new here! need some help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-22-2014, 8:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

new here! need some help

95 cbr 900rr recently purchased in pieces. Bikes all back together, new harness, rear brakes etc.. had it running for several minutes, idling and revving, no problem, went to take a test run, and as I clicked it to first gear it stalled. When I finally revived it, it ran terrible. Bike sat for a LONG time and its also bored .40 over with bigger cams and valves. I believe previous owner didn't jet it. Could jets be the issue, or should I start by doing a thorough carb cleaning? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-22-2014, 9:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: new here! need some help

well its hard to say for sure from what you tell us exactly what the issue is but if its been sitting a LONG time you can bet even if the carbs were drained while it sat your gonna need to clean them. its about a 400$ job at the dealership but if you have a local shop you can probably get them rebuilt n cleaned for around 300$. you can just get the rebuild kits yourself for like 25$ per carb. but youll wanna get them because there are the small o rings n gaskets n stuff in the kit that id suggest your gonna want to replace if its been sitting a long time. get yourself a manual obviously because the carbs have plenty of small pieces n you gotta take them all the way apart n soak them n use compressed air n whatever you can to get the varnished up fuel outta all the tubes n corners n the like. when you say you clicked it into gear n it died do you mean it died as you tried to release the clutch n give it gas to get moving or it literally just dies as soon as it fell into first? so it runs bad just in neutral at idle and revs poorly or cuts out under throttle? there are guys on here that have a lot more experience than me working on bikes, specially the older blades n they will be able to help you a lot more man. there likely gonna say some of the same kinda stuff just probably with more detail. a good carb cleaning is for sure one a those things you gotta do to a bike thats sat a while. dirty carbs will for sure make it run bad all over. congratulations on getting it to this point tho! sounds like youve got most of the work done getting it running at least n now just gotta iron out the wrinkles. to be expected... welcome to the forum as well! youll find a lot of experienced guys on here n im always amazed at how these guys know how and what is going on with some of these issues people post up before they even finish reading the sentence! theyll probably need some more detailed info before they send you to work on anything but you can get some of the best most willing and encouraging help youll be able to find right here. one other thing tho you pretty much gotta put up some pictures asap of your bike!

btw if its dying as soon as you put it in gear id check out the kickstand switch as a possible culprit..

Last edited by 954Kevin; 06-22-2014 at 9:38 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-23-2014, 1:43 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Ok, so how LONG is a long time for it to sit? And why was it originally in pieces? You can pretty much guarantee that the carbs have some sort of schmeg gumming them up. Especially if we're talking YEARS of sitting.

When you dropped it in first gear did it stall immediately like the ignition was cut? Or did it slowly die while trying to let the clutch out? Also, you said you got it running again, did you ride it or did you just get it to idle again? It's possible that the clutch plates were stuck together, thus stalling the engine. On the other hand it could have been the clutch or side stand switch (which would be similar to the clutch being stuck).

I imagine with the overbore and hot cams/valves that something was done to the carbs. Unless there were some FCR flatslides removed prior to you picking it up. Most guys ditch the stock carbs in favor of the FCR flat slides when building a motor as you describe. And I say most because I kept my stock carbs when I built my 1024cc 93 RR to maintain street driveability.

What other type of parts needed replacing? You mentioned harness and rear brakes, but that's a pretty broad spectrum. If you don't have one already get a manual get one. They are a rebuilders bible IMHO.

If possible get a compression check done. That will give you some idea if the rings and valves are seating good enough for combustion. Could be more than just a carb issue. But when you do clean them, make sure you take every screw out that can come out. All too often carbs aren't broken down enough to clean every minute orifice properly.

Toss up some pics of your bike, too. We love bike pics here. Oh, and

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-24-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

give ian the full sp, he helped me out immensely when i was given a cbr900rrw that had sat for 7 years with out being started.guess what she now runs like a new one

TT. WANNABE
post #5 of 5 Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch10 View Post
give ian the full sp, he helped me out immensely when i was given a cbr900rrw that had sat for 7 years with out being started.guess what she now runs like a new one
You're too kind sir. Thanks.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page