99 engine with 97 gearbox speedo problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-18-2014, 1:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

99 engine with 97 gearbox speedo problem

Hi I bought a blade which needed in the end 4th gear replacing, finding that getting the gears to match with what was in there to match I replaced with complete gears, drum forks and all from a donor bike. she is now running great but looks like the gear box was from a 97 and the speedo is way out, like showing 60-65 when I am doing around 80mph (potential real problem with the money box vans at the NW200 this year lol). The engine has the crankcase sensor. Does any1 have an idea of options? like if I got the 97 front sprocket speedo set up would this work? or can the crankcase set up be made to work? any advice apreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2014, 3:38 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: 99 engine with 97 gearbox speedo problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamS3 View Post
Hi I bought a blade which needed in the end 4th gear replacing, finding that getting the gears to match with what was in there to match I replaced with complete gears, drum forks and all from a donor bike. she is now running great but looks like the gear box was from a 97 and the speedo is way out, like showing 60-65 when I am doing around 80mph (potential real problem with the money box vans at the NW200 this year lol). The engine has the crankcase sensor. Does any1 have an idea of options? like if I got the 97 front sprocket speedo set up would this work? or can the crankcase set up be made to work? any advice apreciated
Hey Adam, I'm pretty sure the ratios were changed for 98-99, thus going with the 97 tranny will most likely mess up your speedo reading. You can buy a Speedo Healer to adjust the signal coming from the sensor to the dash, it adjusts the pulse I guess to bring it in range. I think they are about $100. Search speedo healer on here and see what you get. Good luck!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 4 Old 05-19-2014, 4:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Thanks I'll check up on them when I finish work. They might not do 99 clocks to 99 speedo sensor to 97 gearbox that is the question haha. With that in mind and the price and this isn't an option would the sprocket sensor fit to the 99?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-19-2014, 4:39 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamS3 View Post
Thanks I'll check up on them when I finish work. They might not do 99 clocks to 99 speedo sensor to 97 gearbox that is the question haha. With that in mind and the price and this isn't an option would the sprocket sensor fit to the 99?
No, it's a completely different set up. It should work with the healer. Guys here have added CBR600F4i clocks to their 900's (all year ranges) and with the healer they are able to get the proper readout. I am doing the same mod with my 93, which had a cable speedo. I'm adding the F4i clocks, and the sprocket speed sensor from a 96 900. It's a work in progress right now, far from getting it wired in. lol

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page