98 900rr rectifier issue - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 6:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

98 900rr rectifier issue

Hey guys I just put a new set of carbs I got on my 98 900rr it idles an sounds way better than with the carbs off my 93 blade thanks to having the tps now. But then I noticed some smoke and burning smell and the wires going to the rectifier are hot. There's a green wire that goes into the harness that's melting and 2 of 3 yellow wires going into the alternator the ends are corroded also the tabs in the rectifier itself are corroded. Any idea what's wrong?

P.s also disconnected the tps to see if that was the culprit, then took the rectifier off the 93 blade(the one on the 98 says Taiwan so I figure it's crap), wires are still smoking hot

Thanks as always!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 7:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: 98 900rr rectifier issue

well those wires carry a lot of load and when they get corrosion on them they cant let the current thru without getting hot due to the resistance the corrosion causes. looks like your missing the plastic connector those three yellow wires should be going to that plugs into the r/r. might have had a previous melt down n been repaired. are those clips under the black tape soldered on? because if not they should be. when they arent it lets the corrosion build up much faster n causes the wire to get hot.

that r/r might be cooked by the looks of it. even if its not its going to be kinda hard to get it clean on those connecting points. your going to hafta cut the wire back and replace those ends at the least.

here is the connector youll need to plug into the r/r

Regulator Rectifier Male Connector Plug for Honda CBR600 CBR900RR CBR900 VFR750 | eBay

youll need to do some tests on your r/r and probably the stator as well. this is a flow chart that tells you exactly how to test those things and the rest of your charging system. youll need to get those wires replaced n looking like new before you do anything tho man. this site that the chart is from has awesome charging system parts if you need them.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

p.s. make sure you solder the connections when you put them in. black tape wont cut it in this instance. the wires are just big enough to carry the load so any resistance like melted in black tape or corrosion will get you right back to where you started. might want to look at upgraded r/r as well. that oem one is known to fail because it just doesnt get rid of the heat as well as it should. they make some good beefed up ones you can find on ebay or that site mentioned.

Last edited by 954Kevin; 06-27-2014 at 7:36 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Alright thanks man I just checked I have a connector on a spare wiring harness I have I'll have to cut it and do some soldering and hopefully I'll be good to go the rectifier I took off the parts bike looks pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

might want to check the condition of the wires on the starter solenoid as well. the red clip in on it could have some problems with the wires as well

New Starter Relay Solenoid Plug for Honda 900 CBR900RR 1993 1999 | eBay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page