HELP - Oil leak on my 929!!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 5:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

HELP - Oil leak on my 929!!!

Hi Guys,

Yesterday when I stopped the bike and turned off the ignition there was a pop noise and smoke came up from the front of the bike. I looked around and couldn't spot anything - when I started her up again she ran fine??

This morning I spotted an oil leak from here - what is this and any ideas why it's leaking from here? Also do my headers look ok? Worried as to what this is and how it relates to the pop noise and the smoke I had yesterday.

Cheers

Alex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 5:13 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: HELP - Oil leak on my 929!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex350r View Post
Hi Guys,

Yesterday when I stopped the bike and turned off the ignition there was a pop noise and smoke came up from the front of the bike. I looked around and couldn't spot anything - when I started her up again she ran fine??

This morning I spotted an oil leak from here - what is this and any ideas why it's leaking from here? Also do my headers look ok? Worried as to what this is and how it relates to the pop noise and the smoke I had yesterday.

Cheers

Alex

That is the cam sensor.
The "pop" usually points to the valve cover gasket blowing - are you sure it's not just dripping from there after running down from the valve cover?
Check that the crankcase breather is not blocked.
It has also been associated with the stator blowing so it'd be worth checking the charging system is working.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 5:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
That is the cam sensor.
The "pop" usually points to the valve cover gasket blowing - are you sure it's not just dripping from there after running down from the valve cover?
Check that the crankcase breather is not blocked.
It has also been associated with the stator blowing so it'd be worth checking the charging system is working.
Cheers for the quick reply mate - it could well be running down from the valve cover - assuming i'll have to take some of the fairing off to get a good enough view of where it could be leaking from the valve cover?

Where can I find the crankcase breather please? As for the stator - i'll get a multimeter on her tonight and see if she is charging. As for replacing the stator will I need to drain the oil when removing the stator cover? Will looking at the stator provide any clues as to whether it is knackered or not?

Cheers

Last edited by alex350r; 10-01-2014 at 5:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 5:49 AM Thread Starter

One other thing - if it is the stator which after reading around other theads i'm 99% certain it must be - I was also getting a flickering of the lights recently.

Will I have to replace the valve cover gasket or can I just push it back in per say?

Cheers
post #5 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 6:22 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Cheers for the quick reply mate - it could well be running down from the valve cover - assuming i'll have to take some of the fairing off to get a good enough view of where it could be leaking from the valve cover?

Where can I find the crankcase breather please? As for the stator - i'll get a multimeter on her tonight and see if she is charging. As for replacing the stator will I need to drain the oil when removing the stator cover? Will looking at the stator provide any clues as to whether it is knackered or not?

Cheers

Breather comes off the valve cover on the 929.
Lean the bike against a wall and you will lose very little oil when doing the stator. If the gasket has been glued on you will probably want to replace it.
Visual inspection _might_ see a fried stator, but simply putting a multimeter on it is a _lot_ quicker, easier and probably cheaper.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 6:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Breather comes off the valve cover on the 929.
Lean the bike against a wall and you will lose very little oil when doing the stator. If the gasket has been glued on you will probably want to replace it.
Visual inspection _might_ see a fried stator, but simply putting a multimeter on it is a _lot_ quicker, easier and probably cheaper.
Great thanks - i'll check the breather first. As for the multimeter test I take it I just do the ordinary test of the charging system and note voltage?

Not too bothered about loosing oil actually as I could do with doing an oil change at the same time anyway.

Btw is this the thing I would need to replace? http://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog/info_1073.html

I'm a bit confused about the stator/alternator terminology - I take it the stator is just part of the alternator and you have to replace the whole lot??

Cheers
post #7 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 7:42 AM Thread Starter

Oh and can I get to the breather with just removing the fairing or do I need to remove tank etc etc?
post #8 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 9:17 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Great thanks - i'll check the breather first. As for the multimeter test I take it I just do the ordinary test of the charging system and note voltage?

Not too bothered about loosing oil actually as I could do with doing an oil change at the same time anyway.

