My 954RR Build Thread - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 519 Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

My 954RR Build Thread

I have been around these forums for awhile before I became a member. I purchased a 2002 954RR last year that was not running at the time. The bike was in a very poor state, mostly appearance wise but some mechanical wise. The head was off of the bike and the owner said it had a ticking noise. I watched a video of the bike running with the ticking noise and showing the mileage before I purchased it. The owner was going to take the engine apart but decided not to do so which is why the head was off. I think the CCT is the reason for the ticking problem.

The bike has 10,121 miles on it and seems to have been severely abused over the last 11 years. I purchased the bike for $1,700 knowing that it ran and what the bike could be worth. The 954 has always been a dream bike for me and I really just could not leave the bike behind in the condition it was in.

So I completely disassembled the bike and started working on the bike since day one. Here we are a year later and I am starting to finish up the bike and get it reassembled. The engine has not been touched other than cleaning up the head, re lapping in the valves (in their original location), new valve seals, re surfacing the head, new O-rings and seals for the entire engine, pair mod with driven plates, flapper mod with htev delete plug (made by me with the help of this forum), and a manual tensioner.

I have purchased $1,200 in OEM Honda parts due to missing parts or just getting parts that needed refurbished. I am replacing just about every nut and bolt on the bike with new OEM Honda parts because the PO had either lost or misplaced bolts and nuts and replaced them with whatever he could find. This could not be safe for too long.

So this is the backstory of the bike and I could go on and on about the condition of the bike when I bought it but this has already went on and on. So now I will start posting up some pictures because that is what you really want. So here we go and I will tell some horror stories along the way.

Last edited by msebastianCBR; 07-23-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 519 Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Re: My 954RR Build Thread

This is the bike when I first purchased it before I loaded it up to go home. Looks can be deceiving.

I don't really have any tear down pictures. The frame was faded and had hindle stickers on both sides and were not to my taste. So I stripped it and painted it with Rustoleum bed liner. It will be powder coated for phase 2 of this re build. The frame is darker than the pictures show.

Frame and subframe reunited after a year apart. Subframe also done with bed liner. This will show the color better.

Lower mount also done in bed liner. Will be powder coated during phase 2.

Swingarm also painted with bed liner. Will also be powder coated during phase 2.

And my new Brembo brakes that costed me a pretty penny. LOL

I have more work done but I need to upload those pictures so this is it for now. The engine will be back in the frame by the end of next week as well as a rolling and possibly running bike. I dropped a box full of parts off to the powder coater yesterday and I will get them back next week also. Plus I am getting ready to make a large aftermarket purchase mostly parts for appearance.
post #3 of 519 Old 07-23-2014, 1:45 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 100

Garage

YES!!!!!! Been waiting for this one Sebastian. So far so good. Are the calipers just painted? They look good in the black. Keep it coming. And trust me, it gets crazy while you're working to snap good pictures and keep momentum up. Looking forward to more!!!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 519 Old 07-23-2014, 2:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
YES!!!!!! Been waiting for this one Sebastian. So far so good. Are the calipers just painted? They look good in the black. Keep it coming. And trust me, it gets crazy while you're working to snap good pictures and keep momentum up. Looking forward to more!!!
Stock calipers painted in duplicolor low gloss black high heat paint. New bolts and a Brembo decal to complete the illusion (something I picked up on from Lambchops build.) I have a full set of Ohlins decals for the forks and rear shock when they are ready to go back on also.

I appreciate the comments and more you shall receive in due time. I am currently stripping the lips of the wheels for the polished look and then I am going to paint the middles in a gloss black with clear. Should be done with those by Friday. Plus I have new seals and bearings to go in them.
post #5 of 519 Old 07-23-2014, 2:30 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 100

Garage

Very nice! Can't wait to see!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 519 Old 07-23-2014, 8:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

So far so good nice build and very clean work

2000 Honda CBR929RR
(My 929RR Build)
post #7 of 519 Old 07-23-2014, 9:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebelo929RR View Post
So far so good nice build and very clean work
Thanks Tiago, by the way I just looked at your build and we have a lot of the same taste. I was planning on ordering some 4d carbon wrap for my front fender, rear fender, air duct covers, and possibly now my under tail since it is currently sitting in primer and I don't have an exact match to go with my fairings. I was going to order an aerosol from color rite but at $35 it is just not worth it especially since the fairing color will be changing over the winter months.

Keep up the good work as well, yours build looks clean also.
post #8 of 519 Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by msebastianCBR View Post
Thanks Tiago, by the way I just looked at your build and we have a lot of the same taste. I was planning on ordering some 4d carbon wrap for my front fender, rear fender, air duct covers, and possibly now my under tail since it is currently sitting in primer and I don't have an exact match to go with my fairings. I was going to order an aerosol from color rite but at $35 it is just not worth it especially since the fairing color will be changing over the winter months.

