Any track day shortcomings of the CBR929RR? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 06-28-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

Any track day shortcomings of the CBR929RR?

I'm getting stationed right next to willow springs raceway in a few months and can't wait to get my CBR929RR on the track. As it has been in storage a couple years I am going to get it freshened up with new brakes, tires, non glycol coolant and such but was wondering if there is anything else I should address before taking it to the track. I intend to start at a level 1 group and do a new riders class at the track. I have been riding for 11 years but its never to late to learn some more skills.

in regards to the bike is there anything I should look at servicing or replacing or should the bike be just fine on the circuit. I have heard for years that the 929 is subject to head shake but I have never experienced it in the canyons. I am not looking for an excuse to buy parts (read 4 kids) unless they will have a valid impact on the potential or manageability of the bike.

Currently the bike has a -1 front sprocket, 2brothers slip on, and PC3. other than that its bone stock in pristine shape with 14k miles on the clock. Have never had to spend a cent on repairs for this bike and it has been rock solid and amazing.

Last edited by mprhead5; 06-28-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-28-2014, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Any track day shortcomings of the CBR929RR?

well its really just how much you want to spend on it at the track and how hard you plan on riding it there i guess. i get the head shakes on my 954 frequently when im riding it hard enough n dont have a damper. dampers are great but it kinda takes away from a certain aspect of feed back from the front i kinda like. im sure it wouldnt hurt tho and they are most useful when really pushing the bike of course. if it were me is spend my money first on some good tires and second on suspension. you dont need to go crazy but youd really notice a nice shock on the rear and a good set-up up front. some nice race brake pads would probably be nice but arent really suitable for the street. they need to be brought up to temp to work correctly but until you get into a more intermediate or advanced class that would probably be overkill. a nice cheap little mod is some tank foam. it takes the slosh outta the tank and makes it feel lighter in the handling. doesnt really take away from tank capacity much. you might wanna throw like a +2 rear sprocket for some more umfph. i think you can still use the stock chain at -1 +2 but im not 100% on that. itd give you more usable power where youd need it most for the tracks in general. you might consider getting a set of rashed plastics if you can find them because youll be bummed out if you trash your nice oem plastics. id consider getting some clip ons because they are a lot cheaper to replace the tubes for than buying oem. just some stuff to think about. its a pretty expensive hobby but all racing is and i guess its relatively cheap and worth every cent im sure
post #3 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 3:16 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
I'm getting stationed right next to willow springs raceway in a few months and can't wait to get my CBR929RR on the track. As it has been in storage a couple years I am going to get it freshened up with new brakes, tires, non glycol coolant and such but was wondering if there is anything else I should address before taking it to the track. I intend to start at a level 1 group and do a new riders class at the track. I have been riding for 11 years but its never to late to learn some more skills.

in regards to the bike is there anything I should look at servicing or replacing or should the bike be just fine on the circuit. I have heard for years that the 929 is subject to head shake but I have never experienced it in the canyons. I am not looking for an excuse to buy parts (read 4 kids) unless they will have a valid impact on the potential or manageability of the bike.

Currently the bike has a -1 front sprocket, 2brothers slip on, and PC3. other than that its bone stock in pristine shape with 14k miles on the clock. Have never had to spend a cent on repairs for this bike and it has been rock solid and amazing.

Clean the pistons before you install new pads.
Fresh brake fluid is a must.
Be sure to check for brake drag after fitting new pads - preferably after you get the brakes good and hot.
Since the bike has been sitting check the fuel pressure regulator, or just replace it now for peace of mind.
The 929 is just fine on a track. Head shake is not a problem except when it is a symptom of problems elsewhere. Let her shake her head now and then, it's like a dog shaking its tail, just means she's having fun :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 06-29-2014, 5:38 AM Thread Starter

After I have done a few track days I may look into having the shock rebuilt. That seems to be an affordable and substantial upgrade. It should be a few times before I am in any danger of losing the bike since It will take a while for my speeds to get up high enough and I have fairly good riding habits and don't ever ride faster than I can think.

