First sports bike - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-17-2014, 9:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

First sports bike

Hello all.

First let me say I have been riding motorcycles for 20+ years but have never owned but always wanted a sports bike. Well I have a good friend that is a certified motorcycle mechanic and he sent me a message Sunday that one of his clients had a 1999 CBR900RR with 2400 miles that they wanted to sell. He said he has gone over the bike thoroughly and it is in great shape. He thinks the owner wants $2000 for it and will let me know for sure tomorrow.

So to my questions. Would that be an ok sports bike to get my feet wet with and with me being 6'5" would that bike be to small as far as comfort?

Thanks for any replies and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-17-2014, 9:58 PM

Re: First sports bike

Just a street bike or are you going to track it?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Hey Texas. Pure street bike just to ride and scoot around town and play on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

thats a real tough bike for sure!! they are wicked fun to ride and you really get something on one of the older bikes that the new ones just cant give you. so much more involving and just raw! lotta lotta fun like i said. if its in good shape thats a nice price too. your a pretty tall guy by the sound of it n sport bikes are a bit more cramped up and uncomfortable by nature. of the sport bikes tho id say its pretty comfy in general. i mean its by no means gonna be like anything youve ridden before if your experience is with cruisers but its by design. it probably wouldnt make thr best sport touring bike in the world either but im sure people still use it for that. its bigger than a 600 but its no 1100 either. honestly man its one of the coolest sport bikes ever and with your riding experience youll be fine on it. just be prepared because it might not be a 2014 cbr1000 in terms of performance but they are fast for sure. you cant just crank it to full throttle n hold on like on a cruiser, the 900 is a wheelie machine if ever there was one so throttle control is paramount. just one of the many many reasons a sport bike is so fun! id personally recommend you buy it man. like i said if its in pretty good condition, even if its got some miles on it thats not a bad price at all. worst comes to worse you could just sell it. probably even make more than you paid for it. this is again just my opinion but the 90's model cbr900 is just a real real fun bike to ride with tons of character n all the "sport" anyone really ever needs. hell im excited for you if you cant tell. just respect it man, obviously your not a kid jumping on a cbr900 for the first bike and in that case id pretty much strongly advise against it, but just be aware the cbr900 is no honda shadow or anything like it! its a whole lotta bad ass n anyone who says otherwise just hasnt ridden one or doesnt know what there talking about. let us know what you decide on it n if you get it throw some pictures up of the bike and you with that big smile you will be having!
post #5 of 13 Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Was that supposed to be 24,000 miles or 2,400? 2,400 at $2000 would be a deal of the century. Buy it. At 24,000 miles it's a great deal. Buy it. The only worry is your 6-5 frame may only be able to handle about 20 minutes on the thing unless you make some ergonomic changes. Your wrists knees and back will be very pissed at you. Aside from that,

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 8:39 AM

Reputation Power: 8

I never really given any thought to how long I've been riding until I read your post. I took my Motorcycle road test the same day as my Car road test, back to back, the first chance I could. That puts me at almost 20 years.. Wow, where does the time go?..... Anyway I'm 6'4, have always ridden cruisers, my first bike was a V65 magna, had a few Harleys (which for some reason I cant stand now) some sport touring bikes.. but always wanted a true sport bike, a fireblade. Last year I made it happen, with an 06 1000RR. I was like a giddy school girl on that first ride... my first thought when I got back was, HOLY SH$T why did I wait so long?
I will admit my wrists do get a little soar on longer rides, but that is nothing compared to the fun you'll have. Like 954Kevin says, throttle control and respect. If it was my choice for $2g, I'd buy it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Hopefully you buy it and well get to see some pics soon
post #7 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Was that supposed to be 24,000 miles or 2,400? 2,400 at $2000 would be a deal of the century. Buy it. At 24,000 miles it's a great deal. Buy it. The only worry is your 6-5 frame may only be able to handle about 20 minutes on the thing unless you make some ergonomic changes. Your wrists knees and back will be very pissed at you. Aside from that,
Yep 2400 miles and runs out great.

So what ergonomic changes are you referring to?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 1:56 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppajac View Post
Yep 2400 miles and runs out great.

So what ergonomic changes are you referring to?
Wow, that's brilliant luck with the low miles. A friend of mine who was 6-2 felt so cramped on his he had to buy a set of Heli bars. They brought the bars up a few inches and took a lot of pressure off his wrists and was able to sit a little more upright, relieving back strain. I think he may have gotten a custom Corbin seat somewhere down the road too. I hope you buy it, but definitely take it for a longer test ride if possible.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 2:44 PM

yeah they arent really made for comfort thats for sure. im 5'10" so they tend to fit me pretty well. probably the most comfortable sport bike ive ridden was a 2001 kawasaki zx9r. it had tons of room. on the other end of that spectrum is an yamaha r1. with the suzuki gsxr just behind the r1 and the honda fireblade closer to the zx9r. so the honda isnt the worst n not quite the best when it comes to roomy comfort. from what it sounds like you have other bikes? if you want comfort you can always ride one of your other bikes but let me tell you that what you sacrifice in comfort the bike makes up for in fun!
post #10 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 2:49 PM

ill be slightly disappointed if you dont buy it actually!! lol
post #11 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 3:23 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to say but the owner decided to keep the bike after all.

After reading posts here I think I will keep looking for a CBR.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 4:39 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppajac View Post
Sorry to say but the owner decided to keep the bike after all.

After reading posts here I think I will keep looking for a CBR.
AWWWWW RAT FECK!!! Yes, keep looking. Fantastic sport bike at any year. Good luck!

post #13 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 5:22 PM

bummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page