how (un)safe are these tires - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

how (un)safe are these tires

just wondering in what kind of state my tires are? how bad are they, do they need replacing. cannot make much sense of thread wear indicators. are they unsafe or is there thread left (only ride in dry weather, not in the rain). see below for the pictures. btw, the mark you see on one of the rear tire picture is not the canvas showing but is dirt (some fabric stuck to the tire)

Rear is a dunlop d207
front is a michelin pilot sport

Tire Photos by dennisv9 | Photobucket

Last edited by dennisv9; 07-12-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Re: how (un)safe are these tires

back tire appears to be a little (over)due, but the front looks good for a little bit.

my $.02... take this opportunity to replace BOTH and maybe take advantage of a sale on FRONT & REAR... perhaps the next rainy day get'm done
post #3 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

i was hoping to make due with the set for the coming 2 months (summer season). for me it is a good weather bike, so at best 800 km is the most that i will ride this year. after september it will go into winterstorage (want to replace tires then for next year's motorcycle season).

not sure how safe it is to continu riding for now, hence my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 3:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

well ill say ive seen friends of mine ride tires that make that one look exceedingly safe! lol but thats not a good thing. you could probably finish out the season on them if you dont plan on riding a lot but its for sure time to replace that rear. and like unslow1 said i replace them in pairs even when there is life left on the front. id be looking for a good deal on a set if i were you. that back has a few miles left on it if you dont push it real hard n i dont think id hit any wet roads with it but like i said, ive see worse.
post #5 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 3:36 PM

Reputation Power: 26

What they said!!

I've ridden on cords twice now (because I'm cheap and made dumb choices..) so I would say you would be "ok" for a little bit but definitely at least start your shopping.

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
post #6 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 3:42 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Rear is at or below wear indicator for the center of the tire. What that means is you have the potential to pick up a nail easier, and that part of the tire may slide more in the wet. It also means the sticky good rubber is now pretty much gone there and you will be into the carcass soon. Still, really only an issue in the wet, going straight, or for a road hazard. Judgment call

Front looks to be just above wear indicator. Still good all around for a few more miles IMHO.

How many more miles do you plan on riding this year? Daily commuter? I would be more apt to change the rear, but I know the hardship of trying to get the most out of equipment, and change things at the same time.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #7 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 4:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

To what Ian said. I've pushed rear tires further in the interest of saving $ when I was younger but I don't anymore. 800Km, you will be fine with the front. If you just commuting and its only dry like you said you'll probably be fine. I wouldn't ride it hard and stop when you see secondary rubber. FYI, I got caught in an unexpected thunderstorm on the Fwy with a rear about like yours and I can tell you it was not at all fun. Changing lanes I could feel the slip as I crossed the paint and I went down the windy off ramp sideways. Again, judgement call. If you want to err on the side of caution change the rear and save the front for the beginning of next season.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #8 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 4:33 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Rear iWhat that means is you have the potential to pick up a nail easier
Quite the opposite actually, less chance of picking up a nail/screw on slicks, as it's the grooves that pick them up on new tyres easily.

However D207 is an utter **** tyre, get rid.
post #9 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 5:03 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Quite the opposite actually, less chance of picking up a nail/screw on slicks, as it's the grooves that pick them up on new tyres easily.

However D207 is an utter **** tyre, get rid.
I see what you're saying there. My point was more of less thickness=easy puncture. And I just got rid of a set of D207's that were 12 years old in like new condition on my project bike. Not very confidence inspiring.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #10 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 6:09 PM Thread Starter

not a daily commuter at all (with this bike). if the weather permits, at best i will ride it for a couple of weeks this season. not in the rain, unless i get caught during a trip.

however i am new to this type of bike, got only 80 km experience up till now (1 drive home from the seller). so you guys make me a little nervous about riding with the rear tire...

the replacement will be pirelli's (diablo front, strada or angel gt/st back).
post #11 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 6:23 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

I really think you'll like the Angels... Stradas are now obsolete. IF you come across some for sale, DON'T BUY THEM... they'll be old.
post #12 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 6:37 PM

Angels ain't all that either, PR3's or Avon Storm 2's are where it's at.
post #13 of 46 Old 07-12-2014, 10:22 PM

As everyone else said, the rear should be changed, front looks healthy enough.

I've been riding on Shinko tires for the past year. Good grip and good wear. Overall I think they are pretty decent street tires. I've been running their APEX line. I pay around $250 for a set for my '06 Blade.

"Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
post #14 of 46 Old 07-13-2014, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrye83 View Post
As everyone else said, the rear should be changed, front looks healthy enough.

I've been riding on Shinko tires for the past year. Good grip and good wear. Overall I think they are pretty decent street tires. I've been running their APEX line. I pay around $250 for a set for my '06 Blade.
This is a joke, yeah? Shinko tyres are made from Chinese soot, if you are skint, just pick up some decent part worns, don't buy crap like this.
post #15 of 46 Old 07-13-2014, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
This is a joke, yeah? Shinko tyres are made from Chinese soot, if you are skint, just pick up some decent part worns, don't buy crap like this.
No joke, I like the tires and have been using them for several years now and have rode several different styles of bikes that were wearing them. I never claimed they were racing tires. I said "decent street tires". I take it most people will not be running 140mph around corners on open roads. If you do I suspect the "chinese soot" tires will be the least of your concerns.

Also, my research says that they are a South Korean company that manufactures the tires in South Korea and purchased the tire tech from Yokohama. If you are referring to the raw materials coming from China....well, there's a very good chance whatever tire you are running has the raw materials coming from there as well, and probably from the same supplier. There ain't much in this world that doesn't get the raw material from there.

Would I prefer to run Michelin, sure, but I'm in the Philippines and shipping the tires here is an extra $100-$200/tire (and then you're luck if it makes it past the sticky fingers of the Philippine Post Office). I've tried the Bridgestone Battlax and a Dunlop tire as they can be found from time to time. Those two look like they have been thrown through a meat grinder after about 2500km on Philippine roads. I take what I can get here and the best I have got were the Shinkos. I haven't see too many bad reviews online for them either. Most agree with my statement of being a decent street tire....not a great one, a decent one.

"Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page