re-torquing 954 head bolts? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2014, 6:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

re-torquing 954 head bolts?

Is it necessary to retorque 954 head bolts and can it be done whitout removing cams. The head gasket is Wisecos double spring steel gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Re: re-torquing 954 head bolts?

I don't see why it would be, but I think I heard you re-torque them after 100 miles or so. That could have been another forum for something else though. I just rebuilt my top end on my car and my atv, and I am now doing the same on my 954.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-07-2014, 4:46 PM Thread Starter

I was told that it is not necassery whit the steel head gasket but a second opinnion on this subject won't hurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-2014, 9:45 PM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika_u View Post
I was told that it is not necassery whit the steel head gasket but a second opinnion on this subject won't hurt

Torque then down, then back them all off, then torque them down a final time. They should be fine after that. Run a bottoming tap down to clean the threads first, then blow any debris out of the holes. Lube the threads and heads but don't overboard, you don't want to hydraulically lock the bolts due to oil in the blind holes.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 7 Old 07-08-2014, 7:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Torque then down, then back them all off, then torque them down a final time. They should be fine after that. Run a bottoming tap down to clean the threads first, then blow any debris out of the holes. Lube the threads and heads but don't overboard, you don't want to hydraulically lock the bolts due to oil in the blind holes.
The threads and bolts were througly cleaned and oiled. Head and block surface was machined and the gasket is Wiseco (Cometic) MLS which shouldn't need retorquing. The motor has about 300 miles on after the rebuild and a been pretty easy whit the revs and throttle and it isn't leaking at the moment. But i have a dyno session friday were it will be revved to 13250 whit full throttle and i'm just concerned will the head gasket hold up or should try to do something to it?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika_u View Post
The threads and bolts were througly cleaned and oiled. Head and block surface was machined and the gasket is Wiseco (Cometic) MLS which shouldn't need retorquing. The motor has about 300 miles on after the rebuild and a been pretty easy whit the revs and throttle and it isn't leaking at the moment. But i have a dyno session friday were it will be revved to 13250 whit full throttle and i'm just concerned will the head gasket hold up or should try to do something to it?

If you're concerned about it then re-torque them, better to spend an hour doing that than having the gasket let go on the dyno.
But I can't see it being a problem if it was installed properly.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 3:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
If you're concerned about it then re-torque them, better to spend an hour doing that than having the gasket let go on the dyno.
But I can't see it being a problem if it was installed properly.
I installed the MLS head gasket dry and 100% clean on just machined and througly cleaned surfaces like the instructions on the headgasket package says. The torquing and moments were done according to Hondas own manual. I think i'll stop worrying about it and retorque the head bolts if it starts to show any marks off leakage. Don't wan't to do any unnecassery things right now and wouldn't really wan't to the take cams off. Aren't the head bolts under the cams?
I really don't remember how the head looks whit the valve cover off at the moment????

Thanks, Bladeracer!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page