Btw is this the thing I would need to replace? BB Bikeshop Ltd G89 Alternator

I'm a bit confused about the stator/alternator terminology - I take it the stator is just part of the alternator and you have to replace the whole lot??

Cheers

That link is to a stator.
The stator is the static part of the alternator, the rotor is the rotating part of the alternator.
If a component has failed generally you only need replace that, but it is possible for it to damage other components - that's why you test all the components.

post #9 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 9:19 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh and can I get to the breather with just removing the fairing or do I need to remove tank etc etc?

You would probably prop the tank and remove the airbox to reach the breather and the valve cover.
Since you are removing the valve cover it would be sensible to measure the valve clearances while you're in there.

post #10 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 9:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You would probably prop the tank and remove the airbox to reach the breather and the valve cover.
Since you are removing the valve cover it would be sensible to measure the valve clearances while you're in there.
Ok thanks - I guess i'll have to remove all the airbox gubbins including funnels etc? I do need to change the plugs so at least that will happen at the same time! Think you have to entirely remove the tank on the 929 to do that too

Will test first to see if it's obviously the stator as I've read on another thread someone was able to push the valve cover gasket back in - that's if it's even come out??
post #11 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 2:16 PM Thread Starter

So...just done some tests on the stator and here are the results. I tested first with the battery off and stator unplugged from regulator (Haynes manual said so) and the again with battery connected. I didn't bother to do a check of the charging system or with the bike running as i'm 99% certain the stator is fecked.

Basically testing across the 3 pins I could never get a consistent reading - it would jump initially to perhaps 17 and then come down before I would loose the reading entirely and it would just be blank. Think the lowest I got was 0.56 and the highest was around 16 or 17.

Then I tried the ground test and I could never get a reading from that?

Finally I did the same testing across the pins with the battery connected and that was the same - jumping around before going flat or negative and then to no reading.

Does this confirm that the stator is toast before I pull the cover??

Cheers
post #12 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 5:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok so after removing the stator cover because I couldn't get a resistance reading I then realised i'd had the multimeter on the wrong setting the whole time! and am now getting a consistent reading of 0.03 ohms across all pins/phases.

And on inspection, the stator looks completely fine (see below pic). What do you guys think - look ok to you?

Annoying i've removed the cover but it was leaking oil from down there recently (think I fitted my R&G cover without a washer on the right bolt) so replacing the gasket isn't a bad thing.

But what could it be now?!

I have just had a thought though....on inspection I can't see any oil making it's way down from up near the valve cover and in the haynes manual it says that the cam position sensor (cam pulse generator) has an o ring on it - could it simply be a knackered o ring here just slowly leaking oil past it???

Going to whip out the sensor and see but to me it now seems obvious!

What else could the pop and smoke be?

Cheers

Last edited by alex350r; 10-01-2014 at 5:31 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-01-2014, 9:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

What is the spec, not 0.03 ohms? What range are you on now? It looks like a short from the base(ground) to the coils, and the coils are nicely cooked black.
Take a whiff, does it smell burnt too?
post #14 of 19 Old 10-02-2014, 2:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
What is the spec, not 0.03 ohms? What range are you on now? It looks like a short from the base(ground) to the coils, and the coils are nicely cooked black.
Take a whiff, does it smell burnt too?
Haynes says anything from 0 to 1 ohms - any other tests I can do with the bike off to confirm whether or not it is the stator?? Will take a whiff and see if it smells burnt. Will also try measuring stator pins to ground and see what readings I get.

Cheers

Last edited by alex350r; 10-02-2014 at 2:29 AM.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-02-2014, 4:05 AM Thread Starter

Ok so tested the stator over and over again this morning and I get consistent readings of 0.3 or 0.4 ohms across the pins/phases. And i've done the ground check and it doesn't appear grounded - it also doesn't smell burnt.

Fair to say the stator is OK?

Now to figure out what else couldn't caused that pop and smoke?? I've checked the o ring on the cam sensor and it seems fine but i'm going to replace it anyway just to be sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page