rough running after re-fueling. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 9:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

rough running after re-fueling.

Hi.
I am totally gutted to have had to end my holiday traveling to the Alps due to a problem with my 1998 cbr 900 rrw.
I have used the bike for over 1000 miles with no issue apart from a low down hesitation that i put down to the exhaust I fitted.
Pic shows exhaust . Standard headers and fabricated stainless underseat with no baffling except in endcan. I refuelled in France, approx 300 miles into the journey, after having refueled twice already, and nearly straight away it began to run really rough. It would not rev cleanly, especially over 4000 rpm, and would feel like it was running out of fuel. I tightened down a slightly loose airbox and drained the fuel out and put new in as well as checking the fuel filter. This didn't help and I was forced to travel the 450 miles back at 55mph !
Since returning I have checked the plugs. OK. I have removed the carbs and would like advice as to what to look for that would give the symptoms i describe. Incidentally, it starts well and ticks over well and revs really cleanly when stationary.
Any advice would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 9:32 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Re: rough running after re-fueling.

Main jets blocked/dirty? Pilots being ok would let it idle.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
Have to easi out one of the pilot screws, as disintegrated the cross head as soon as it started to turn, but the jets all appear to be ok. bowls all clean and nothing blindinly obvious wrong ! Before anybody mentions the dreaded rectifier..I replaced that last year whilst in Marsaille as it failed then ! So many things it could be but is it just coincidence it happened after i filled up ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM

I don't know where you are, but Steve Lynhams in Swindonia is your best bet, if you get no-where with it.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 12:05 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Choke stuck on maybe? Seems weird to not rev over 4K well. Is fuel traveling properly to the carbs?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Cheers mate. I live in Devizes but know Steve lynham ( used to live next door but 1 in Highworth ! ). My preference, as an absolute last resort, would be JHS in Bath. Would really like to sort it myself but dont like clutching at straws !. just taken all the jets out and all are spotless. Think I will test the coils and Ht leads next.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM

Garage

Oh, and your blade is very tidy. Kinda reminds me of another one's a few incarnations ago from this site..........

post #8 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Ian.
I have checked the hoses and all are clear including the breather hose. When I removed the tank I pulled the choke and it was free and returned to its correct position then i pushed it back in. The whole of the 450miles I travelled back was the same even though I filled up at least 4 times. Its starting to become a little frustrating !!!
post #9 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ian.
Mr chops original was my Muse. Unfortunately at the moment mine is all show and no go !!
post #10 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelawson View Post
Cheers mate. I live in Devizes but know Steve lynham ( used to live next door but 1 in Highworth ! ). My preference, as an absolute last resort, would be JHS in Bath. Would really like to sort it myself but dont like clutching at straws !. just taken all the jets out and all are spotless. Think I will test the coils and Ht leads next.
No worries, i'm up the road in Chipp, no ideas, but if there's anything i can do, let me know.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 12:25 PM

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Ian.
I have checked the hoses and all are clear including the breather hose. When I removed the tank I pulled the choke and it was free and returned to its correct position then i pushed it back in. The whole of the 450miles I travelled back was the same even though I filled up at least 4 times. Its starting to become a little frustrating !!!
That was my next offering, suggesting maybe there was a vacuum created by a blocked fuel tank breather hose. Oh well. Any unusual noises as it starts to stutter? Like maybe a tossed rod bearing? I for sure hope that's not it.

post #12 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Cheers "Spaz" .
No unusual noises Ian. I pulled the clutch in when it started stuttering and it revs spot on. There are so many people on this forum that have had issues with fireblades that Im sure I cant be the only one that has experienced this problem ? The problem only arises when you try to rev it past 4000-5000rpm in any gear.
Whatever happens, I will definately post the solution when I find out what it is.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-17-2014, 6:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

I know next to nothing about carbs, but it sure sounds like your bike is starving for fuel. Hesitation under a high(er) rpm/load usually means starvation, while a bog usually means to rich.
No obstructions anywhere in the fuel system? Tank is venting properly, no pinches in the fuel line? How did you 'check' you fuel filter?
post #14 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 3:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I know next to nothing about carbs, but it sure sounds like your bike is starving for fuel. Hesitation under a high(er) rpm/load usually means starvation, while a bog usually means to rich.
No obstructions anywhere in the fuel system? Tank is venting properly, no pinches in the fuel line? How did you 'check' you fuel filter?
Thanks for the reply.
I have blown the lines through and no obstructions. The fuel "filter" on a rrw is a plastic tube which goes inside the tank behind the petcock, it has a series of gauze "slots" incorporated. all the gauze elements are clear.
I am with you on the fuel starvation route and was fully expecting to find an obstruction in the jets or blockage but...nothing !
post #15 of 18 Old 06-18-2014, 4:03 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Hi.
I am totally gutted to have had to end my holiday traveling to the Alps due to a problem with my 1998 cbr 900 rrw.
I have used the bike for over 1000 miles with no issue apart from a low down hesitation that i put down to the exhaust I fitted.
Pic shows exhaust . Standard headers and fabricated stainless underseat with no baffling except in endcan. I refuelled in France, approx 300 miles into the journey, after having refueled twice already, and nearly straight away it began to run really rough. It would not rev cleanly, especially over 4000 rpm, and would feel like it was running out of fuel. I tightened down a slightly loose airbox and drained the fuel out and put new in as well as checking the fuel filter. This didn't help and I was forced to travel the 450 miles back at 55mph !
Since returning I have checked the plugs. OK. I have removed the carbs and would like advice as to what to look for that would give the symptoms i describe. Incidentally, it starts well and ticks over well and revs really cleanly when stationary.
Any advice would be welcomed.

Did you replace the plugs?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page