another 954 exhaust question! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

another 954 exhaust question!

yo yo yo! so im looking to get a new aftermarket pipe on my 954 but had givin some thought to possibly modifying the stock one. im really just looking to make the bike sound better/louder. i was wondering if anyone has cut down the stock pipe n how to do this. i know aftermarket pipes are pretty much a straight thru design n thats pretty much a no-brainer but i really have no idea whats going on inside the stock 954 pipe. ive looked on youtube n searched for some info on the subject but couldnt find a write up or a video. i know people have surely done this n would love it if someone could point me at a nice write up or just give me an idea of what id be getting into on the inside of the pipe n what i could expect out of the sound it makes after chopping it down. thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: another 954 exhaust question!

Hey there! But cutting your pipe is not always the best idea but it can work! You just have to remember that cutting the pipe or upgrading to an aftermarket setupwill allow for better airflow out of the exhaust, causing your air-fuel ratio to change which will affect how your bike runs. So if you plan to cut your exhaust or buy aftermarket be ready to buy a Power Commander or some thing similar and have it dyno tuned.

03 954RR Stretched & Slammed
Check Me Out On Instagram Also @JCosby
post #3 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

im probably going to buy an rs3 yosh pipe just because i found one thats brand new for less than half the price. my hope is to just find a shop with that yosh box in house to re-map it for the bike n save me the cost of the pc right now. i was told by the dude thats got the pipe i wouldnt need to cut the spark arrestor off for the rs3 so hopefully thats the case. i mean im fairly confident the spark arrestor its self doesnt do much one way or the other to affect the back pressure but im not gonna chop it off if i dont gotta. im not even worried about the hp gains id get from a aftermarket pipe to be honest i just want it to sound more the part. i like a loud bike personally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 12:30 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
im probably going to buy an rs3 yosh pipe just because i found one thats brand new for less than half the price. my hope is to just find a shop with that yosh box in house to re-map it for the bike n save me the cost of the pc right now. i was told by the dude thats got the pipe i wouldnt need to cut the spark arrestor off for the rs3 so hopefully thats the case. i mean im fairly confident the spark arrestor its self doesnt do much one way or the other to affect the back pressure but im not gonna chop it off if i dont gotta. im not even worried about the hp gains id get from a aftermarket pipe to be honest i just want it to sound more the part. i like a loud bike personally

Do you mean that the Yosh box will remap the Honda ECU?
If you're only changing the muffler you shouldn't need to map anything.
Cutting the cone off is _very_ common, it won't affect performance.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 5:59 AM

The rs3 yoshimura is a good one, but since you have a stock one you can play a bit with it. Shortening the muffler, and changing the density or type of the mineral insulation may do the right job for you

Remember, as bladeracer said above - you don't neet to remap anything, if you are only changing the muffler.

Actually if it is not a track/race bike - remapping doesn't make sense to me since the HP gain/loss is felt on the track and the numbers are in rare cases reaching 10-15 hp if you have a really good exhaust generation and a really experienced tuner to map it to the bike.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 8:28 AM Thread Starter

yeah the yosh box remaps the factory ecu. now its said that the yosh box isnt a pc and has its limits but that for light mods like a slip-on and a filter or things of that nature the yosh box works great. it just doesnt have the same amount of adjust-ability as a pc. they do it in house with a dyno but its a lot less expensive than the pc. its just an option i guess. like i said im just a street rider and the 954 is well into having enough power for me personally. im not trying to win any races except with myself and im on a budget. but i do want it to sound better. i mean it runs great with the stock pipe but it could sound a lot better. i found the rs3 brand new in the box fr 150$, its never even been installed n guy said he paid 350$ so im gonna buy it. its a pretty good deal and im not exactly the biggest yosh fan but the rs3 kinda fits the look of the bike well and i already know a yosh pipe sounds pretty good. im going to check around for the yosh box at some of my local shops but like i said i dont even care about hp gains all tho i wouldnt turn them down. i just dont want any decrease in performance but like bladeracer said its just a bolt on and i dont think throwing a bolt on pipe is going to do anything but good for how it runs if anything but it should sound a lot better and louder. it just is to quiet and i for one think you outta be able to hear a bike, specially a liter bike coming a block away!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
yeah the yosh box remaps the factory ecu. now its said that the yosh box isnt a pc and has its limits but that for light mods like a slip-on and a filter or things of that nature the yosh box works great. it just doesnt have the same amount of adjust-ability as a pc. they do it in house with a dyno but its a lot less expensive than the pc. its just an option i guess. like i said im just a street rider and the 954 is well into having enough power for me personally. im not trying to win any races except with myself and im on a budget. but i do want it to sound better. i mean it runs great with the stock pipe but it could sound a lot better. i found the rs3 brand new in the box fr 150$, its never even been installed n guy said he paid 350$ so im gonna buy it. its a pretty good deal and im not exactly the biggest yosh fan but the rs3 kinda fits the look of the bike well and i already know a yosh pipe sounds pretty good. im going to check around for the yosh box at some of my local shops but like i said i dont even care about hp gains all tho i wouldnt turn them down. i just dont want any decrease in performance but like bladeracer said its just a bolt on and i dont think throwing a bolt on pipe is going to do anything but good for how it runs if anything but it should sound a lot better and louder. it just is to quiet and i for one think you outta be able to hear a bike, specially a liter bike coming a block away!

I know it can remap Suzuki ECU's, just never heard of it working on Honda.

Yep, the LEO's love to hear us coming...

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

you know im not real sure if it works on a honda or not? i know the ecu has a chip n storage for the maps just like any ecu n so i just assumed itd work on the honda as well? maybe not tho. ive tried to find out online n im not finding any examples of it used on a honda. o well guess ill just hafta wait till i can afford a pc but ill see how it feels without it because im getting the pipe and the pc will hafta wait if i even think it needs it!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 5:44 PM

I have also never heard of yoshimura box for Honda. Actually the PC is the only thing I have seen on Hondas, not including cheap junk boxes simulating the air temp sensor. Maybe its better this way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page