I understand the costs of going to the track but at my level the costs don't get too astronomical. I should be able to do my first few track days on street tires just fine before I will be fast enough to warrant the extra cost of putting track tires on. After I get the Bike freshened up the costs should be low until I start noticing the little things I want to improve.

I had not thought about race plastics for it but I do have frame sliders. I may look into that but I have to get all new gear and freshen the bike up first. I've never laid a bike down at any sort of speed in 11 years of riding because I am cautious but you never know at the track.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 2:30 AM Thread Starter

recommendation for brake pads?

how would I know if I needed a new FPR?
post #6 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 3:18 AM

Reputation Power: 16

I am currently using a 929 as a race bike. This is my first year racing so I figured I would use the bike I have sitting in the garage. The day we got our race license was my first ever track day. I am running mid to front of pack. The bike works great. Has power, handles well, is a Honda (reliable), most parts are readily available if you wreck or hurt anything. The bike only has one downfall....the rider! I started on street tires and realized very quickly I had taken a knife to a gun fight. Everyone else in my class was on race tires and I finished my first race dead last. Of course the tires were 4 year old Full Bore brand tires and sucked. I was in a bind before the next race and put on the new Dunlop Q3 tires. I got them cheap ($200) and did not have time to get real race tires installed. I had a 4 hour endurance race and wanted a tire that would last as well. I did good in the endurance race and cut about 6 seconds off my previous weekend lap times. The tires worked great for about 30-45 mins and then would overheat a bit and get greasy. I was fueling every hour so It gave them some time to cool down. My pit stops were long 9, 15, and 15 mins. That is another thing, if you buy a cheap ebay gas cap it will leak and you need to change the o ring they include to a Viton one as the one they send swells and you have to let it shrink before you can put the lid on. The next race weekend I got full race Michelin Cup DOT tires. They are amazing! I needed to learn a couple of other tracks on our circuit so I did trackdays the next two weekends. I decided to save the Power Cups and swapped to the 4 hour endurance used Q3s. They held up well the first track day but got real loose real fast the second so I called the day early. I am sure the endurance race heat cycling cooked just about all they had, so to get another day and a half track days was good. You should be able to get by with street tires for awhile.
Do as Blade said, replace the brake fluid, and since your bike has been sitting just go ahead and replace all fluids. Fuel, oil, and brake. Change out the antifreeze to water/ water wetter. Make sure while you have the engine oil drain bolt out you drill for safety wire. Not sure what your track requires but look into the rules and see what else will need wired. Our race club requires that you have a steering damper so that may or may not be required. I love mine and know that it has saved me skin. I use a GPR. An old one. You also asked about the fuel pressure regulator. If it is bad, and it probably is being it is sitting, you may have a crankcase full of fuel or you may have very rich cylinders. Just plan on a new one. Cheap and easy to install.
I have mine set up for GP shift using a VFR lever. I got the cheap reasets off ebay as I figured I will be sending it down the road and would cry if I tore up a $450 set of rear sets. The are ok but the sifter was not usable or will need modified to be used. I did move mine all the way up and back and am still removing the toe from my boots, the slider is already worn through and on backorder. I guess you will not get to far over with stock rear sets.
I have mine geared 15:45 (-1 +2) and would like to drop the front one more to a 14. I am not even getting into 6th gear on our longest straight (little less than half mile) Other bikes are passing me due to this.
I am running the EBC Extreme pads up front and regular EBC HH pads out back. The rear brake is barely if ever used but I helped to brake less by enlarging the stock rotor cooling holes. The front pads are great, better than my confidence, but do take some time to get up to temp, normally our warm up lap is enough. I have stainless lines front and rear and feel they are required, at least front.
Get race fairings. You will be crashing and they take some abuse. Also you may be required to have a belly/catch lower to hold fluids. They weigh much less and will eliminate your headlight.
I have full Ohlins on mine but you can respring the stockers to save some cash. The bike seems to handle well. I have had it for about 9 years and done a lot of stupid stuff with it so maybe I just know it very well but I love it! Get out and ride the piss out of it and have fun!

