Help removing stuck crash bung bolt! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-17-2014, 3:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Help removing stuck crash bung bolt!

Hi Guys,

I'm replacing my crash bungs with some R&G ones - the mounting bolt came off fine on one side of the bike - they are allen key style bolts and it didn't require too much pressure too loosen.

Sadly the same can't be said for the other side - typical! It's stuck solid - I'm trying to not exert too much pressure on it in case I round off the head.

I was trying to remove it with the bike warm and then thought perhaps I should wait until it's cool as surely the metal would expand when warm? or is it the other way around?

I've tried tapping the allen key with a rubber mallet to shock it and have now left it soaking in WD40 - at least what I can get to - which isn't a lot due to the spacer you fit between the frame and engine block.

Any tips?!

Cheers

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-17-2014, 9:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Help removing stuck crash bung bolt!

If all else fails I would try an impact gun. Start on a low impact setting and see if that judders it loose.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-17-2014, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Help removing stuck crash bung bolt!

impact gun is a great tool for getting stuck bolts n such loose for sure. im not sure about across the pond but here you can even borrow them from auto parts stores for a small deposit thats refunded after you return the tool. heat does expand metal but when your trying to loosen a bolt in places where you can people will usually try and heat up the area to get a stuck bolt loose. ive used a blow torch many times to heat up n remove a stuck bolt. usually this works because you dont try n heat up the bolt its self but the surrounding area the bolt is threaded into expanding that metal while the bolt inside stays cooler loosening its grip on the threads. im sure that might be kinda hard to do in this situation but i guess it depends on where you have the slider installed n whats around it. if its in the engine block and you can manage a torch on the area without catching anything on fire itd be worth a shot. id do this while the engine is cold tho. if you try it after its been running n the block is hot already you can bet that same amount of heat has made its way into the bolt as well n defeats the purpose. id advise you to be carefull as well tho n take your time if you attempt this because more than likely your block or head is aluminum and you gotta think about to much heat in one spot could warp a head or burn up a gasket. it doesnt hafta be glowing red hot just needs to be hotter than the bolt by say 100-150 degrees to get the most out of the expansion your going to get. more than that n youd probably just start getting the bolt hot from heat transferring into the bolt because it would take so long to get that area hotter than 150 degrees. if your worried about messing up something or its just not in a place where you can get a torch to the surrounding metal the impact driver will most likely bust it loose

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page