2014 SP Slash Cut velocity Stacks - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2014, 8:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2014 SP Slash Cut velocity Stacks

I believe it was the June issue of Sportrider magazine on page 46, that had a photograph of a set of intake bells for the ’14 CBR1000RR SP with angled inlets, along with the older style bells which were squared off with the throttle bores. I have made a number of attempts to obtain a set of the new style parts to upgrade my ’11 with and have struck out. I obtained a fiche for the SP and ordered the bells that were shown, but while they are a new part number, they are the squared off type and have the same overall characteristics of the bells from my ’11 with the exception of having a slightly smaller bore. I called American Honda and I was assured that the parts I had, were in fact the correct one for the SP, the photos I had not withstanding.

If I couldn’t get the parts I wanted, I decided to fabricate my own. Early in my career I was a Toolmaker in the Aerospace industry and had acquired a number of useful skills. I reverse engineered the parts from the photographs. I enlarged the photos to full size and using descriptive geometry and the known dimensions I could take from my original parts, worked out the dimensions and angles I needed to fabricate the angled bells and attach them to a set of the original stacks that I had cut the bells from.

I built a mold for the bells of the long and short stack and fabricated a pair of each from fiberglass. Using a cast I made from the insides of the stock stacks, I located the new angled bells and bonded them to the cut-down stacks I had, blended the parts together and painted them with a gasoline resistant epoxy paint.

I’ve over simplified the process here, but it took about a week to do everything. Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
20140621_083914.jpg‎   20140621_163246.jpg‎   20140623_104131.jpg‎   20140623_123441.jpg‎  

'65 CB77 Vintage Racer
'80 CBX
'02 RC51
'11 CBR1000RR Repsol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2014, 9:03 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 2014 SP Slash Cut velocity Stacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr305 View Post
I believe it was the June issue of Sportrider magazine on page 46, that had a photograph of a set of intake bells for the ’14 CBR1000RR SP with angled inlets, along with the older style bells which were squared off with the throttle bores. I have made a number of attempts to obtain a set of the new style parts to upgrade my ’11 with and have struck out. I obtained a fiche for the SP and ordered the bells that were shown, but while they are a new part number, they are the squared off type and have the same overall characteristics of the bells from my ’11 with the exception of having a slightly smaller bore. I called American Honda and I was assured that the parts I had, were in fact the correct one for the SP, the photos I had not withstanding.

If I couldn’t get the parts I wanted, I decided to fabricate my own. Early in my career I was a Toolmaker in the Aerospace industry and had acquired a number of useful skills. I reverse engineered the parts from the photographs. I enlarged the photos to full size and using descriptive geometry and the known dimensions I could take from my original parts, worked out the dimensions and angles I needed to fabricate the angled bells and attach them to a set of the original stacks that I had cut the bells from.

I built a mold for the bells of the long and short stack and fabricated a pair of each from fiberglass. Using a cast I made from the insides of the stock stacks, I located the new angled bells and bonded them to the cut-down stacks I had, blended the parts together and painted them with a gasoline resistant epoxy paint.

I’ve over simplified the process here, but it took about a week to do everything. Here are some photos.

Seems like a lot of work.
Is there any benefit?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

I haven't been able to ride the bike yet, because I'm in the process of changing over to waterless coolant and I probably won't be able to run it until next week. I doubt that I'll be able to feel any difference and I don't intend to dyno it either though. It was an interesting project that gave me an excuse to exercise some of my skills.

The magazine tests of the '14 SP noted that the power delivery was smoother, compared to the '13 model, so maybe I'll get that benefit.

'65 CB77 Vintage Racer
'80 CBX
'02 RC51
'11 CBR1000RR Repsol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 1:40 PM Thread Starter

Guess what? I was finally able to get a set of the OEM slash cut intake stacks and in comparing them with the ones from my '11 model, the parts I got for the '14 US spec SP model, there are some significant differences. I'm in the process of putting the information together and will post it when I'm finished. It's very interesting.

'65 CB77 Vintage Racer
'80 CBX
'02 RC51
'11 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #5 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

I was finally able to obtain a set of the factory slash-cut intake stacks from a 2014 Honda CBR1000RR SP. Comparing
them to the stacks from the ’08 thru ’13 CBR (17215-MFL-670 & 17225-MFL-670). and the '14 SP US model stacks (numbers (17215-MGP-A90 & 17225-MGP-A90)
was a real eye opener. The part numbers for the slash-cut stacks are 17215-MGP-D60 & 17215-MGP-D60 and I had a devil of a time tracking down
the part numbers and finding someone who would sell them to me. I had finally tracked down a fiche at a dealership in Australia that had the correct part
numbers, but they wouldn’t ship them to me in the US. I tried having a friend in Japan get them there and he struck out as well. I had been given CMSNL
in the Netherlands as a source and the first time I tried them, I didn’t have the part numbers and they didn’t know that the numbers were either. Once I had the numbers,
I went back to the CMSNL site and was able to order them. It took them about three weeks for them to get them but they shipped them out right away.

Here are some pictures of the various part numbers. The first one shows a factory slash-cut, the slash-cut I fabricated and the OEM '08-'14 stack. The next picture
is of my airbox with the factory slash-cuts installed. The next one is looking down the bores of the factory slash-cuts. The last one is looking down the bores of the OEM
'08-13' stacks installed in the airbox. The difference in size is obvious.

Aside from the obvious slash-cut of the factory parts, each set has a different throat diameter. The factory slash-cuts are 49.5mm in diameter, the ’05 US
model stacks are the smallest at 38.5mm and the ’08 thru ’13 stacks are 42mm in diameter. The 08 thru 11 and the ’14 US SP stacks are tapered significantly
from the bell mouth down to the throat, but the factory slash-cuts are almost straight with very little taper. The factory slash-cut bell mouth is not elliptical as would be
expected, but is oval in shape with straight sides. The lower is lip rotated down and out to make the shape. I’d call those significant differences. I wonder what
Honda is up to with the really small diameter for the US parts. The same part number is shown for the SP and the regular US models on the parts fiches at
my local dealer. I’d also be interested in finding out what parts are in the air boxes of the '14 SP models sold here in the states. None of the dealers in my area got
one of them and I haven’t run into anyone with one to ask.

I have the real slash cuts installed and have re-mapped, because of the larger intake diameter. I have a Bazzaz ZFI/AFM so it wasn't too big a chore.The seat of the pants dyno says there was an improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
20140808_112051.jpg‎   20140808_112939.jpg‎   20140808_112623.jpg‎   20140808_112524.jpg‎  

'65 CB77 Vintage Racer
'80 CBX
'02 RC51
'11 CBR1000RR Repsol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page