CBR929RR steering head bearing part numbers - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2014, 9:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR929RR steering head bearing part numbers

I just replaced the steering head bearings on my CBR929RR with OEM Honda ball bearings. Before I did this, I looked all over the 'net to see if anyone had already cross-referenced the Honda part numbers to standard part numbers, so I could just buy the bearings at a local bearing supply shop. No luck, so I had to overpay at the Honda dealer and then wait for them to arrive .

So, I thought I would do it now for posterity. Googlers of the future, you are welcome.

Upper bearing:

Honda p/n 91015-KT8-005
Koyo p/n SAC2647-1

Lower bearing:
Honda p/n 91016-KT8-005
Koyo p/n SAC3055-1

For completeness, the All Balls taper roller bearing kit is 22-1020 if you want to go that way--I chose to stick with the ball bearings due to steering feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-25-2014, 2:26 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: CBR929RR steering head bearing part numbers

Pretty certain most of the blades run the same headstock
Bearings..

When overhauling my CBR900RRR I used taper roller bearings..

Couldn't say I noticed any different feel in the bearings

What do others say???
post #3 of 10 Old 06-25-2014, 3:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, lots of Hondas use the same bearing dimensions...even Gold Wings, but those are tapers from the factory, not balls.

I stayed with the balls based on input from some people I trust regarding sportbike handling. I figure, maybe I would get more life out of tapers but the OEM balls lasted 14 years and 26k miles. If I have to do this job again in 2028 so be it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2014, 4:10 PM

The bearings in my blade were balls as standard. I'm sure they are the same in many of the blades (Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports RonAyers.com). I fitted tapers when I replaced them.

Tapers are seen by many as an upgrade (this was my opinion, but now I am not so sure)... But I'm sure I have seen posts on here from others (who may be more knowledgable) that would just suggest the two bearings are different.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2014, 4:23 PM Thread Starter

I also figured that tapers were an upgrade. I even ordered the All Balls kit, but in the end didn't use it after getting some conflicting info on balls vs. tapers. Maybe it's BS, maybe it's not, but I am happy with how the bike is handling with the replacement OEM bearings.

The specific reasons I heard for staying with balls were:

1. Tapers are difficult to adjust properly--and you can't use factory preload torque values, because these are defined for the balls

2. Tapers have a larger contact area, which adds drag and takes away some steering feel.

On the plus side for tapers, they will last longer than balls if both are maintained the same (due to the larger contact area, the tapers will wear less). But I can stomach doing this job every 14 years...

Last edited by ShastaMcNasty; 06-25-2014 at 4:36 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-25-2014, 5:38 PM

Yup - once every 14 years is just about manageable!
post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblade View Post
The bearings in my blade were balls as standard. I'm sure they are the same in many of the blades (Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports RonAyers.com). I fitted tapers when I replaced them.

Tapers are seen by many as an upgrade (this was my opinion, but now I am not so sure)... But I'm sure I have seen posts on here from others (who may be more knowledgable) that would just suggest the two bearings are different.

Tapers were certainly an upgrade years ago, but improvements in materials, design and manufacturing have made tapers redundant in my opinion. Modern OEM ball steering races are excellent and should easily last the life of the bike.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 10 Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaMcNasty View Post
Yeah, lots of Hondas use the same bearing dimensions...even Gold Wings, but those are tapers from the factory, not balls.

I stayed with the balls based on input from some people I trust regarding sportbike handling. I figure, maybe I would get more life out of tapers but the OEM balls lasted 14 years and 26k miles. If I have to do this job again in 2028 so be it .

Which is exactly why I see no reason not to stick with OEM for these. If you had to replace them every year then certainly, aftermarket might save you some money, although OEM aren't exactly expensive.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 10 Old 06-26-2014, 1:31 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

I too was sucked into the tapered bearing craze back in the 90's. And for all the same reasons described above, I went back to the OEM set up. I had tapers in with my stock triple clamp, but then changed back to OEM when I got my Attack Racing triple clamp. Can't torque properly, fit was a little off, and they seemed twice the weight. I could also tell there was less feedback from the front tire with them. Back to OEM again for project bike.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 10:18 PM

Nice Tip. Thank you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page