Milky Oil - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Milky Oil

so as some of you know i recently had a wipe out. when i wrecked obviously my bike was laying on the road for a few minutes. it wasnt a high speed wreck and the damage was minimal but i was messing around with it today n noticed the oil is ever so slightly milky. i was wanting to know if the bike being on its side for those few minutes could be the cause of that? the bike doesnt even have any scratches on the side fairing so i just dont know how the impact of the wreck could have broken anything causing the oil to get milky. its not real bad n ive ran the bike a few times before i noticed it today. not actually driven it but just started it to let it warm up. im going to change the oil n hope like hell it stays clean but just really want to hear that simply laying on its side could have contaminated the oil. thanks for the help guys

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Milky Oil

You may of got coolant in the oil I would do an oil and filter change maybe use a bottle of engine flush to make sure if any residue
post #3 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

yeah i can only assume its coolant. its not very milky at all through the site glass so it doesnt seem like its much in there and like i said ive run the bike several times on the stand just until it got warm to keep things moving. the first time i started it after the wreck it was pretty hard to get started, since then its started right up without hesitation. my thoughts are if it was a head gasket or something the oil would have been fully milky from the few times ive ran it. the bike isnt smoking at all or anything when i did run it. i just dont understand how coolant could have found its way into the oil from laying on its side a few minutes. it was only over for maybe five or six minutes. on its right side btw. cbr 954. it would make me feel a lot better if someone could tell me how it could have happened from being on its side if its possible and not from something worse like engine damage? as mentioned tho the bike didnt hit anything but the ground n it did hardly any damage to even the plastics so i just dontthink it would be anything like a cracked block or some kinda heavy damage like that which i might expect from a impact with an object or if it had heavier damage than it sustained

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
yeah i can only assume its coolant. its not very milky at all through the site glass so it doesnt seem like its much in there and like i said ive run the bike several times on the stand just until it got warm to keep things moving. the first time i started it after the wreck it was pretty hard to get started, since then its started right up without hesitation. my thoughts are if it was a head gasket or something the oil would have been fully milky from the few times ive ran it. the bike isnt smoking at all or anything when i did run it. i just dont understand how coolant could have found its way into the oil from laying on its side a few minutes. it was only over for maybe five or six minutes.
I've only crashed air cooled bikes. I can see fuel getting in the oil, but the cooling system is pressurized when hot and doesn't leak (Under normal circumstances) Maybe Br will weigh in, I known he's seen his share of bikes on their sides. Change the oil, keep an eye on it.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #5 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Could of come from your overflow pipe when it hit the ground, would still change oil and filter as a precaution.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

I don't know how that could happen.
Have you checked your overflow bottle for oil residue? Or can you smell any exhaust in the radiator?
It's possible that your water pump seal is beginning to leak a little. I think your 945 has an inspection hose at the water pump. Any signs of leakage there?
post #7 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

so quick update, i just went out n drained the oil. it had a couple of very small wisps of milky, like maybe 1/8th of a shot glasses worth if that. lol i guess the sight glass was playing tricks on me. the thing is when i pulled the filler cap off it had a small amount of milky oil on it. the oil when i drained it out actually looked fine. so i guess im just going to throw some new oil in there n call it a day. i expected it to look a lot worse. coolant level was full to the brim in the radiator and the over flo bottle was where it should be as well. anyway once i get some more oil in there n run it a little ill report back that it stayed clear or not. thanks for the help tho guys.

post #8 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdawn50 View Post
You may of got coolant in the oil I would do an oil and filter change maybe use a bottle of engine flush to make sure if any residue
NEVER, ever, put engine flush in a motorcycle for any reason, unless you want severe engine damage.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-27-2014, 9:03 PM Thread Starter

i just ordered a gallon of cheap castrol 4t to run through it. really the oil that came out of it didnt look bad. it did have just a touch of milky stuff in it but i think itll be all good. ill throw some of the castrol along with the left over few qrts of random mc oil ive got from previous oil changes n run it a few minutes n then drain it n put the rest of the castrol in there n see whats up.

post #10 of 12 Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

I don't know how many times you ran it or for how long. On my last ZX6R I used to have it started occasionally while I was deployed. The problem I think, was that the engine and coolant did not get up to normal operating temperatures. That caused condensation to form and remain in the crankcase. It left a milky residue on the oil fill cap and the sight glass and nothing more.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-30-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

i just ran it like maybe 4 or 5 times over the last month just until it got to about 180f n shut it off. i guess something like you described happened because there was just a little milky on the cap but when i drained it the oil looked fine.

post #12 of 12 Old 09-30-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Give the engine a good run to operating temperature to burn off any condensation and when you switch the engine off leave the filler cap off for any condensation to escape, when the engine has cooled down throw the cap back on and you will be fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page