cbr 929 cooling issues - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 5:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cbr 929 cooling issues

Hello all, I've got a CBR 929 01" and I'm having cooling issues. Previous owner epoxy welded waterpump closed so to drain coolant I pulled off a hose and refilled with engine ice and Honda coolant after running distilled water through it. Problem is now it gets hot like 240 at times when not moving. I'll normally see 210-215 when moving. Now the previous owner did have the siphon tube that comes from radiator connected to where overflow tube goes on coolant reserve tank, I switched it back. My fan does comes on but doesn't seem to cool bike down when not moving. Any suggestions ideas would be greatly aprreciated guys thanks in advanced. Also what purpose does the siphon tube provide?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 6:41 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: cbr 929 cooling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy929 View Post
Hello all, I've got a CBR 929 01" and I'm having cooling issues. Previous owner epoxy welded waterpump closed so to drain coolant I pulled off a hose and refilled with engine ice and Honda coolant after running distilled water through it. Problem is now it gets hot like 240 at times when not moving. I'll normally see 210-215 when moving. Now the previous owner did have the siphon tube that comes from radiator connected to where overflow tube goes on coolant reserve tank, I switched it back. My fan does comes on but doesn't seem to cool bike down when not moving. Any suggestions ideas would be greatly aprreciated guys thanks in advanced. Also what purpose does the siphon tube provide?

Did you bleed the air out as shown in the manual?
Not sure what you mean by "siphon tube", but the radiator overflows to the bottom of the reservoir, and then draws the coolant back as the pressure drops back to normal. From memory there are only two hoses at the radiator cap, the lower pressurised one back to the thermo housing, and the upper unpressurised one to the reservoir.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 7:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Did you bleed the air out as shown in the manual?
Not sure what you mean by "siphon tube", but the radiator overflows to the bottom of the reservoir, and then draws the coolant back as the pressure drops back to normal. From memory there are only two hoses at the radiator cap, the lower pressurised one back to the thermo housing, and the upper unpressurised one to the reservoir.
I did burp it with rad cap off , and some bubbles did come out. It seems as if it didn't take as much coolant as manual says it would've. I rode it came back and put some more coolant, though as stated before the siphon tube was connected to upper unpressurised part of reservoir so I was always losing a bit of coolant. I included a picture siphon tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2014-06-12-07-00-09.png‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 7:10 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I did burp it with rad cap off , and some bubbles did come out. It seems as if it didn't take as much coolant as manual says it would've. I rode it came back and put some more coolant, though as stated before the siphon tube was connected to upper unpressurised part of reservoir so I was always losing a bit of coolant. I included a picture siphon tube.

Okay, that is the overflow hose and should be connected _above_ the radiator cap so it it outside the pressurised cooling system.
If you have it connected to the lower nipple at the radiator cap you will not be getting any pressure in the system and are simply boiling the coolant away as steam.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 7:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay, that is the overflow hose and should be connected _above_ the radiator cap so it it outside the pressurised cooling system.
If you have it connected to the lower nipple at the radiator cap you will not be getting any pressure in the system and are simply boiling the coolant away as steam.
I have it connected to the circled part in picture on the radiator, I have no overflow hose, but as I understand it overflow hose connects to the top part of coolant reservoir and runs to back of bike unpressurized anyway, would this mixup cause bike to overheat?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2014-06-12-07-19-28.png‎  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 7:29 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have it connected to the circled part in picture on the radiator, I have no overflow hose, but as I understand it overflow hose connects to the top part of coolant reservoir and runs to back of bike unpressurized anyway, would this mixup cause bike to overheat?

The "siphon tube" is the overflow hose.
If it is connected correctly then it's not the cause of the problem.
But coolant should not flow to the reservoir until the temperature is well above boiling point. At what temp is it dumping it to the reservoir?

post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 7:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The "siphon tube" is the overflow hose.
If it is connected correctly then it's not the cause of the problem.
But coolant should not flow to the reservoir until the temperature is well above boiling point. At what temp is it dumping it to the reservoir?
I actually just connected hose to where its supposed to be yesterday and didn't get a chance to warm her up n ride because of Florida rain. When I noticed coolant under bike I was at DMV after riding her and getting her up to say 235 238 degrees and parked it when I came out I noticed coolant dripping.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2014, 7:01 PM Thread Starter

Update after connecting hose where it goes and burping system, I found d that although fan works it doesnt come on at 215 degrees. Also discovered that when I turn on highbeams bike temp jumps 10 degrees which leads me to think thermo switch on rad is shot, ordered a new one, I'll update, by the way thanks blade for input.

Last edited by rudy929; 06-14-2014 at 7:06 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page