Minor issue - faring stay and/or throttle cables - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-21-2014, 8:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

Minor issue - faring stay and/or throttle cables

So I have a minor issue I'd like to correct. Whenever I turn a hard left or park, the throttle cable 90 degree bends will hit the fairing. A shop told me that something was broken in the fairing stays(they think my bike was used for stunting by previous owner) which is why the right side hangs a bit lower but I took things apart today and all things appear intact. Is there a common break point from wheelies?
Click image for larger version

Name:	kdk_0094.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	60660

Lower right side. 1-2 inches it appears.

Name:	kdk_0098.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	60664

I tried just pulling up the one side and snugging the bolts but that didn't do anything because of the washer sleeves that are there. I tried both up and down(which is the right way?) but that sleeve prevents real tightness against the rubber preventing holding stay in a specific spot.

Name:	bolts.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	60661

The other option is to twist the starter button/killswitch mount down. It was returned to me from the shop in this more upward position that when I gave it to them. How should the the cables be routed? How does the black plastic mount for the killswitch/starter button snug down? It does move forward/upward a bit with the turn of the throttle.

Name:	kdk_0095.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	60662

Name:	kdk_0096.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	60663

SOLD2000 Honda CBR 929 (owned 3 years and rode 10,000 miles)

No bike at all for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-21-2014, 9:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Minor issue - faring stay and/or throttle cables

Nice brake lines and banjo bolts. Where is your windscreen?

Some "helpful" thoughts:

Wheelies break fork seals, rattle the hell out of things, but it looks like someone went aftermarket on a few things known as upgrades. Universal upgrades claim to fit many applications when in fact they fit none. Who knows if they're the right clip ons?

Find a different shop, an experienced shop won't be making up excuses not to fix it right away. You're in Atlanta, imagine the choices you have others don't. That shop sounds inexperienced, try another. Second visit they will not want you giving instructions (hell they don't like it in forums either) and may over charge you for everything, best to start fresh.
THEY can route the lines under the lever, make sure you can still reach the start button (the kill switch is useless, it's just as fast and easy to reach for your keys.)
The brake lever looks bent, cheap to replace, one bolt job.

Nothing should twist or move, there are supposed to be holes drilled in the clip ons, for pins to lock things in place, someone apparently didn't handle this task due to brain damage, and cut the pins off, which sounds like what you have now.

Rant:
Got to love second hand sport bikes in the hands of one novice after another. THIS is why I never buy old bikes, especially with wrong mods slapped on the wrong way. (I hope the rev limiter lamp hasn't blown out yet.)

Pay someone to go over the whole bike if it's new to you.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-21-2014, 10:12 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

If it doesn't matter to you I would ditch both clip ons and that silly triple clamp. They will cause more problems than not if you're not gonna street fighter it. The fairing stay you showed with the white-out labeled 929 is clearly a junk yard piece. If the shop routed the cables that way they probably did it because lock to lock steering may have been a lot worse than it is now, but I don't like their decision. It looks as though you have a Repsol painted fairing? Not standard 929 fare there either. I would just take that junk yard bracket and bend it up to meet how the left side looks. If the paint cracks just re paint it. Probably what the yard did anyhow. The switch pods do have locating (well should have ) pins in them to prevent rotation. If you spin them around you'll either have to cut it out or drill another hole in the clip on. Yet another reason to ditch them. Sometimes that's they way superbike building/maintenance goes.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-22-2014, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
Find a different shop, an experienced shop won't be making up excuses not to fix it right away.
This one had been here since '89 and seemed to have good backing, even from someone on here. But I have found another one that I'll use if needed. Hopefully, nothing I can't handle from here on out. I'm decent with a car but bikes are still new to me.

Quote:
The brake lever looks bent, cheap to replace, one bolt job.
I bought this bike on the 4th of July and have put 900 miles on it since and just today noticed the level was not straight like the other..

