929 with unnerving sounds - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-21-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

929 with unnerving sounds

Hey guys was really hoping someone here can point me in the right direction with what might be wrong with my bike. It is making several sounds.

1) When riding starting at about 3800 rpms there is a rattling almost jingling sound from the front of the engine and it continues until the exhaust masks all sounds. Does not change with clutch pulled in.

2) Lately has been shifting a little rough and when rolling with clutch pulled in it makes a few deep clunk sounds.

3)This one has made me stop riding it. When im going slow i hear what sounds like some small metal pieces bouncing around the case. Almost sounds like wire brushes wires.

Im thinking i will have to drop the engine and look around at the gears and clutch but if ya'll have another suggestion I would love to hear it.

I was thinking cct for a but i made myself a manual tensioner with a bold and locknut.
Thanks folks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-25-2014, 1:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: 929 with unnerving sounds

I guess I'll just scrap it. Chinese junk
post #3 of 18 Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 PM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPbikes View Post

Where on earth did you get a Chinese 929?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hey guys was really hoping someone here can point me in the right direction with what might be wrong with my bike. It is making several sounds.

1) When riding starting at about 3800 rpms there is a rattling almost jingling sound from the front of the engine and it continues until the exhaust masks all sounds. Does not change with clutch pulled in.

2) Lately has been shifting a little rough and when rolling with clutch pulled in it makes a few deep clunk sounds.

3)This one has made me stop riding it. When im going slow i hear what sounds like some small metal pieces bouncing around the case. Almost sounds like wire brushes wires.

Im thinking i will have to drop the engine and look around at the gears and clutch but if ya'll have another suggestion I would love to hear it.

I was thinking cct for a but i made myself a manual tensioner with a bold and locknut.
Thanks folks

Check the PAIR reed valves perhaps?
Or the HTEV?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 18 Old 06-26-2014, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Where on earth did you get a Chinese 929?
lol i actually laughed out loud reading this
post #6 of 18 Old 06-26-2014, 8:26 AM Thread Starter

Im not sure where I managed to find one, The htev moves under the different throttle levels. So I assume its in proper order Ill run it today and put my stethoscope on it and see how it sounds. What are Reed valves?
post #7 of 18 Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 AM

the reed valves are on top of the valve cover. there are two of them. they are basically one way valves that suck fresh air in from a hose that goes to the air box to lesson exhaust emissions.

its not super common they go bad but not unheard of either. lots of people just remove them all together with a set of block off plates you can get to put on the valve cover after you remove the reed valves. it wont do much in the way of adding any performance but does clean things up and cuts a bit of weight off. nothing major but guys that race particularly are always looking for a simplified way to break down a motor and shave weight from their machines.

take a listen and try to pinpoint where your noise is. you can get a long screw driver and place the tip on different parts of the block with the handle end pressed against your ear. move it around until you get to where its the loudest.

i understand that might be difficult to do while trying to hold the throttle at a certain rpms but not impossible. that wont tell you for sure the problem but it will be easy to determine if its coming from the transmission or the bottom end or the top end of the block.

the reed valves kinda make a buzzing raspy kinda sound that i guess might be described as a wire brush kinda sound? anyway see if you can find out a little more where its coming from n get back to us.

a clip of the sound would really help the guys have a better idea of what kinda sound were talking about. i know thats a pain in rear but will go a long way in helping these guys help you if at all possible.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 7:58 PM Thread Starter

bought the plates for reed valve removal online, I will see if this works thanks
post #9 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 9:09 PM

let us know if it does or doesnt work for you. its frustrating for me personally when someone either does or doesnt get the problem fixed and doesnt post the solution or follow up with the process. there are probably people who have the same trouble and search the web and come here looking for a solution or at the very least can see what you did that didnt work and hopefully why. so you could really be helping the next guy with your problem.

i was out on a ride today and kinda noticed a sound around 3800 on my 954 that kinda sounded a bit like what your describing. but id say mine sounded more like the license plate rattle on a car with shove(nice subs). it wasnt as much of a metal sound but more of a plastic vibration kinda sound that i usually only hear under moderate acceleration right around those rpm's then it goes away. not sure if it just doesnt make that sound when im under full throttle and just cant hear it then? it honestly doesnt bother me but it sounds like its coming from the front portion of the bike but i couldnt say where. i didnt try and reproduce it while standing still in neutral or with the clutch pulled. ill try n remember to see if it does and maybe see if i can figure out what it is exactly. like i said tho mine sounds more like the plastics rattling on something just as the engine vibrations hit a certain frequency but ill report back, just wondered if what your hearing might be the same thing?

Last edited by 954Kevin; 07-05-2014 at 9:29 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 9:27 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like the same thing, starts right at 3800, I will definitely follow up.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-06-2014, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

I still think you should scrap it though. That sounds like the right thing to do over a noise. I am JK, you have intelligent people on here who will hopefully help you get everything fixed up. I have not had this problem myself but I also have done the pair mod, so no reeds.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-07-2014, 8:36 AM

let me ask you this @msebastianCBR, when doing the pair reed mod do you have to pull the valve cover to get the reeds out? i know the block off plates cover the holes but dont the reeds actually stick up a little so they hafta come out to get the plates on right? just didnt know if they went in thru the top or were mounted from the bottom of the valve cover...
post #13 of 18 Old 07-07-2014, 9:24 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
let me ask you this @msebastianCBR, when doing the pair reed mod do you have to pull the valve cover to get the reeds out? i know the block off plates cover the holes but dont the reeds actually stick up a little so they hafta come out to get the plates on right? just didnt know if they went in thru the top or were mounted from the bottom of the valve cover...

Nope, the reeds are directly under the PAIR port covers, they actually act as the gaskets so removing them will require making new gaskets or using a sealant.
These are mine.
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...tml#post751646

post #14 of 18 Old 07-10-2014, 1:22 PM Thread Starter

Put my block off plates on today, havent started it up yet but found three small hoses T'ed together but attached to nothing any ideas what they are? One of the hoses was mounted on a clip on the right side of the bike frame near the gas tank.
Attached Thumbnails
CAM00185.jpg‎  
post #15 of 18 Old 07-10-2014, 1:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Breather hose. The two ends should be connected to nothing but the one by itself should go to the tank I believe... Not very important but yeah thats where it goes if I'm remembering correctly.

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page