NEED HELP ASAP - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

NEED HELP ASAP

Hi Guys
can any one help with a problem I have please. Honda Fireblade 2000 918 cc
starts but dies few seconds after starting with full choke on, if choke is off bike does not fire at all. all electrics are working fine, pulled the plugs and checked for fouling they where a little black cleaned them all put back in bike run fine, now bike is doing same thing again but after cleaning the plugs and changing the fuel it fires up on full choke but only 2000 rpm then dies after a few seconds, if you try to open the accelerator it dies instantly...

should I swap the plugs for new plugs as I have not changed them since I had it serviced 2 years ago and bike has not been on the road for last 12 months due to loosing job..

Now am back in work i wanna get back out on the road on the bike but just carnt get it to fire properly, could it be fuel pump ? i know the battery is flat and have that charging now and will try later on today if it makes a difference but i suspect it wont make much of a difference.

any help would be appreciated guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 2:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: NEED HELP ASAP

how did you store it for those 12 months, particularly did you drain the float bowls on the carbs or just leave it with fuel? it sounds like youve got gunked up carbs more than a plug issue. did you ever run it at all during those 12 months or did it literally sit the 12 without being started at all? thats probably more than enough time to get them cloggered up in there enough to make it not run right. you know they might not be to bad in there n you might be able to get away with just using some sea foam to clean them while there on the bike. now i wouldnt use this as a substitute for a proper cleaning but the sea foam is less than 20 bucks n its worth a shot. even if it doesnt clear the problem up completely but makes an improvement then you pretty much know where your problem lies. some guys will probably bash the whole concept but ive personally used the product myself and if the carbs arent real dirty but dirty enough to keep it from running right this might help it.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 2:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi mate yes i ran it regularly for 12 months while was in garage didnt take it out for a spin as wasnt insured and no mot and tax and was 3 months ago i noticed it struggled to start and cleaned the plugs new battery and topped the fuel up and it was ok, I think it is the carbs myself but not confidant enough to try and take them out and clean them myself lol

just got it starting now but only idals at 200rpm on full choke and as soon as you touch the throttle it just cuts out.

so i think it is like you say the carbs.

will look into the sea foam and see if i can get it here in the UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 3:12 PM

yeah i dont blame you for not wanting to tackle the carbs. its about a 400+$ job to have them rebuilt n cleaned n put back on the bike with a basic tune. which i guess consists of a sync n the factory settings put on them.
you can get it done at a local shop for like 300$. so its not cheap. its not exactly hard to clean them yourself but the rebuild kits are about 25$ per carb n you gotta consider the cleaner n supplies in there as well. youd for sure need a manual if you dont already have one because there are plenty of small moving parts that people often re-assemble wrong. it just takes some time n attention to detail but i dont blame you for not wanting to get into it. you usually gotta sync the carbs after taking them apart n that tool is another added cost.
anyway the sea foam like i said isnt a replacement for a real cleaning but if they arent real bad it might do the trick. its cheap enough to give it a shot anyway..

SEA FOAM Motor Purge, Diesel Petrol Engine Injector Cleaner & Fuel Stabiliser | eBay
post #5 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 3:54 PM Thread Starter

yes mate thanks, will prob look into the sea foam but would not have a clue how to use on a 99 blade lol as can not drain the fuel bowls according to the manual.

looks a like a trip down the local garage get a price
post #6 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 4:26 PM

well thats for sure your best bet. like i said ive called a ton of dealerships on the carb cleaning for a zx7r i use to have and they all kinda quote you book prices based on the parts and how long it says it takes but most local shop kinda places will charge you by how long it actually takes so it comes out a bit cheaper typically.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 5:54 PM Thread Starter

Hey just notice my fuel tap is leaking so maybe that what causing the problem looks like i have to get on ebay see if can pick one up cheap, and hope it solves the problem
post #8 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 AM

