900 RR-T odd vibe in top - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-02-2014, 6:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

900 RR-T odd vibe in top

Hi all.
Been riding the legs off the Frankenbike during this surprisingly good summer.
Started to notice that around 90 mph in TOP gear there is quite a harsh vibration. If I drop to 5th, the vibe disappears. New DID chain, new sprockets (my first conclusion) have not made any difference. I've ruled out the output shaft bearing as the vibe goes away in 5th. Creamy smooth everywhere else, roughness diminishes when entering go to jail speeds.
Anyone else had / noticed this and any ideas?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2014, 4:15 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Re: 900 RR-T odd vibe in top

Finally, FINALLY, got to the bottom of this one.

Runs sweet as a nut up to 88mph, then a roughness starts that becomes more annoying with speed. Not the harsh vibes of a loose engine mount or the tingles from an unbalanced engine, more a roughness felt mainly through the pegs but through the frame as well.
Finally had some time to sort out my own bike.
Chain and sprockets replaced.
Wheel bearings replaced.
Thought that would do it... Nope.
I then checked the chain for clearance on the swinging arm, that was fine.

First clue. I was going to fit a 17 tooth front sprocket to ease cruising speed revs, but it already had one fitted.
Second clue. I generally fit a 530 pitch chain for longevity, these are slightly more beefy that the 520 / 525 types usually fitted.
The combination of these two factors was the cause of my problem.
Any thoughts? Answer below.

Closely inspecting the chain after a run, I noticed a clean area in the chain oil, right in the middle of the pins. This was on the outside of the chain run. The answer then fell into place.
There is a 'chain-guard' semi circle of metal just behind the plastic sprocket cover. This is a very close fit with the 17t sprocket, closer than on a standard 16t sprocket, not helped by the fatter 530 chain.
I am surmising that, as speed rose, the chain would fling a little from the sprocket. At 88mph the chain was then was lifting sufficiently to start interfering with this chain guard, each pin rattling against it to give me the rough vibes.
Removing the metal semi circle has completely cured this annoyance, just have to keep a close eye on chain wear as there is now only the plastic sprocket cover as protection if there is a snappage situation.

Cheers.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-23-2014, 4:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: 900 RR-T odd vibe in top

Nice bit of problem-solving there!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page