2001 Erion 929 Race Bike
1998 Ducati 748
2002 CR125/CR500 Aluminum Conversion
1994 CR500 Completely Built
2000CR250/CR500 Conversion In Process
1950 Indian Warrior 500cc Vertical Twin
1995 Mustang Cobra Turbo Built 820rwhp/879ftlbs
post #7 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 3:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great replies. I'm not going to be racing the bike just track days. hope to do more than 6 a year if possible. SS brake lines are a possibility. I was thinking about bridgestone S20's since I will be putting miles on the bike going to and from work for starters unless I get another bike for street and make the 929 a track bike but i have a 18 year old in the house I got to get rid of first but I have been trying to leverage me recent promotion to E6 into a 2008 Repsol fireblade but it will probably be a few years. also my bike was dyno tunes at near sea level but will be moving to an altitude of about 2400 feet. Should I spend the cash for a new tune?

So here is the list to do before the first track day

New Fluids oil,coolant,brake
New tires ( options welcomed ) need to commute 100 miles a week and track
SS brake lines
FPR replacment
brake pads

after a few track days
race fairings
rearsets?
gopro
???? what else?
post #8 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 8:21 AM Thread Starter

a couple pics of the bike since I'm so proud of it
Attached Thumbnails
102_0929.JPG‎   102_0931.JPG‎  
post #9 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 9:42 AM

im pretty sure a twin turbo and a 60 shot of nos is pretty standard equipment for casual track days?

but seriously nice looking bike man. that vfr gp shift is a cool one to add and is like 35$ for the parts.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 8:44 PM

Reputation Power: 16

I turbo'd my bike and think it would have been great fun on the track. unfortunately rules in my racing club do not allow it.

2001 Erion 929 Race Bike
1998 Ducati 748
2002 CR125/CR500 Aluminum Conversion
1994 CR500 Completely Built
2000CR250/CR500 Conversion In Process
1950 Indian Warrior 500cc Vertical Twin
1995 Mustang Cobra Turbo Built 820rwhp/879ftlbs
post #11 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 9:04 PM

how much did that turbo cost to add i wonder?
post #12 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 9:04 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfrilly3 View Post
I turbo'd my bike and think it would have been great fun on the track. unfortunately rules in my racing club do not allow it.

We're allowed to race in Historic classes on factory-turbo bikes.
But the only one that is viable is the GPZ750, which is barely faster than the non-turbo, and both are 1500mm wheelbase and 220kg dry.
I really wanted to race a turbo just for the novelty value, but I just couldn't see it being possible to make the GPZ viable. You could probably get away with putting a modern turbo on it which would make a significant difference, but it wouldn't be legal.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #13 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 9:46 PM Thread Starter

what tire should I look at replacing my BT016's with for daily driving and my first couple track days? Can't bee too race oriented because I need to put some miles on but as long as the capability is there for my first track events that fine. Q3's looked like they might wear too quick. my BT-16's are in good shape but have been sitting on the bike for 4.5 years and I thought they might not perform after sitting that long.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 9:57 PM

yeah man tires do not take age real well. they get hard n thats no good. i hear a lot a good stuff about the s20's but i doubt they last much longer than the q3's if at all. pilot powers are a pretty kick ass tire a little longer lasting and road pilots are even longer lasting but probably arent the best track day tire.
post #15 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 10:11 PM

Reputation Power: 7

I like Michelin Pilot Power 3's. I run them on the street and also on the track with good results both places.

2000 CBR929RR
2002 CBR954RR
2003 CBR954RR
2003 CR250
2006 VTX 1300C/N
2007 VTX 1800F
2012 CRF50 (stunt)
2013 DRZ400sm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page