Not Another CBR954 Ticking!? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2014, 6:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Not Another CBR954 Ticking!?

I bought a CBR954 in parts to rebuild so I never heard it run but the guy spun a rod bearing. I fire it up after the rebuild and I'm getting this ticking noise. I've checked and re-checked the valves and the clearances are perfect. I replaced the CCT with OEM but it didn't help. Using a stethoscope it sounds like the noise is coming from somewhere near or around the head but I can't pinpoint a location. It seems about the same on both sides. The bike did not come with the air box flapper or HTEV exhaust valve and has aftermarket velocity stacks. Could this be making excessive valve noise? Anyone notice a difference in sound after removing the HTEV system? Aside from the noise the bike runs great. I wouldn't mind it so much if I wasn't planning to sell it.. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2014, 8:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Re: Not Another CBR954 Ticking!?

First off that bike is clean and looks great. I love everything being properly PC'd black. Secondly the ticking sound to me sounds like it is coming from possibly the valvetrain.

Can you go into more specifics about the rebuild such as was it bored, honed, pistons, etc. etc. These bikes have very temperamental cct's but you did say you replaced it with OEM. If you find something let us know and GLWS.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2014, 9:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. The previous owner did a nice job making the bike look good but apparently didn't take care of the engine. I'd love to keep it but can't justify a 929 and 954.

Anyways, it has a new (used) crankshaft, new (new) no.3 conn. rod, and new rod and journal bearings. The cylinder walls showed typical wear so those were just honed and I installed new, standard sized, piston rings. I cleaned all the carbon from the pistons and valves and lapped the valves but left the original valve guides. I didn't notice any excessive wear on the head but I wasn't paying too much attention (i.e. I didn't measure the valve springs or inspect the cam lobes) since the bike only has ~13k mi. I have also replaced the throttle body thinking it might be the injectors and it needed a new FPR anyways. New spark plugs didn't make a difference either. I'd hate to dump any more money into new parts and still not be able to solve the issue..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-19-2014, 9:52 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Did you check all of your valve shims to make sure they were accurately setup.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2014, 1:31 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Don't really notice anything catastrophic. Could be cam chain it self or maybe a slight exhaust leak? New exhaust gaskets went in?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2014, 5:35 PM

Mine does tick like this but when knocked into first and ridden a hundred metres or so it goes away, it did this before and after htve removed and air box flap. Nice colour bike btw
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2014, 6:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 327! I was hoping this was caused by the HTEV system removal but I wasn't really convinced. It's not that noticeable while riding but is there at every stop light and such.

I've checked the valves with feeler gauges literally three times, thinking something bumped loose, and they are all within tolerance. I also bought new exhaust gaskets but that didn't help.

I backed out the CCT today to see if it was fully extended but it still has some adjustability which leads me to believe the cam chain isn't too worn (I hope!). Back at it with the stethoscope and it seems like it's loudest coming from the thermostat. Also, 100% of the time the noise goes away between ~98-108 degrees F. I must be going nuts, I don't see how the thermostat could be causing this.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-20-2014, 8:27 PM

I've had quite a few Fireblades and I would have to agree that the Cam Chain and CCT are both worn. have you tried backing the CCT out? What you can do is loosen the 2 bolts (NOT ALL THE WAY) but just enough that you can hear the splines clicking as you back them out. It should allow for the CCT to tighten up against the Chain. start by only going 3-5 clicks then tighten it back up and start the bike see if that helps if it still ticks only go 2-3 more clicks out if you go to far the bike will make a crazy little cry baby whine sound NOT GOOD that means the chain is way to tight
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2014, 8:30 PM

Its not the Thermo when the metal parts start heating up they get bigger thus a kind of swelling if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page