2014 SP Slash Cut velocity Stacks
I believe it was the June issue of Sportrider magazine on page 46, that had a photograph of a set of intake bells for the ’14 CBR1000RR SP with angled inlets, along with the older style bells which were squared off with the throttle bores. I have made a number of attempts to obtain a set of the new style parts to upgrade my ’11 with and have struck out. I obtained a fiche for the SP and ordered the bells that were shown, but while they are a new part number, they are the squared off type and have the same overall characteristics of the bells from my ’11 with the exception of having a slightly smaller bore. I called American Honda and I was assured that the parts I had, were in fact the correct one for the SP, the photos I had not withstanding.
If I couldn’t get the parts I wanted, I decided to fabricate my own. Early in my career I was a Toolmaker in the Aerospace industry and had acquired a number of useful skills. I reverse engineered the parts from the photographs. I enlarged the photos to full size and using descriptive geometry and the known dimensions I could take from my original parts, worked out the dimensions and angles I needed to fabricate the angled bells and attach them to a set of the original stacks that I had cut the bells from.
I built a mold for the bells of the long and short stack and fabricated a pair of each from fiberglass. Using a cast I made from the insides of the stock stacks, I located the new angled bells and bonded them to the cut-down stacks I had, blended the parts together and painted them with a gasoline resistant epoxy paint.
I’ve over simplified the process here, but it took about a week to do everything. Here are some photos.
'65 CB77 Vintage Racer
'11 CBR1000RR Repsol