smoke coming from my CBR 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 7:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

smoke coming from my CBR 954

a few days ago i had a leaking radiator. i repaired it and when i installed it back and started up the bike to de-air the system. after 2 seconds quite some white smoke was comming from the left side. i switched off the engine, waited a bit and when i switched it on the smoke came back, only this time it was less and it was after maybe 6-7 seconds after start up. i thought that the electrical fan connection might have been wet so i dried it and waited a day to make sure everything was dry.
today i started the bike and again some smoke appeared, but it took even longer to appear, maybe 10-15 seconds. it looked like it was coming from under the bike. then i switched it off and later on again and now its only a very thin amount of smoke, but also only after 30 seconds and its not building up if the motor keeps on running. and its not constantly smoking.
i dont know what it can be, since i only repaired the radiator. could it be the coolant fluid that came on the pipes when it was leaking and is now evaporating? especially when the most smoke was visible after i just refilled the radiator and spilled some coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: smoke coming from my CBR 954

Chances are it's just coolant on your headers. just leave the bike running to have all the coolant burn away. it may seem like forever for the smoke to stop but it will. If you notice more smoke instead of less after idling for a while, you may have a leak. Just double check your work and make sure all holes are connected properly. If you have mint headers and you're like others who want their pipes to remain mint, clean the headers with something like Windex or similar cleaning agent before running the bike to burn the moisture off. This will keep you pipes from staining if it's not already pass that level.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 2:01 PM Thread Starter

yeah, it seems to be just coolant evaporating from the pipes. i let the bike run on idle and didn't notice any new smoke.
thanks for the tip about the pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 8:30 PM

If the source of the smoke is anti-freeze on the headers, it will smell sweet. If it is oil based smoke, it will smell wretched, like you are following a clapped out AMC Gremlin through town...
post #5 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 9:02 PM

Yea definably sounds like coolant on the headers I agree

2000 Honda CBR929RR
(My 929RR Build)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page