929 Electrical problem, need help please - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 7:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 Electrical problem, need help please

I got a 2001 929 a few weeks back with 50,000 miles. Seems to have been well cared for - it's a blast to ride! After 2 weeks of normal operation, about 2 weeks ago, I went out to the garage and when I turned on the ignition - no headlights or dash backlights. Just the neutral light and the oil light. She cranks over fine, but won't start. I checked all the fuses and the battery terminals - all fine. After i get done fiddling, she starts up fine - which makes me nervous.

Turned into an intermittent problem, where sometimes I would turn the key and everything was good, sometimes I'd have to cycle the key on and off a few times before I would get lights and start. It started to get worse where she stalled while idling and i had to cycle the ignition a few times to get her started. One hiccup at highway speed, which was startling, but she continued on fine.

I read all the threads i could find and ordered a replacement bank angle sensor and engine stop relay in the meantime i checked the pink wire business - the diode is reducing the voltage down to around 9v. Just to be sure, I bypassed the ignition switch with a 1k resistor, no luck.

I tried jumping the bank angle sensor, engine stop relay, and fuel cut off relays with no luck. I started following the system diagram on page 5-6 of the manual, power is getting to both the main fuses A & B.

Here's where it gets weird, I disconnected the Engine stop relay and tested the wires going to the unit. With the ignition off, I have 12.38 volts on the red/white wire, nothing on the rest. With the ignition on, I have 12.38 at the red/white, 12.28 on the Black/Grey and 11.78 on the Red/Orange, still nothing on the Black/White. Again, this is just testing the wires coming to the relay - with no relay attached.

Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 929 Electrical problem, need help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsfield View Post
I got a 2001 929 a few weeks back with 50,000 miles. Seems to have been well cared for - it's a blast to ride! After 2 weeks of normal operation, about 2 weeks ago, I went out to the garage and when I turned on the ignition - no headlights or dash backlights. Just the neutral light and the oil light. She cranks over fine, but won't start. I checked all the fuses and the battery terminals - all fine. After i get done fiddling, she starts up fine - which makes me nervous.

Turned into an intermittent problem, where sometimes I would turn the key and everything was good, sometimes I'd have to cycle the key on and off a few times before I would get lights and start. It started to get worse where she stalled while idling and i had to cycle the ignition a few times to get her started. One hiccup at highway speed, which was startling, but she continued on fine.

I read all the threads i could find and ordered a replacement bank angle sensor and engine stop relay in the meantime i checked the pink wire business - the diode is reducing the voltage down to around 9v. Just to be sure, I bypassed the ignition switch with a 1k resistor, no luck.

I tried jumping the bank angle sensor, engine stop relay, and fuel cut off relays with no luck. I started following the system diagram on page 5-6 of the manual, power is getting to both the main fuses A & B.

Here's where it gets weird, I disconnected the Engine stop relay and tested the wires going to the unit. With the ignition off, I have 12.38 volts on the red/white wire, nothing on the rest. With the ignition on, I have 12.38 at the red/white, 12.28 on the Black/Grey and 11.78 on the Red/Orange, still nothing on the Black/White. Again, this is just testing the wires coming to the relay - with no relay attached.

Any thoughts on this?

If cycling the ignition key helps then maybe pull the base off and see if the wiring is still attached,
Might be worth checking the earth junction block inside the harness, they are known to corrode or just come apart.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Blade. I tried completely bypassing the ignition switch, using a diode to reduce the voltage to the pink wire - with no change - so I don't think that's it. I am just getting ready to pull the tank and airbox to check out this godforsaken ground block in the harness I have been reading about. The rear ground, under the bank angle sensor, looks to be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Blade - Anyone we could get to weigh in on the voltage readings coming into the Engine Stop Relay? Thanks so much.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352[1].JPG
Views:	11
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	59884

Holy Christ - this certainly doesn't look good. Looks like I'll be soldering the same colored wires together - hopefully this will solve my problem
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsfield View Post
Attachment 59884

Holy Christ - this certainly doesn't look good. Looks like I'll be soldering the same colored wires together - hopefully this will solve my problem

Doesn't look right to me either ;-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 1:40 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Those are grounds. If I remember correctly the blk/wht are computer controlled and the green are chassis ground. That is just a junction Honda used to put lots of wire together. Probably got corroded causing the connection to arch and overheat. You could eliminate it and solder all the blk/wht wires together and all the green wires together. Use heat shrink over your connection.

2001 Erion 929 Race Bike
1998 Ducati 748
2002 CR125/CR500 Aluminum Conversion
1994 CR500 Completely Built
2000CR250/CR500 Conversion In Process
1950 Indian Warrior 500cc Vertical Twin
1995 Mustang Cobra Turbo Built 820rwhp/879ftlbs
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 4:23 AM Thread Starter

Sure enough - I bundled up all the black/white and soldered them together, did the same with all the green. She's purring like a kitten!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 8:40 AM Thread Starter

My reward for staying up way too late working in the garage last night? Not a cloud in the sky this morning - gonna be extra sweet twisting that throttle today!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page