929 /954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 3:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 /954

hi guys can anyone tell me if a 929 gearbox will fit in a 954 only I have a friend with a 954 with gearbox problems and I can get him a 929 gearbox
any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 4:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: 929 /954

Maybe someone else can speak more intelligently on this subject; but from what I remember the only gear that is the same between the 929 / 954 is 6th. As far as swapping the entire gear set from a 929 to a 954, I'm unsure.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 6:24 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Re: 929 /954

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski View Post
hi guys can anyone tell me if a 929 gearbox will fit in a 954 only I have a friend with a 954 with gearbox problems and I can get him a 929 gearbox
any ideas
I'll try to look for the post... but I believe bladeracer said they're interchangeable COMPLETE, but internal pieces are NOT individually.

FWIW, here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamato View Post
It appears the dogs on second gear are wearing out (43k miles), as anything over 5k rpms it drops out of gear into neutral. On my quest for replacement transmissions I'm coming up empty for 954's, but have found a few 929 transmissions. From what I've read, they "appear" to be interchangeable. Are they (including shift forks and drum, etc)? And if so, is the gearing all the same?

It would be less expensive to just replace the worn gear, but I feel like having a transmission with 11-20k miles may be better than a trans with 43k with a new second gear. Am I wrong for feeling that way? I'd still have to factor in the cost of taking it to a shop to have them press on/off the gears for me.

Will most likely send it out for undercutting while its out. Not sure on the cost of that just yet though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Gearing is the same.
The transmission wears very little in normal use. Second tends to wear more because it is used more and the gap from first to second is the widest in the box, but proper shifting won't cause any significant wear.
The transmission is interchangeable complete, not individual pieces.
Once you inspect your transmission you can determine if anything else is worn, but I would recommend just replacing the damaged components with new ones.
You don't need to press anything on.
You don't need undercutting, just learn to change gears more cleanly.
APE website lists pricing for undercutting.

Last edited by unslow1; 07-08-2014 at 6:29 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page