Need opinion from motor expert - scarring on cyl walls - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-24-2014, 5:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Need opinion from motor expert - scarring on cyl walls

I'm hoping someone with experience can chime in. I have a set of cases from a 929 that I tore down and discovered scarring on the pistons and cylinder wall. One side is worse than the other. At first I figured it was a problem with this motor but upon looking at other cases for sale, I see the same wear on their cases and are advertised as coming off a good motor.

So I'm wondering if this is normal or if this top half is scrap. When I touch the wear with my finger it feels pretty smooth. It doesn't feel rugged like you would imagine from the pics. So if you are a motor builder, would you build on this case?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-24-2014, 6:01 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Need opinion from motor expert - scarring on cyl walls

I'm no expert on the newer (older) blades haha, (Bladeracer will surely know more than I), but I think the pistons are coated, and both of those look totally shot. As far as the bores, they are a coated aluminum cylinder. A type of Nikasil or equivalent. I've heard if you use muriatic acid on the scoring and it bubbles you have metal transfer which is bad in some cases. If you use the acid to clean the bores as best you can then mic it up they may be usable. As I said, await the keen knowledge of a bloke named Bladeracer. He should have more detailed info. Good luck anyhow.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 4 Old 06-24-2014, 7:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Pretty much what my 954 cylinders look like. I took my head off of the engine because it had a slight tick. The engine ran fine just a slight ticking noise. I was told that is pretty normal wear for the 929 and 954 and I believe my tick is from the CCT since there was some slack in the chain. So I am currently finishing up cleaning my heads and putting on a manual CCT and running the engine with the scoring. So in a couple weeks I will be able to chime in more on how things are going.

The cases and pistons are not toast they can be refinished. A company called US Chrome will hone the cylinder to remove the scoring and then re-plate the cylinder. They also clean and re-coat the pistons. Their product is much stronger than the factory platting and you can still run stock bore. They will be doing mine this winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2014, 2:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

The bores are alusil. They are not coated. And the piston skirts have to be coated and special piston rings used whit the alusil bore. All 929/954 cylinders i've seen have that scoring and still they tend to work. When the scores get deep enough usually pistons start to slap. That's what happened whit my 954. I got it bored to 76mm and nicasil coated. If you are going to get it nicasiled and fixed to oem size i would try to find some one who knows can the oem pistons rings that are ment to be used whit the alusil work whit the nicasil plating. The skirts don't need to plated whit nicasil bore so probably machining the skirt will be enough as long as piston to cylinder clearence don't be to high.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page