skills on something more simple. A nice project would be something like a suzuki drz. Small engine less expensive and CHEAP. plus you can learn to ride on it and probably get all your money back when you want to upgrade.
I actually want a drz 400sm! And i mean i wooulllddd ride the 954 if i got it running well, just to cruise around the neighborhood on, here and there locally not a bike id ride all the time like a drz. Also, I searched several cities for as cheap of a drz as i could find, and I think i could get this 954 cheaper.... he wanted a grand like 4 years ago when it had 80k, first owner, always garaged, and never dropped. Thats why im wondering what you guys think it is worth NOW after all its been through as I described in my original post and been dropped ect. ??
post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyboi92 View Post
From reading around I know youre the cbr guru! I havent done any of those tests but I am just speculating that it is more than likely the engine could use some freshening up....I have read the pistons scar the cylinder walls often....but you are the guru so if you had to guess what parts would need replacing on a 954 with at least 100K miles, what would they be? FYI im trying to get more info on the bike from my friends dad, as of now im just speculating because i dont know if things have been having issues or been replaced

I actually want a drz 400sm! And i mean i wooulllddd ride the 954 if i got it running well, just to cruise around the neighborhood on, here and there locally not a bike id ride all the time like a drz. Also, I searched several cities for as cheap of a drz as i could find, and I think i could get this 954 cheaper.... he wanted a grand like 4 years ago when it had 80k, first owner, always garaged, and never dropped. Thats why im wondering what you guys think it is worth NOW after all its been through as I described in my original post and been dropped ect. ??

Again, you would have to run some tests on the engine to determine what needs replacing. Since it's still being ridden it's probably just fine. The mileage is irrelevant, what matters is how the engine has been maintained.

Yes, the 929/954 does tend to tear the bores up, but they may still be just fine - you won't know until you do some tests or pull the head. Assuming the engine is in good condition but you wanted to bring it back to new, you would need rings, gaskets and perhaps valve guide seals. If the camchain is original then I would replace that as well. You might need to repair and plate the bores and maybe replace the pistons. In that case you could also bore it out and throw in a piston kit out to 980cc - that costs around $1400 including the piston kit. Contact US Chrome for repairing damaged bores and or for boring and plating.
If any of the main or rod shells are worn then you'd want to replace those.
If the valve seats are hammered or burnt, or the buckets are worn, your cheapest option would be to simply throw a secondhand head on the engine. If the cams are worn swap in another set.

CRANKSHAFT - PISTON
Rings are around $120.
Pistons are around $350.
Bearings are around $130 for the whole set.
Camchain is around $65.

If the fork tubes or shock are damaged it'd be cheaper to simply swap in secondhand items.
Fork tubes are around $300 each, and Racetech do new aftermarket ones for around $200 from memory.
FRONT FORK

If brake caliper seals, steering head bearings, and fuel filter are original you might want to replace them.
Seals are around $65. If you need new pistons as well, it'd be cheaper to put secondhand calipers on.
FRONT BRAKE CALIPER
Filter is around $45.
FUEL PUMP 2
Steering head bearings are around $50.
STEERING STEM

As for the value of the bike, it depends on its condition much more than what the odometer says.
And, what it was worth four years ago might be more or less than what it might be worth now - it depends on what the market is willing to pay for it. Are other 954's on the market in your area currently?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page