93 brakes ok ? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-29-2014
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
93 brakes ok ?

First post so hope this is the right forum.
Bought a 1993 Blade a few weeks ago. Overall condition ok . Strong motor just needs a bit of cosmetic detailing. 50,000 ks ( whatever that is in miles?, Im from down under ). Love it.
Question tho is I think the brakes may need a going over as they just seem a bit "wooden". No real feel or bite and not very confidence inspiring. Is , was this an issue with the bikes when they first came out or is it more a case as I mention of giving them an overhaul?.
Any thoughts would be welcome .
Thanks , Garth.
Garth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 AM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,047
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: 93 brakes ok ?

Can you give us an overall description of your set up? Stock lines? Stock pads? Lots of build of of gunk in and around the calipers and caliper pistons? Not usually an issue with these bikes. The brakes should definitely instill confidence, if they are in good working order. After a good bleed with braided steel lines (if your lines are stock I would toss them just because they are 23 years old), a fresh set of pads and a good cleaning of the caliper pistons you should notice a substantial difference. That being if the calipers don't need rebuilding. Which is possible as well. What is the condition of the fluid in the reservoir?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: 93 brakes ok ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
First post so hope this is the right forum.
Bought a 1993 Blade a few weeks ago. Overall condition ok . Strong motor just needs a bit of cosmetic detailing. 50,000 ks ( whatever that is in miles?, Im from down under ). Love it.
Question tho is I think the brakes may need a going over as they just seem a bit "wooden". No real feel or bite and not very confidence inspiring. Is , was this an issue with the bikes when they first came out or is it more a case as I mention of giving them an overhaul?.
Any thoughts would be welcome .
Thanks , Garth.

Start with fresh fluid.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-29-2014
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 93 brakes ok ?

Thanks Ian
I think looking at the brakes and lines they are all original , one of the front ones may even be weeping a bit of fluid as there is a black film on the disk its self which would mean the pads are shot.
Will take some time and pull it all apart and do as you sugest and replace the lines , pads and give it all a good clean and service. Will replace brake fluid as well.
The disc themselves may be a bit worn. Would you normaly have them machined or just replace them seeing as there seems to be many aftermarket sets on e bay etc.
You also mentioned braided lines , better to go for that than standard?.

Thanks again
Garth
Garth is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: 93 brakes ok ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Thanks Ian
I think looking at the brakes and lines they are all original , one of the front ones may even be weeping a bit of fluid as there is a black film on the disk its self which would mean the pads are shot.
Will take some time and pull it all apart and do as you sugest and replace the lines , pads and give it all a good clean and service. Will replace brake fluid as well.
The disc themselves may be a bit worn. Would you normaly have them machined or just replace them seeing as there seems to be many aftermarket sets on e bay etc.
You also mentioned braided lines , better to go for that than standard?.

Thanks again
Garth
You sure it's not fork oil on the disc?
Generally no, we don't machine bike discs as they're already extremely thin. Any thinner and they don't soak enough heat so you're always boiling and replacing the fluid.
Braided hoses every time.
Perth Brake Parts will sell you the stuff to make them yourself as long as you tell them it's for a race bike, or you can buy the components online.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,047
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: 93 brakes ok ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
You sure it's not fork oil on the disc?
Generally no, we don't machine bike discs as they're already extremely thin. Any thinner and they don't soak enough heat so you're always boiling and replacing the fluid.
Braided hoses every time.
Perth Brake Parts will sell you the stuff to make them yourself as long as you tell them it's for a race bike, or you can buy the components online.
^^^^^. Yes, what Blade said.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 7:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-29-2014
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: 93 brakes ok ?

Thanks guys for the info.
Will get to and get it all sorted
Garth
Garth is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRAKES ???? ajboulet Honda Naked Sportbikes 1 10-02-2010 11:03 PM
brakes on my 900 95erion Honda FireBlade 1 05-25-2010 6:20 PM
929 brakes vs 954 brakes emazens Honda FireBlade 2 11-28-2006 7:21 PM
Got brakes? evl_twn General Discussion 2 01-26-2005 6:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome