what 900rr-n suspension upgrades? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 6:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

what 900rr-n suspension upgrades?

Hi All,

Will soon have my 92 Blade back on the road, following 15 years standing...

I need to replace the fork tubes and seals anyway and want to consider what the best value upgrade would be to the forks while I'm at it, I want to keep the bike original (so no 17" front, USD forks etc) and will not spend too much more than standard equipment.

Im not too sure of the performance of the rear shock yet (yes I know after 24 years its past its best!) but it only has 18k miles on it. what is a good replacement rear shock for similiar money to getting the original refurbed?

Im UK based btw.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: what 900rr-n suspension upgrades?

pensky makes a nice rear shock thats a whole lot better than the stock but a lot cheaper than some of the others. a lot of people use them to upgrade their suspension on a budget. in the front if your trying to keep it original looking id just replace the parts that need replacing or buy a good used set and upgrade the internals. seals, springs n fresh oil makes a huge difference on a used up suspension. id say the pensky shock might be a little more than just rebuilding the stock one but you really will be happy with the little extra cash you spend over a rebuild. even a basic rebuild isnt exactly cheap. suspension oil does actually degrade just with time as well even if its not been used so even tho its not been on the road you could still have a bum shock just from sitting. lottsa times the center shaft on a rear will get rust on it or pitting from sitting a long time and if thats the case you may as well buy a nice new upgrade because a general rebuild doesnt include those parts and the cost of replacing those during a rebuild will likely make it more than just getting the pensky in there. you can have the same kinda issues with the front tubes as well. if the inner tubes are scratched up or pitted you will need to replace them before you put new seals n stuff on them or itll just destroy them. if there bad you might even be able to find a decent pair of used ones cheaper than the cost to replace the tubes and have a better starting point. just kinda depends on where they are in terms of condition. as long as there not rusted or pitted up or bent you should be cool to just rebuild the ones youve got.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingmiles View Post
Hi All,

Will soon have my 92 Blade back on the road, following 15 years standing...

I need to replace the fork tubes and seals anyway and want to consider what the best value upgrade would be to the forks while I'm at it, I want to keep the bike original (so no 17" front, USD forks etc) and will not spend too much more than standard equipment.

Im not too sure of the performance of the rear shock yet (yes I know after 24 years its past its best!) but it only has 18k miles on it. what is a good replacement rear shock for similiar money to getting the original refurbed?

Im UK based btw.

Thanks guys

New OEM tubes are pretty reasonable - $200 each.
FRONT FORK

Racetech do replacement fork tubes, as well as nitrided ones.
RT - TNK Fork Tube Search
You could also do Gold Valve kits in the forks and shock.
RT - Digital Product Search

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 2:51 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

I have a complete set for a US spec RRP (1993). One pinch bolt for the axle was drilled through at one point to allow for a magnetic pick up for a speedo that never got installed. I also have 2 lowers for a 97 that I will part with if you so choose to try and swap them out. That was my plan until a set of 96's fell in my lap. PM me for pics if you want. I figure $125 US for the lot plus shipping out to the UK??. No idea how much that would be. They are the ones pictured on my bike in my cafe build. No leaks and I used them for about 2 months last year, which equalled about 500 miles.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 2:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

cant beat that....
post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 5:20 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 6

Blade, thanks for the links, really helpful, seriously tempted with the cartridge kit! Any one tried these? Easy to fit, tune?

Doohan, thanks for the offer, real good deal! My forks are ok, just the stanchions are pitted through standing. I can get near OEM British made tubes form £160 pair ($200 ish) the postage to the UK would kill the deal!

The rear shock is a whole other thing, which I'll worry about when I need to!

Penske looks a good deal but not available over this side of the pond! Can't imagine it's worth getting the original rebuilt!

post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 2:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

For a rear shock re-build I would contact Kias suspension in Atherton, Lancs. Always take mine to them, about £130 for a good condition sock.
The design of the shock does not allow for re-charging so they strip out the damping units and re-work them so that they can be easily recharged when needed.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 7:06 PM

Reputation Power: 9

Obviously depends on exactly how much you want to spend. I really recommend Nitron for a rear shock as their service is fantastic. Even just the basic Sport shock will be good. I believe they even sell seconds ( a scratch or chip in the paint) at a bargain price.
You can buy KTech springs and valve kits for the front end and there was NOS stanchions on a Flea Bay recently.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page