Keep up the good work as well, yours build looks clean also.
well let me know how your air duct covers come out! i tried the carbon wrap mine n it was no bueno. lol the part thats kinda square where it tucks under the side fairings was a real mf'er n i couldnt get it to get under that part right at all... im not saying its impossible but be prepared! the 929 ducts are a lot more flat if you will n dont curve back in n around quite as bad. i just had a hair dryer but its a complicated thing to try n wrap let me tell you. lol i might try again if you pull it off tho! for sure post the results on that venture yo!
post #9 of 519 Old 07-24-2014, 9:36 AM Thread Starter

I will keep you updated Kevin on wrapping the covers.

I am going to pick up my box full of parts from the bead blaster which includes kickstand, rear sprocket, rear sets w/ 1000RR pegs, passenger sets also w/ 1000RR pegs, top fork bolts, dog bone and triangles, and a few misc. parts. These are going straight to the powder coater for a nice flat black except for the top fork bolts they are going to be red (have not decided on which shade yet).
post #10 of 519 Old 07-25-2014, 4:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by msebastianCBR View Post
I will keep you updated Kevin on wrapping the covers.

I am going to pick up my box full of parts from the bead blaster which includes kickstand, rear sprocket, rear sets w/ 1000RR pegs, passenger sets also w/ 1000RR pegs, top fork bolts, dog bone and triangles, and a few misc. parts. These are going straight to the powder coater for a nice flat black except for the top fork bolts they are going to be red (have not decided on which shade yet).
This is going to be a build thread to watch! Keep up the quality work. I recently took my frame, swingarm & bracket, subframe, driver & pass. rearsets, kickstand to the powder coater to have them coated stain black. PC is definitely the way to go. I'm terrible at rattling canning parts, I don't have the patience for all the prep work involved.

Also, I'm curious what year 1000rr the rear set and pegs are from? Is it a direct bolt-on?

Again, keep up the good work.

Thanks,
-Nick
post #11 of 519 Old 07-25-2014, 4:54 PM

not that ive needed it but i guess im lucky, my dad is the night shift production manager at a industrial powder coating plant. they do stuff for like BMW n Ford n what-not n i can pretty much walk in n throw whatever on the line for paint.

im interested in the rear set swap as well. i thought he just ment the pegs but itd be nice to know what year rear sets fit. might give me some more options when looking at aftermarkets...
post #12 of 519 Old 07-26-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbeast View Post
This is going to be a build thread to watch! Keep up the quality work. I recently took my frame, swingarm & bracket, subframe, driver & pass. rearsets, kickstand to the powder coater to have them coated stain black. PC is definitely the way to go. I'm terrible at rattling canning parts, I don't have the patience for all the prep work involved.

Also, I'm curious what year 1000rr the rear set and pegs are from? Is it a direct bolt-on?

Again, keep up the good work.

Thanks,
-Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
not that ive needed it but i guess im lucky, my dad is the night shift production manager at a industrial powder coating plant. they do stuff for like BMW n Ford n what-not n i can pretty much walk in n throw whatever on the line for paint.

im interested in the rear set swap as well. i thought he just ment the pegs but itd be nice to know what year rear sets fit. might give me some more options when looking at aftermarkets...
I appreciate the kind words Nick. I am using my stock rear sets but I got new pegs from a 04-11 1000RR. They fit perfectly inside the 954 rear sets and passenger sets. I was not happy with the front rubber pegs and the PO had put on some crappy passenger pegs that did not stay up because he half assed them.

That is awesome that you have access to PC like that. I paid $50 to have all of the parts I listed bead blasted and coated. I will pick them up on Monday. The upper fork caps were done in red baron which should look really good once I get the new fairings.
post #13 of 519 Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quick update:

I finished lapping in all the valves except 1. I have 1 bent intake valve and a bad valve guide. So I ordered a new intake valve and I am taking the head to have a new guide put in. A minor set back but I am still hopeful for next weekend. This could be the ticking noise that the PO was hearing.

I have not gotten as far as I wanted on the wheels but I have everything I need to finish them I just need to find the time. I am off Mon and Tue as well as Sat and Sun next week so I should be able to get everything finished up.
post #14 of 519 Old 07-26-2014, 5:24 PM Thread Starter

Update:

I just went over to Honda and purchased all of my fluids for the engine, forks, and brakes. I am running just plain old prestone green for cooling. I also purchased a brand new manual for $20 that has been sitting on the shelf for awhile, so I got a great deal there. Plus the girl that works there gives me 10% off of anything I buy since I have been spending a lot of money there. So now I just need to order a new radiator and headlight and I will have everything I need.
post #15 of 519 Old 07-26-2014, 6:25 PM

there are a couple a 954 bein broken in the classifieds right now... might see what kinda deal you can get on the headlight assemble n rad there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page