Quote:
Nothing should twist or move, there are supposed to be holes drilled in the clip ons, for pins to lock things in place, someone apparently didn't handle this task due to brain damage, and cut the pins off, which sounds like what you have now.
The two phillips screws are the only things I saw that looked like it might tighten it.

Quote:
Rant:
Got to love second hand sport bikes in the hands of one novice after another. THIS is why I never buy old bikes, especially with wrong mods slapped on the wrong way. (I hope the rev limiter lamp hasn't blown out yet.)
Eh, I bought it not knowing any better. But, it starts, runs, and shifts well and all lights work. Least I'll learn a bit taking things apart.
__________________________________________________ _____________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
If it doesn't matter to you I would ditch both clip ons and that silly triple clamp.
I agree. I was planning to go back to the stocker once the cold weather arrives. its perfect riding weather right now so I'm not wanting too much down time as I'm not positive on how to change those pieces just yet.

Quote:
If the shop routed the cables that way they probably did it because lock to lock steering may have been a lot worse than it is now, but I don't like their decision.
What is the factory route or how would you have done it?

Quote:
It looks as though you have a Repsol painted fairing? Not standard 929 fare there either.
Pretty sure it is a Chinese ebay kit. Still is clean and looks good though.

Quote:
The switch pods do have locating (well should have ) pins in them to prevent rotation. If you spin them around you'll either have to cut it out or drill another hole in the clip on. Yet another reason to ditch them.
How would I determine the pin location?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-22-2014, 12:17 AM

Garage

The locating pins are usually molded into the plastic housing. On some there is a metal retainer in the pod with a "boss" on it to locate the proper position.

The top clamp just unbolts with the upper pinch bolts and the giant center nut. Easy.

It's tough for me to speculate how it came in regards to the throttle cables because the aftermarket clamp and clip ons have moved the original orientation of the throttle. But I'm sure they were not "jammed" around/on the brake master reservoir hose. I/you could probably find an internet shot of a proper stock 929 set up. If I find one soon I'll add it here. Get a manual, it will have it listed plain as paper. Especially if you feel you want to go forward and do more wrenching on her yourself.

Pretty good OEM representation

Last edited by IanDoohan; 09-22-2014 at 12:58 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-04-2014, 6:14 PM Thread Starter

Waiting on funds for the triple clamp and clip ons but I got new levers, black OEM style. Think they were $9 on ebay new.

I also installed a new upper fairing from partzilla. With the new part, it appears the cause for pulling low the right side is the fairing itself as the new one rests at about the same spot. It was a tight fit to pull the stay up to fit through the mirror holes. It is an aftermarket fairing kit. Once I get another triple/clip on set, I expect to have more space to route the cables angled more horizontal to the ground.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-11-2014, 7:04 PM

dude if you get rid of that top triple please hit me up. I stunt my bike and that would be perfect for me so i could get some extra height out of my clip ons.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-25-2014, 8:00 PM Thread Starter

Moving forward with the upper triple and clip on purchase

Think I found a black billet aluminum triple that I think I'm going to order once I settle on clip ons. Couple questions on clip ons though

I like the appearance of renthal (and many others) aftermarket sets but I read that some drilling is required and then having to be creative on how to mount the brake fluid reservoir. That true for all aftermarket clip ons? I'd like just as easy on as off if possible.

I also noticed the OEM clip ons seem to raise up maybe an inch or so higher than the aftermarket
post #9 of 12 Old 11-26-2014, 12:17 AM

Just measure how far up the bars the holes need to be from what you have now, mark it off on the new ones and drill. Throttle tube and installing your grips are usually more of a pita.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-22-2015, 2:10 AM Thread Starter

Finally got around to the switch. Now, the lines fit with the engine stop/starter pod actually locked in place with the knob underneath. Before the lines were more upward with it being out.

Triple tree and grips are from ebay. Went with OEM clip ons. This set up matches the bike much better.

Name:	triple tree and clip ons top view.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	61475
post #11 of 12 Old 01-22-2015, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

looks good man.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #12 of 12 Old 01-22-2015, 2:07 PM

Garage

Yeah, that looks much better

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page