Reputation Power: 9

ALSO CHECK your diaphragm in your fuel tap there not expensive to replace.i striped my carbs to clean and re built them on my dinning room table with swmbo permission of course and synchronized the carbs. with the help of ian doohan and blade runners help... bike now runs like a new blade on craze

TT. WANNABE
post #9 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch10 View Post
ALSO CHECK your diaphragm in your fuel tap there not expensive to replace.i striped my carbs to clean and re built them on my dinning room table with swmbo permission of course and synchronized the carbs. with the help of ian doohan and blade runners help... bike now runs like a new blade on craze
Yes, as Patch suggested the easiest test at this point is to see if you have fuel getting from the tank to the carbs. On the 900RRX (1999) model year there is no fuel pump. There is a vacuum diaphragm that regulates fuel once the engine is running. Make sure the small hose from the number 2 intake port on the head is free of debris and connected to the fuel valve and that the tap is on, or reserve. It definitely seems like a fuel delivery problem. I would be hard pressed to think even only after 12 months the carbs are gummed up to that extent. But it can and does happen. Rebuilding them can be quite a daunting task. But with a manual and a few standard tools it is doable for the home mechanic to get into. Get yourself a manual and dive in. Nothing better than fixing a problem yourself and saving all the money for a cool mod or a set of tires. lol the money charged for carb cleaning is such a scam. If the vacuum hose is intact, pull it off the head and suck into it with the fuel valve on and the main fuel hose removed from the carbs. Get something to catch the fuel that may come out. After sucking on the hose fuel should flow out of the tap. Did it on mine get other day, tap is leaking everywhere. I need to get a new one myself (but not before taking this one apart and seeing what the the issue is-it's not rebuildable-). Good luck, let us know how you fare.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #10 of 12 Old 07-05-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Hi Guys
I got a new fuel tap of eBay fitted it and no more fuel leaking.

But my
Bike still Idles at 1000 rpm on full choke,(use to be 4000 rpm before stored away)
will not fire up at all unless full choke is on. when running on full choke
Cuts out if you press choke in slightly or touch the throttle a gently.

if left running for a couple of minutes on full choke bike does start to smoke a little I think from the breather for the carb as smoke seems to come from under the tank...

I have it booked in the garage as like here I think my jets are blocked and according to the guys at the garage my bike only running on secondary jets and not primary ones so they going to have a look at it on the 18th july as quickest they can do it

Just hope it is my jets blocked and nothing serious as I said before bike ran fine before went in storage and started up and ran fine in storage until a few weeks ago. was in storage for just over 12 months..
post #11 of 12 Old 07-05-2014, 12:28 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad8383 View Post
Hi Guys
I got a new fuel tap of eBay fitted it and no more fuel leaking.

But my
Bike still Idles at 1000 rpm on full choke,(use to be 4000 rpm before stored away)
will not fire up at all unless full choke is on. when running on full choke
Cuts out if you press choke in slightly or touch the throttle a gently.

if left running for a couple of minutes on full choke bike does start to smoke a little I think from the breather for the carb as smoke seems to come from under the tank...

I have it booked in the garage as like here I think my jets are blocked and according to the guys at the garage my bike only running on secondary jets and not primary ones so they going to have a look at it on the 18th july as quickest they can do it

Just hope it is my jets blocked and nothing serious as I said before bike ran fine before went in storage and started up and ran fine in storage until a few weeks ago. was in storage for just over 12 months..
Go get yourself a manual and dive into the carbs yourself. It's not as scary as you might think. Probably won't be the first time you need to be in there, so it's good practice to learn. Probably get it done a lot cheaper and quicker than your garage. But it makes sense, only running on pilot/slow circuit.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #12 of 12 Old 07-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

if you decide to tackle this yourself pick up a sonic jewelry cleaner. fill it with carb cleaner and run it over night with the parts in it. this is how I get all those little nooks and passages clean. saves me a lot of time and it cleans them better than I could with a brush and filament cleaners. I picked it up on flee bay for 50 bucks.

fall down 7 times, get up 8

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page